South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-07-2013, 03:54 AM   #1  
No Excuses~Better Choices

S/C/G: 14st 6lb/13st 12lb/10st 5lb

Height: 5'2"

Default Problem getting fat free/reduced fat, no added sugar/low salt ...

I have a real problem getting hold of fat free/reduced fat/no added sugar/low salt products, etc.

Living in Hong Kong, the supermarkets here aren't really geared up to 'healthy options' when it comes to items such as canned foods (beans/tomatoes/etc), or cheeses ... it's very rare to see low fat/reduced fat cheeses. Many of the recipes that I've seen in SBD books require this, but I'm struggling find them!!

I was all set for making the ricotta muffins for breakfast, only to realise that I needed part-skimmed ricotta, but I can only find the full fat version! The same with the Almond Energy Blast - no chance of finding low fat, low sugar vanilla soy milk - just a carton of standard soy milk on the shelves!

At least I can get skimmed milk and low fat cottage cheese ... I should be thankful for small mercies I guess ...

So, is it going to be a complete waste of time trying to do any of these recipes that call for no added sugar versions, or fat free versions of a particular ingredient? Could I, for example, get away with using reduced fat when a recipe calls for fat free? Or could I use low sugar instead of sugar free? Assuming I can find these ....

Any suggestions/advice would be most helpful, thanks!
Fat in Hong Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:05 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

To make SBD work, you have to stick with the low/no sugar versions. However, you could use the higher fat products (mmmmm), but that's hitting the calorie thing. You may try using a little less or having smaller portions.

FWIW, I rarely have any problems with sugar free stuff, since I just don't by products that I have to watch. Dressing and barbeque sauce would be the worst things (and I honestly just get real barbeque sauce and not have much, or avoid it on phase I).
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:05 AM   #3  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Using low fat or even full fat might slow your loss but won't have a negative impact on cravings. I often use full fat cheese, just smaller amounts. I hate all the fillers in fat free stuff. So far it hasn't been a problem. Maybe try it and if your weight loss stalls cut back a little?

Low sugar as opposed to sugar free could be a problem though and I'd avoid those. If you keep eating added sugar you will probably not get your cravings completely under control. I'd go for the skim milk instead of the sugar added soy milk personally.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:49 AM   #4  
No Excuses~Better Choices

S/C/G: 14st 6lb/13st 12lb/10st 5lb

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for the advice, I'll do my best to stay on plan!

On the bright side, due to the absence of part-skimmed ricotta, I've just had a go at making the breakfast muffins in the recipe section here ... the ones made with egg, plain yogurt, ground flax, cinnamon & baking powder, cooked in a ramekin for 1.5 mins in the microwave ... WOW! I honestly never thought they would turn out so good! I thought they'd be like a puffed up scrambled egg, but they really do have the consistency of muffins!

My daughter thought they were pretty good too, although she doesn't like cinnamon, so suggested I tried one with vanilla extract ... also yummy! I know what I'm having for breakfast tomorrow!

Last edited by Fat in Hong Kong; 01-07-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Fat in Hong Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:22 AM   #5  

Height: 5'6"

I'm just piping in to say I feel your pain lol... in finding low-fat/ sugar-free versions of anything..

I live in rural India, those terms are non existent here... About once every other month I drive 3 hours one way to the big city for "shopping runs" ... I can sometimes sugar free there.. , I have cut out all dairy from my diet recently.. & low-fat soy-milk is non existent, though I can find it without added sugar. soy cheese? forgetaboutit lol..

I tend to eat more natural/ less processed things I can get locally.. lots of beans, veggies & egg... Plus side for me is less temptations..

those muffins sound yummy!
indigal is offline   Reply With Quote