Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Default Maintainers staying lean in 2013

Time to move forward in the New Year. Whatever we did or did not do in 2012 is in the past. Time to move forward.
I am starting 2013 still at goal but up a little bit due to a nasty binge a couple of days ago.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #2  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

bargoo, thanks for the new thread! This maintainer will GET lean in 2013 - time to ditch the skinny-fat. And not so skinny at the moment either. Now that I'm poking my head up from last week's abyss, the holiday damage appears to be a genuine 4 pounds. Today, back to logging, with a 1500 calorie target M-F, and 1700 for Sat/Sun. I'm starting small on the exercise - 1 yoga, 1 TRX session, and 1 pool per week for January. Onward!
Old 01-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
I'm starting small on the exercise - 1 yoga, 1 TRX session, and 1 pool per week for January. Onward!
Doesn't sound small to me, but I believe you can do it !
Old 01-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #4  
Recovering Pantry Pest

bargoo, it is important to note that I didn't specify time. I've lost most of my masochistic tendencies.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #5  

Quote:
bargoo, it is important to note that I didn't specify time. I've lost most of my masochistic tendencies.
Sounds like you are moving forward .
Old 01-05-2013, 10:22 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'm torn between trying to get into an exercise routing starting this week only to have it interrupted on our cruise or just waiting until I'm done with the cruise.

Is it weird that I'm not really looking forward to this cruise so much?

1.7 pounds above where I was pre-Thanksgiving, so I think I did a pretty good job of not gaining too much over the holidays. I think all the golf helped. We didn't golf nearly as much last year.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post

Is it weird that I'm not really looking forward to this cruise so much?

Yes! Why wouldn't you be looking forward to the cruise?!?! I forgot where you were going? I remember it sounded amazing though!

Dh and I have been going back and forth about planning a trip. I wanted to do an amazing beach vacation-- dh was hesitant to spend $$ and he doesn't like trying new things/places. I finally pinned him down and we booked a cruise last night. We found a great deal and will be doing a 7 day cruise out of Galveston to Cozumel, Belize, and Honduras. So, my goal is to get down to my "happy weight" by March.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #8  
Recovering Pantry Pest

allison, I think I get where you're coming from. Maybe the key is to shoot for a "medium" ... maybe plan for a ROUTINE when you get back, but don't let that shoot you in the foot for not doing anything between now and then. It would be unfortunate to wall yourself off from enjoying a special time!
Old 01-05-2013, 01:41 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveling michele View Post
Yes! Why wouldn't you be looking forward to the cruise?!?! I forgot where you were going? I remember it sounded amazing though!

Dh and I have been going back and forth about planning a trip. I wanted to do an amazing beach vacation-- dh was hesitant to spend $$ and he doesn't like trying new things/places. I finally pinned him down and we booked a cruise last night. We found a great deal and will be doing a 7 day cruise out of Galveston to Cozumel, Belize, and Honduras. So, my goal is to get down to my "happy weight" by March.
Our cruise is the Smooth Jazz Cruise, round trip from Ft. Lauderdale with stops in Cancun, Belize and Key West. A lot of cruising and not too many ports, but the focus is on music. I often regret planning trips as they come close because it's just such a hassle--packing, TSA, flying, hotels and then all again in reverse! I'm sure once I'm there I'll have a great time.

Quote:
allison, I think I get where you're coming from. Maybe the key is to shoot for a "medium" ... maybe plan for a ROUTINE when you get back, but don't let that shoot you in the foot for not doing anything between now and then. It would be unfortunate to wall yourself off from enjoying a special time!
Good idea! Let's see, two days of golf--walking 18 (short) holes will be good for the weekend, but I'll try to get in a couple treadmill or elliptical sessions this week.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #10  
Recovering Pantry Pest

allison, sounds like a solid plan!

michele, March should be fantastic timing for a cruise - just before the winter fatigue really takes hold.

I ended up under 1200 calories today; the first day is always a good one, isn't it? And I set up my TRX and tried each of the exercises in the Basic Training workout. I can see how one could get themselves into real trouble with this thing, trying to do more that what's sensible!
Old 01-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #11  

Gaw! Golf (and a long day of that) followed by burgers and tater tots at my in-laws. I only ate 10 tater tots, but still. Not the healthiest of choices.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:19 AM   #12  

I remember when Tater Tots and Fish Sticks first came on the market ( new to me anyway), had them a lot until I realized they are really not that good.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #13  
Recovering Pantry Pest

Processed foods were a really big part of my life while I was growing up. I have some fond memories of tater tots with Worcestershire sauce. And for that matter, instant mashed potatoes, Kraft M&C, Swanson TV dinners, "processed cheese food" ... it's a long list. I still will revert to frozen dinners when left alone, but I now read labels religiously and end up paying $6-7 each. I seem to remember DH saying early in our marriage that bringing a box of Bisquick into the house was grounds for divorce, and he proceeded to prove that the exact same thing can be made for pennies on the dollar, in exactly the amount needed, almost as fast.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #14  

When I was newly married I was not an accomplished cook but a snobbish one, nevertheless, I would not have used a pancake mix or a cake mix under any circumstances , I was a scratch cook , I want you to know. I have gotten over that .Now I am not at all ashamed to bake a Duncan Hines cake and take it to a potluck.

Last edited by bargoo; 01-06-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #15  
Recovering Pantry Pest

bargoo, for me it depends on the crowd being served. Heck yes, I will take shortcuts for people who eat without tasting. Baked goods ... especially. I can make a cheesecake that can make people cry, but you have to be worth the several hours' investment.
Closed Thread