Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 12:13 PM   #1  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Wink Is this true?

Hi fellow lo-carbers. I just came home from Wal-mart and purchased some of the Atkins products. I also bought a carbolite bar that says 0 sugar carbs. Now my questions is.....most of the low carb products say what the 'net carb' value is and it is usually carb - fibre = net carbs but this bar specifically says 'sugar alcohol'. The formula is carbs - fibre - sugar alcohol = net carbs. Is this the same ? The sugar alcohol is a whopping 19g....so I really don't want to be 'tricked' into having this if it is just a scam. What affect does the sugar alcohol (ingrediants list maltitol and mannitol among others)have on low carb products and then how does it affect me? Good question huh? thanks for the help
Old 09-24-2003, 04:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 255/260/200

Fortunately, I JUST read this last night!!! ....Unfortunately, I don't remember what the heck he meant!! I CAN tell you it's in Chapt 5 of the New Diet Revo book!!!

sorry
Old 09-24-2003, 05:29 PM   #3  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

I personally don't trust the whole sugar alcohol / net carb idea. First if I am trying to lessen my cravings for sweets, I find it much easier not to have anything than to have items made with sugar alcohols. For me just the taste alone makes me crave the "real stuff".

Second I read somewhere (and of course I cannot remember where) that sugar alcohols could stall your weight loss. Same as the Net Carbs. My cousin started same day as me and she has only lost 15 lbs. in almost 12 weeks. She has the Atkins shakes and bars and those sugar alcohol candies. Otherwise she eats the same as me. She doesn't have as much to lose - but she does have over 50 to lose.

If you can do without, I'd try. OH - I know where I read it!!! One the Atkins website under their success stories. Many people mentioned there that they only use the shakes/bars when they are craving bad and they might make a bad decision.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:41 PM   #4  
soon to be goddess

Angry

I agree with you, Kim in NJ. Most of the products on the Atkins website list whether they are good or not for each of the different phases. Not all the products are allowed for phase 1 (induction).And if you eat the products that are specifically for other phases it could then stop the weight loss. I buy the choc. shakes for 1 carb and serve it on crushed ice. You would thing though, if it is recommended for phase 1 that it would be okay for you on phase 1 without stalling your weight loss. How much have you lost? Erring on the side of caution, I only took one bite of the 0 sugar carb bar.....but ohhh was it good. It was a caramel/nougat bar and actually too sweet for me. I was at a meeting this morning and a bite of this bar was far, far better than the platter of Krispy Kreme donuts in front of me. I kept moving that %$*&! platter away from me only to have someone else move it back. LOL
Old 09-24-2003, 10:50 PM   #5  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Angel-eyes:
I've lost 37 so far. This week I am adding cardio and weight training to kick my body into high gear. I'm tired of feeling lethargic and not being active with my family. As long as I stay away from sweets I'll be fine. Your post even makes my mouth drool (how pathetic is that?) so I must go have a nice cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee now to get my mind off your Atkins bar!
Old 09-24-2003, 11:06 PM   #6  
soon to be goddess

Talking can I say......

WOW!!! Kim that is AWESOME!!! I'm so envious and happy for you. 37 lbs is quite the weight loss, you must have had to go out and buy alot of new clothes. $$ ca-ching$$ I think you are right to change things up a bit and add the cardio and weight training. Lets get toned!!! (not to mention to rev up the ol' metabolism) Keep up the great work!!
Old 09-25-2003, 10:36 AM   #7  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

AE,
I buy these for DH because he is doing atkins. let me tell you it is very hard to do the shopping with me on WW ( i can't do atkins because of my Crohn's and colits) but he loves them as a treat. he has them on days when he is below his alloted carb count. Your body will choose to burn the suger alcohole before the fat and carbs so if you do have this stuff, you have to use it sparingly...
Old 09-25-2003, 11:22 AM   #8  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I buy CarbWise bars, just the Smores flavor, the others are G-R-O-S-S ! I have them also as a treat. But I do notice how addicting they can be.

The longer you can stay away from these things, I personally think the better you will be, just because of their addicting power they have (over me that is lol ).
Old 09-29-2003, 12:52 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 181/158.8/135

Height: 5'5"

THIS IS SO INTERESTING TO ME. I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT THE BARS AND SHAKES CAUSING ME TO STALL BUT SOMETHING HAS AND I DO USE THE BARS AT LEAST 1 A DAY WHEN I AM AT WORK.
I AM EXCITED TO TRY WITH THE BARS AND SEE THOSE POUNDS DROP OFF I HOPE.

THANKS FOR THE INFO.
DINKI
Closed Thread