Old 01-04-2013, 09:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 310(1996)/210/160

Height: 5'6"

Default New Here

Hello all, (excuse my rambling on a bit)

I'm new to this board and relatively new to IP. In 1996 I weighed 310 pounds and had gastric bypass. It has been a crazy journey since then with MANY health complications including a brush with death and several major surgeries. (If anyone is considering gastric bypass, please send me an email and I'll tell you the WHOLE truth about what all it entails. You can then make your own decision from there on if you want to do it or not)

Thankfully I'm healthy now and am ready to get going with this.

This last summer I tried IP for a SHORT time and lost 9 pounds. Life was crazy and I wasn't all that committed to it so I stopped. I'm a single mom with one child left at home and have a hectic job that requires me to be on the road most days. I rarely have access to a microwave to make something for lunch so I'm trying to figure out how to jump over that hurdle. I'm also working on my Masters and am part owner of a floral shop with my boyfriend. Because of our schedules we tend to eat out a lot, but he is more than willing to support me on this and cook at home more.

Even though it has been a very long time since I was 310 pounds I still struggle with self esteem issues. I was single for a long time and now dating a great guy. The "problem" there is that his ex gf was a gymnast and still weighs about 98 pounds soaking wet. Although she actually looks more like a 12 year old boy I compare myself to her and it brings up all my ghosts. I know I shouldn't do this, but I do.

I only have 33 pounds to get to my goal of 155, which isn't all that thin,but a few years ago I got down to 150 and had people asking me if I was sick and my mom telling me that I needed to gain weight in my face (HOW in the heck do you do that??). Basically I want to get back into my size 8 jeans again and whatever weight that is.. that is my goal.

Two weeks from today my boyfriend and I leave for DC to attend the inauguration and swearing in. We will have a lot of functions to go to and I would love to lose at least 10 pounds by then if possible. I will say right now that while I'm out there I fully intend to eat what ever I want and start over when I get back!

So.. I'm a bit nervous about this, but I'm committed for at the very least the next two weeks. I know that makes it not seem as daunting to me and if I can just look at two weeks at a time it isn't as scary. I'm sure some of you are laughing at me because 33 pounds isn't much at all, but the journey has been a long one for me up to this point and it would be great to say I've gotten to a place where I can just be happy with where I'm at.

Any advice for eating on the road would be great. I have some of the Chicken ala King and Chili packets for the next week as well as some of the bars and vanilla drinks.

Have a great and inspired day!
Kim
kimberanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #2  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

Welcome! When traveling, I stick to bars and packets or RTD's only. That way, I don't have to worry about a microwave. I've found it pretty easy to stay on plan when travelng for business. For business lunches always get a salad (no croutons, cheese or dressing) and then ask for oil and vinegar or lemon. Dinners grilled meat and veggies, no butter.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #3  

Hey Kim, Welcome!!!!! I doubt any anyone would laugh at this site because I could have told your story about the self esteem issues and I think those issues are pretty common for many who are overweight. So glad that you are doing IP. One thing that Ive learned is that I have to get rid of the thoughts of "eating anything I want" because that is what got me to my highest weight. I would enjoy but carefully. Others will have better advice about phasing off. Welcome and please come back often! This place is so supportive and keeps me on plan!
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Welcome, Kim! Sounds like you've had quite a journey so far. Believe me, no one is going to laugh at you for 'only' wanting to lose 33 pounds! That's significant, and there is a large range of amount of weight the folks on this board want to lose! Like you said, it's been a long journey for you... congratulations on coming so far and overcoming so many obstacles to get here.

It's so easier said than done, but don't compare yourself to your boyfriend's ex! They're not together anymore for a reason, and he is also with you for a reason (or many reasons! lol) He would not be with you if he weren't attracted to you and happy with you. How long have you been together? I find that in the beginning of a relationship I feel pretty insecure about my SO's exes- but as time goes on, it becomes insignificant.

Have fun on your trip!

Last edited by djs06; 01-04-2013 at 09:38 AM.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #5  
IP Start date 12/18/12

S/C/G: 228.4/171/165

Height: 5 ft 10 inches

Hi there!
Welcome. Wow. You have been through a lot and how could that not leave emotional scars on you? You'll get to a place where you wont care that she weighs 98 pounds. He clearly prefers you or he'd still be with her.

This is a great board and although I've only been on it for 2.5 weeks now I have had so much help here. The people are GREAT.

Rebecca
BeccaGrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #6  

Kim: my mom lost a total of 35 lbs on IP.. although my journey is longer, her weight loss & increased health is to be applauded! Whatever the amt to lose, it is about increased health and wellness if a lifestyle change is the outcome. Plus, your journey is about way more than the last 33 lbs!

I'd caution you from using IP as a crash diet before your DC trip. It really isn't a crash diet. It is a no-cheat plan. There will always be circumstances that can take precedence over weight loss, health and wellness. It is all in our mindset how we choose to face those challenges. I'd suggest picking a time when your head is 100% "in the game" and staying on IP for the long run, rather than yo-yoing. We all already know THAT is not good for us!
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

No one will laugh at how much you have to lose to get to your goal. The last 33 took forever in my head and really the last 10 sucked too! All are valid here!

As for self esteem issues, we all got them in different forms so no one is going to judge you but it's nice to have a place to say "hey I'm feeling this" and someone can say "hey me too".

I agree with Becca, he prefers you over her so as easy as it sounds 'ppppffff' to 98 lbs soaking wet, who wants to hug a pile of bones anyway.

When travelling on Phase 1 I usually just stick to what I'm suppose to be doing and really keep up on the floralax, to keep things moving. Traveling a lot means you're sitting a lot which isn't helpful. I also concentrate on the water a tad more (maybe not DRINK more but really pay attention because of the bathroom issues associated with drinking 3-4 litres).

When eating out, be sure to say "no extras" so no extra sauces that you don't know the ingredients of, no veggies steamed and slathered in butter (obviously plain steamed is great).

If you're going to do it, read up on the science as it really puts your pancreas from over heated into normal mode. Using it to get into a dress usually means you're putting your pancreas back into over heated and you're more likely to gain it back.

Good luck!

Last edited by Ishbel; 01-04-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #8  

Thanks all for the welcome.

My SO and I have been together for almost a year (will be a year in February), but he had issues getting past their break up so I really feel like we've been on solid ground for only a few months.

I guess saying I'm going to eat what ever I want on the trip isn't totally accurate. I'll watch it and my SO is a healthy eater so it isn't all that tough to eat healthy. I just know that I won't stick to IP while I'm out there. It is a once in a lifetime event and I'll be going to several cocktail parties that will be serving only appetizers. I'm not going to wait to start until after I'm back because if I do that there will always be "something" that comes up.

I really want to be to my goal by my son's HS graduation in May and I know that won't be too tough.

I have a short day today for work so I'll be able to come home and actually make something for lunch and then tomorrow and Sunday will be good as well. I think if I plan ahead it can work. I can always have my meat meal for lunch and make a chicken salad or something and have my IP packet at night. It is just a lot easier to eat the meat meal at night with my son or my SO.

I'm looking forward to reporting successes... now.. I'm on the road for a bit.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #9  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberanne View Post
Hello all, (excuse my rambling on a bit)

I'm new to this board and relatively new to IP. In 1996 I weighed 310 pounds and had gastric bypass. It has been a crazy journey since then with MANY health complications including a brush with death and several major surgeries. (If anyone is considering gastric bypass, please send me an email and I'll tell you the WHOLE truth about what all it entails. You can then make your own decision from there on if you want to do it or not)

Thankfully I'm healthy now and am ready to get going with this.

This last summer I tried IP for a SHORT time and lost 9 pounds. Life was crazy and I wasn't all that committed to it so I stopped. I'm a single mom with one child left at home and have a hectic job that requires me to be on the road most days. I rarely have access to a microwave to make something for lunch so I'm trying to figure out how to jump over that hurdle. I'm also working on my Masters and am part owner of a floral shop with my boyfriend. Because of our schedules we tend to eat out a lot, but he is more than willing to support me on this and cook at home more.

Even though it has been a very long time since I was 310 pounds I still struggle with self esteem issues. I was single for a long time and now dating a great guy. The "problem" there is that his ex gf was a gymnast and still weighs about 98 pounds soaking wet. Although she actually looks more like a 12 year old boy I compare myself to her and it brings up all my ghosts. I know I shouldn't do this, but I do.

I only have 33 pounds to get to my goal of 155, which isn't all that thin,but a few years ago I got down to 150 and had people asking me if I was sick and my mom telling me that I needed to gain weight in my face (HOW in the heck do you do that??). Basically I want to get back into my size 8 jeans again and whatever weight that is.. that is my goal.

Two weeks from today my boyfriend and I leave for DC to attend the inauguration and swearing in. We will have a lot of functions to go to and I would love to lose at least 10 pounds by then if possible. I will say right now that while I'm out there I fully intend to eat what ever I want and start over when I get back!

So.. I'm a bit nervous about this, but I'm committed for at the very least the next two weeks. I know that makes it not seem as daunting to me and if I can just look at two weeks at a time it isn't as scary. I'm sure some of you are laughing at me because 33 pounds isn't much at all, but the journey has been a long one for me up to this point and it would be great to say I've gotten to a place where I can just be happy with where I'm at.

Any advice for eating on the road would be great. I have some of the Chicken ala King and Chili packets for the next week as well as some of the bars and vanilla drinks.

Have a great and inspired day!
Kim
Welcome! There is no "only" in a 33 pound loss. Every pound is significant. I started out wanting to lose about the same amount, and have worked every day for the last month to stick with the plan. I'm still less than half the way there, but making steady progress.

In my case, I'm really committed to getting back to my optimal and healthy weight as soon as possible. I stayed OP through Christmas and New Year's, and was out of town on business and then on vacation for a total of 19 days in the last month. This included *many* restaurant meals and parties. Honestly, staying OP really wasn't that hard. I say all of this in case you might want to consider staying on the plan once you start. I know after putting this much effort into the first couple of weeks there was no way I was going to toss that all away for a few meals, and then have to go through the toughest part all over again.

When traveling, I often use RTDs, drink packets, and mix IP cappuccino in my coffee. It's been easier to stick with IP than anything else I've ever tried, despite the time of year and abundant temptations!

Good luck on this last part of your journey, and congrats on how far you've come!!
bubbleblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #10  

I to had gastric bypass it's been 10 years. I lost from 305 down 145. I had health issues also and never would recommend it. I started IP at the end of August and have had real good results. I was having trouble with my sugar bottoming out and my hormons well that's a story in its self. This program is worth every dime. I have never felt better. Good luck.
newlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlady View Post
I to had gastric bypass it's been 10 years. I lost from 305 down 145. I had health issues also and never would recommend it. I started IP at the end of August and have had real good results. I was having trouble with my sugar bottoming out and my hormons well that's a story in its self. This program is worth every dime. I have never felt better. Good luck.

Newlady, blood sugars was a big issue. I ended up having more than half of my pancreas removed in 2004 and am one of 6 people in a research paper out of Mayo because of it. I still have to watch as I get low blood sugars, but overall, I'm good there.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #12  
8/23/12 - 1/6/13

S/C/G: 170/140/135

Height: 5' 5"

I live just outside of DC, and the food here is not so great. I would stick to the program and if you want to celebrate afterward, go to New Orleans where they really know how to do food.

Plus, at all these functions, no one is looking at you or how much you are eating or not eating, and there will be many people not eating.

Reminds me of a saying - DC has all the efficiencies of the south and all the hospitality of the north. There may be some truth to that.
Fishette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #13  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishette View Post
I live just outside of DC, and the food here is not so great. I would stick to the program and if you want to celebrate afterward, go to New Orleans where they really know how to do food.

Plus, at all these functions, no one is looking at you or how much you are eating or not eating, and there will be many people not eating.

Reminds me of a saying - DC has all the efficiencies of the south and all the hospitality of the north. There may be some truth to that.
Being from that area as well, I really have to agree! And I'll definitely be using that quote! Sums it up perfectly!
bubbleblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 175/See Ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishette View Post

Baha, I love that sentence about New Orleans being that I'm from there. Everyone makes it seem so easy when talking about how they can stay OP when out to a restaurant. I do try and am successful most of the time, but a lot of the times, there is never a meal where I don't have to ask if they cook it in butter or olive oil (mostly butter) and please take the cheese sauce off (pains me to say it).

I get anxiety before I go to a restaurant on a date because I don't want to seem picky high maintenance and who wants to explain on a first date that they are on a diet? Because then I feel that makes me feel insecure about myself and I'm not. I'm at the point where I am loving myself more and not just because of the weight loss. This is my 2nd date, but 1st with this guy where we're going out to eat and I am more nervous about having to order food instead of the actual date.
IPbeginnerNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote