Old 01-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 155/155/125 (3/23 start)

Height: 5'2"

Default Weight Loss Support for Women

Ladies, please pass this blog article along! I would like to start something BIG!
If you've lost 50 lbs or more in your life, I'd like you to wear a friendship bracelet on your right wrist. Then we can support each other (our "sisters") and show that there are so many of us out there...struggling with their weight. And instead of being judgmental and jealous, we can encourage and support!!

http://princess-maybe.blogspot.com/

Lauren
alyssa80ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 267/159/150

Height: 5"3

I agree 100% that food can be an addiction like drugs and alcohol. I did a paper on the very subject in nursing school YEARS ago. BUT, as long as society thinks being fat is funny (I hated that Chris Farley made his money purely on being a 'fat slob' to laugh at in all his movies.) and/or people who are overweight are lazy etc... it obesity will never be taken seriously. AND unlike previously mentioned 'diseases' there is no support unless you want to pay for treatment yourself. Diets, gyms..... You can't be admitted to the hospital for obesity and get into a treatment program (insurance benefit) like ETOH or drugs. Why is that???

I have seen patients so overweight, so sick and yet all they think of is food. Hello!!?? That's a problem. They maybe can't breathe, are nauseous, diarrhea... and yet ask, where's my dinner??

This is a very sore subject for me, can you tell??

And right now, look us doing IP, to do this on our own is $$$$. Dieting programs are very much a money making business, more so than a real need to help the obese. Look at all the problems we've had with coaches around the country. And it's not just IP, you hear stories like this about other programs, trainers at gyms....I am not blasting any program or IP. But currently, it is what it is.

Years ago I was friends with a beautiful, thin girl. I wish I could have had a body like hers. One day, I joked you are so skinny, you can eat anything. She was upset. She didn't like her thin body. To her she was a flawed as I thought I was.

Sorry to ramble, I've had caffeine but this upsets me to no end.

I think this is a great idea and should be looked into to be made like all the other bands out there people wear. The proceeds could go to a charity to educate women, families etc..on better health and nutrition?? Just a thought.

Off my soapbox.
NinjaNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #3  
Started IP 1/14/2012

S/C/G: 286/165/169

Height: 5'9"

Interesting idea. I just watched a Dr. Oz show last week when I was home sick and they had past Bigger Loser contestants on that talked about how they stay successful. Tara showed us a bracelet that she wears on her dominant wrist, one of the kind that was personalized with a message that meant something to her. The idea was that when she was standing in the grocery isle talking to her favorite team of Ben & Jerry trying to decide on Chunky Monkey or what other flavor of ice cream for the day, as she would reach to take a container she would see the bracelet and remember what she had accomplished so far. The reminder would help her to replace the container and be happy with her choice. The idea really stuck with me but I haven't yet figured out how I want to incorporate that into my life.
KitKat169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #4  
Started IP 1/14/2012

S/C/G: 286/165/169

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaNurse View Post
I agree 100% that food can be an addiction like drugs and alcohol. I did a paper on the very subject in nursing school YEARS ago. BUT, as long as society thinks being fat is funny (I hated that Chris Farley made his money purely on being a 'fat slob' to laugh at in all his movies.) and/or people who are overweight are lazy etc... it obesity will never be taken seriously. AND unlike previously mentioned 'diseases' there is no support unless you want to pay for treatment yourself. Diets, gyms..... You can't be admitted to the hospital for obesity and get into a treatment program (insurance benefit) like ETOH or drugs. Why is that???

I have seen patients so overweight, so sick and yet all they think of is food. Hello!!?? That's a problem. They maybe can't breathe, are nauseous, diarrhea... and yet ask, where's my dinner??

And right now, look us doing IP, to do this on our own is $$$$. Dieting programs are very much a money making business, more so than a real need to help the obese. Look at all the problems we've had with coaches around the country. And it's not just IP, you hear stories like this about other programs, trainers at gyms....I am not blasting any program or IP. But currently, it is what it is.

Years ago I was friends with a beautiful, thin girl. I wish I could have had a body like hers. One day, I joked you are so skinny, you can eat anything. She was upset. She didn't like her thin body. To her she was a flawed as I thought I was.

I think this is a great idea and should be looked into to be made like all the other bands out there people wear. The proceeds could go to a charity to educate women, families etc..on better health and nutrition?? Just a thought.

Off my soapbox.
Thanks for sharing your rambles. I think we all feel this way at some point in time but aren't always brave enough to share it.

I have come to the realization of my own role in contributing to my weight gain over the years and it has caused me at times to redirect that anger towards myself. When I look back at pictures when I was in my teenage years, I don't understand why I thought I was so overweight but yet I remember having problems with my image then. However I was the one that allowed my behaviour to get further out of control because "heck, I'm already fat what can an extra pint of ice cream do". I'm working to change those thoughts so if I do fall off the wagon, I don't let myself continue down that same path. I need to pick myself up and move forward again.

I have a skinny friend at work that I've been able to have some very good conversations with about weight. She is one of the naturally skinny, eats chocolate, etc. without gaining but she is also very active and mostly eats healthy. However she is very tall and has a hard time building muscle in her legs. So she has to shop only specialty stores to find pants long enough and needs to get most things altered if she wants to have form fitting pants or high boots. The difference between us is that I have made changes to stop my need to shop at specialty plus size stores. She can't do anything to make a difference. We all have our struggles and I've realized it isn't fair to judge who's are worse but I feel pretty fortunate to have the ones I've had.
KitKat169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #5  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

I have created my "wuv" bracelet and several people have purchased them to wear so that they will remember that I am watching them. They are simple bracelet but it reminds each person who bought one that I personally MADE it for them with my own hands so that makes it even more special. If anyone is interested I can post a few pictures of some of them or you can see them on my FB page
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #6  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat169 View Post
Interesting idea. I just watched a Dr. Oz show last week when I was home sick and they had past Bigger Loser contestants on that talked about how they stay successful. Tara showed us a bracelet that she wears on her dominant wrist, one of the kind that was personalized with a message that meant something to her. The idea was that when she was standing in the grocery isle talking to her favorite team of Ben & Jerry trying to decide on Chunky Monkey or what other flavor of ice cream for the day, as she would reach to take a container she would see the bracelet and remember what she had accomplished so far. The reminder would help her to replace the container and be happy with her choice. The idea really stuck with me but I haven't yet figured out how I want to incorporate that into my life.
This is EXACTLY why I chose to reward my 10lb milestones with an Alex & Ani charm bracelet. I wear them every day, and any time I come close to a temptation, even just hearing them jingle against each other is enough to stop me in my tracks.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #7  
Started IP 4/4/2012

S/C/G: 267.8/150/150

Height: 5'5'

I do an Alex & Ani for every 25 pounds. 5 pounds to go until my next one! They are a visual reminder of what I've accomplished.
Lynnie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaNurse View Post

Off my soapbox.
You have put very well why I am NOT A FAN of the show The Biggest Loser. I see it as just another exploitation of fat people. Feed them wrong and "whip them into shape". NOT A FAN. Not one little bit.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnie63 View Post
I do an Alex & Ani for every 25 pounds. 5 pounds to go until my next one! They are a visual reminder of what I've accomplished.
You look AMAZING!
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 250?/146.6/160?

Height: 5' 7 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
This is EXACTLY why I chose to reward my 10lb milestones with an Alex & Ani charm bracelet. I wear them every day, and any time I come close to a temptation, even just hearing them jingle against each other is enough to stop me in my tracks.
I really need something like this, but I'm a person who doesn't wear much/any jewelry at all. That's why I've thought of a tattoo once I hit goal....
Starshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #11  
Started IP 4/4/2012

S/C/G: 267.8/150/150

Height: 5'5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealProteinNewbie View Post
You look AMAZING!
Thanks!
Lynnie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:13 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 155/155/125 (3/23 start)

Height: 5'2"

Good ideas ladies! And I'm glad this spoke to some of you. I didn't even THINK to also use the bracelets to remind people who have the lost the weight to think before they go back to an old habit. What a great idea!!!!

As for the making bracelets, I thought about it!! I've had quite a few people request and I'm trying to find someone who is willing since I've got my own hands full
alyssa80ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #13  
6/26/12 start 355

S/C/G: see tracker

bump - I just checked the blog link, you will have to scroll down to 2/1/13 for the pertinent subject. Although I feel sad she's got other happenings in her blog too now that I checked it :-(.

Last edited by Halfagain; 03-23-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Halfagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #14  
Fresh start

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfagain View Post
bump - I just checked the blog link, you will have to scroll down to 2/1/13 for the pertinent subject. Although I feel sad she's got other happenings in her blog too now that I checked it :-(.
I just saw this thread when you bumped--- read her blog, and she has other stuff going on --- hopefully everything works out good for her.
foreveryoung is offline   Reply With Quote