Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 10:58 AM   #1  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Default Exercise - Does Anyone Do It ?

I don't know about you guys but I need motivation to exercise. I plum right out can't stand it.

What are you guys doing and how has it helped you w/your weight loss ?
Old 09-23-2003, 11:07 AM   #2  
thin within

i'm not doing any right now, unless you count unpacking boxes. before moving, i was walking up to ten miles a morning. i saw no more results with 8 to 10 than i did with 3 to 5 a day. i think my body just got used to it.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:32 AM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

WOW ! 10 miles a day, my feet hurt just thinking about it lol

Do you get any leg cramps ? I've been taking 2,400 mg Calcium/Magnesium and I'm still getting lower caf cramps. Could it be I need more water ? I'm already drinking 64 oz, just can't get anymore in.......egads LOL.

Believe it or not, I used to power walk 5 miles a day, but that was when I was young and stupid, now I'm just old and stupid LOL
Old 09-23-2003, 11:52 AM   #4  
thin within

no, i didn't get leg cramps. the only time i've had problems with that is when i needed more potassium. so, i'd eat bananas. on atkins though, couldn't do that. i believe NoSalt is straight potassium. you might check into that. walking feels really good on my back. i had a ruptured disc removed in 96. once i get my boxes done, i plan to start walking againl. the leslie sansone walking tapes are good too. i'm trying to estimate if i will feel safe walking in neighborhood before my husband leaves for work, usually between 6 and 7. we have been living out of the states for three months. i've not felt unsafe so far, but don't want to be stupid either. walking is really the only exercise that i've ever stuck with. good luck!
Old 09-23-2003, 12:56 PM   #5  

Unfortunately, I don't exercise - with work and other committments I just don't take the time.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:34 PM   #6  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

This my area of most concern...as I am a LAZY, LAZY FROUFIE...

We have a treadmill at home, so there is no excuse (except for lack of time and motivation of course)....and I have been walking outside, but it is getting dark earlier these days....and unless I leave by 6:30 pm or so, which is next to impossible due to dinner time) I can't go walking.

Yes, I do have videotapes I can do, but I really have to WANT to do them...I prefer "dancing exercise" so have a couple of the Richard Simmons tapes.

What do others do to ensure that exercise is a priority in their lives?

Froufie
Old 09-23-2003, 05:37 PM   #7  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

I have pretty much an entire gym's worth of exercise paraphenalia and yet I don't do it...YET! I am starting to feel better about myself so I might make the plunge within the next week. I think I'm going to start with Jane Fonda's low impact aerobics (since I remember the steps from years ago)...and then move on to lifting weights 3X a week. If I could do these 2 things I would be SO HAPPY!!!!

Leens - I used to have lower calf pain too when walking. I went online to Runners Worlds.com and found that picking up a pair of sneakers at Payless was probably not such a good idea. I went out and bought a pair of Asics GT2050's ($90) and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! I bought them at "Athlete's Foot" because the salespeople there really know what they are doing - well at least the guy I dealt with. He didn't even freak when he saw my size. But before the new sneakers my feet would burn and my lower calves felt like my muscles were locking up (almost like a charlie horse). With the new sneakers I could easily walk over 3 miles. I used to quit because of the pain each day, after the new sneakers I was ending my walk because I was running out of time and had to get to work. Hope this Helps.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:23 AM   #8  
WW Moderator

I have become sort of addicted to my treadmill. I have always HATED my treadmill, and hated my basement, home of the treadmill, even more. It has been called the Dreadmill in the Dungeon for years. Well now I love it, and I think it is because I have gotten a habit of it, FINALLY. I really procrastinate big time, so I always set my goal low. It was 20 minutes. I could convince myself 15-20 minutes was all I had to do, so just get it over with. My 15-20 has moved to 30, but I almost always do 45, sometimes 60. Knowing that 30 is my goal, and I can stop there and be satisfied gets me there. Once I have been on there, I usually want to keep going until I am all worn out.

I think it took tricking myself to get in the habit, and now my system is hooked on the endorphins!
Old 09-24-2003, 08:56 AM   #9  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Way to go girls, Jennifer I also was addicted to walking, when I power walked 5 miles 6x a week (less then 1 hour ) I started out w/15 minutes of slow walking and built up to that. sigh lol

Kim now you got me curious, what size shoes do you wear or shouldn't I ask

I have an eliptical sitting in my living room, and I look at the darn thing every day and say, thats nice. But do I get on it.. NOPE. Just can't get myself to do it yet. But believe it or not I do keep thinking about it, so maybe I'm getting closer to maybe even trying it lol.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:59 PM   #10  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Leens - you are so funny! I didn't mean my shoe size....I meant my clothing size I walked in wearing my size 26/28 asking for a pair of running shoes! Not a snicker or a comment from him and he was so nice. As I checked out he wished me luck with my new program and told me to start slow so as not to burn out.
Old 09-24-2003, 02:55 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 194/165/135

Height: 5'4"

Exercise...
I don't do it everyday but I at least shoot for 5x/wk. Its not that much but this is what I do. I work night shift in a nursing home and it is VERY quiet at night. Its a large building with long hallways. So I walk for 20-30 min at a fast pace with my walkman everynight for my lunch break. After I wake up in the afternoon, I watch TV doing my elliptical program, just the 20min easier program on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. The other days I have a Bun and Thigh Rocker but really don't know if I get any benefit from that. I also do a short upper body toning band workout days I do the Rocker.

I used to have an XL Glider. I loved it. Had it for years. But Sams Club had this $499 Elliptical on the clearance aisle for $139!! I had to have it so the XL is in the shed as I don't have room for both. It was a great deal but I miss my XL.
Old 09-24-2003, 03:52 PM   #12  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Quote:
Originally posted by Kim in NJ
Leens - you are so funny! I didn't mean my shoe size....I meant my clothing size I walked in wearing my size 26/28 asking for a pair of running shoes! Not a snicker or a comment from him and he was so nice. As I checked out he wished me luck with my new program and told me to start slow so as not to burn out.
ROFLMFAO !!!

I though maybe you were like a mens size 20 or something like that.

Did you ever see the movie Duce Bigalow (sp?). The one woman he dates has feet the size of my entire arm Well in the movie it sounds like they are making whoopie because she is moaning and groaning, but he is really massaging her feet

Last edited by Leens; 09-24-2003 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-24-2003, 04:10 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 255/260/200

I don't exercise much, I need to though. I do walk for about 30 min at work by running errands between buildings throughout the day, but the rest of the day I'm sitting down or by the copier. Then when I get home, I'm lazy and plant myself in front of the TV, which is a habit I really want to change. As for right now, I don't have any plans this minute of starting, but I'm counting on that much-talked-about-burst-of-energy to get me motivated!!!
Old 09-24-2003, 09:24 PM   #14  
Slimwithin

I am the laziest person on Earth but for the past 9 years or so, I've been trying to get to the pool 3 X a week and do deep water jogging and other water exercises with some friends. I dont always make it but lately I've been trying to be more consistent.
Recently, I began doing the Body Flex Plus Workout and I have to say it's the first exercise routine that I've actually enjoyed and I'm beginning to see results. Not in size, because I've expanded instead of shrunk but I think I'm building a new layer of muscle under my flab. My hope is that eventually the muscle will eat up the flab and I'll be thin and toned. BF is only 15-20 minutes once or twice a day and you can do it sitting down...just the ticket for a couch potato.
BTW, last summer I bought a recumbant bike which resides in our guest bedroom. There's even a tv in there that I could watch. Guess how many times I've ridden it. ONCE!!
Old 09-25-2003, 12:04 AM   #15  

I do think exericise is very important with any weight loss approach but I am a procrastinator too...i work second shift and i rarely get up in enough time to cook something for lunch..cook something to take to work plus go to the gym...recently bought a bike so that way i can just hop on it..but havent even done that! agh...but i was losing faster when i was exercising and i felt alot better and had more energy
Closed Thread