South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 325/317/150

Height: 5'9"

Default Burning Out Too Soon!

I'm only on day 3 of phase 1 and I'm already feeling burnt out. The BF is drinking coffee, eating cookies, baking cakes etc.. while I'm suffering through withdraw headaches.

I'm trying my best to keep focused and stay on track but it's hard without the at home support system I want.

Any words of advice are greatly appreciated!
AmberK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #2  
babybat

Height: 5'7

Aw I'm sorry. I know how you feel. My family still eats rather unhealthy.
I just try to ignore it and stay away from food unless I'm hungry.
I would suggest taking up a hobby or finding something to take your mind off of food for now. The cravings get better with time (at least for me they did) and you don't always have to cut out good foods. There are plenty of ways to making something unhealthy, healthy.

Good luck you can do it! It's not my place to say so, but perhaps you should talk to your boyfriend and tell him he's making it hard for you to diet. I'm sure he'll understand.
Babybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #3  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

It is so hard when you're living with someone who is eating stuff that just isn't helping you to stay on track and lose weight. My Dh doesn't have a weight issue and as I type he is chomping on a bowl of chips. This afternoon he brought home some mini pecan pies from the 1/2 price bin at the store. I said simply, "I need for those to stay in your office". They have disappeared.

I recognized at some point that if I wanted to lose weight and keep it off that I would have to come to grips with the fact that I live with a muncher and that I couldn't change him. I could only change me.

The first two weeks are very difficult because you're having detox symptoms yet it is the time it's so important to stay on track.

Would it be possible that he'd understand if you did something in another room or went to bed early? Would he possibly agree to chill out with some foods just for these two weeks understanding how hard it is for you right now?

I used to spend a lot of time at he games section of 3fc. I kept my hands busy. I got some knitting projects out.

The cravings really do away and it does get easier. My good news is that my hubby eats more like me every day.

Best wishes! I hope you hang in there.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #4  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I used to have the same problem with DW. I felt very unsupported for a long time. I harbored animosity towards her (well, really, her metabolism) for a long time. I finally spoke with her about it and we worked it out that for the first month on SBD, she wouldn't eat 2 Cadbury Creme Eggs in front of me or sit down with ice cream, etc.

It really helped to talk with her and let her know how I was feeling.

And...her metabolism has since caught up with her and now we BOTH follow the program together.

PS-you can drink coffee!

Last edited by jenne1017; 01-03-2013 at 09:36 PM.
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #5  

Thanks ladies! Whenever I bring up the temptation I'm feeling he tells me to just eat what he's eating. He says he's not going to change his way of eating and threw a fit when I mentioned ridding the house of processed foods.

I'm going to hang in there; I have to - I'm so sick of living like this. I have been spending most of my time in my office these past few days. I'm hoping that the headaches will end soon. I'm not craving like I thought I would be; so that's a definite positive!
Old 01-03-2013, 11:18 PM   #6  
Committed

S/C/G: 166 / 160 / 145

Height: 65"

It's really hard when the BF is being inconsiderate and unsupportive! Talking to him might not do much more than aggravate the situation and create more tension. I try to find the bright side of things and think of karma: you are eating healthier and your entire body&soul will benefit; others who don't eat so healthy have issues that might not be weight-related(dental, breath, intenstinal, acne, etc) that make me grateful for karma!
lmmuzquiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:35 PM   #7  

Height: 5'4"

These are the hardest days, Amber, but keep working on your resistance muscle and it will become stronger, and resisting the temptation will get easier. It's unfortunate your S.O. is not more supportive, but you can get through this.

I'm also on day three, and had major cravings today (not helped by browsing pinterest). I'm of the belief that if your cravings hit, have a snack, but it must be on plan -- don't reward your cravings with sugar for sugar -- you need to break that cycle!
shelflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:08 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

I think what helped me (with a DH with a high metabolism and two kids) is how quickly you drop (water) weight the first week. Makes me get all excited and feel like it was worth suffering everything. Then BOOM, the cravings are gone, but you really, really need to stick with it.

And check in here daily...it's the absolute biggest reason for success in my book.
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #9  

Day 4 and I'm still 100% on plan! I've lost 8 pounds of water weight so far and that's helping to keep me motivated. Pinterest is beyond tough! I'm a blogger and often use it for inspiration; I'm trying to move towards posting healthy meal options recently though so that should help too.

Can I just say again, I'm so happy I found this board!!
Old 01-04-2013, 08:15 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

WOO HOO!!! 8 lbs?!?! That's awesome!! Heck, if that's not motivation, I don't know what is!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 162/145/145

Height: 5' 9 3/4

Amber that is awesome!!! Congratulations!! I agree with Tammy. You are not even done with the first week yet WOW!!! The support here is great too. I live alone for the most part (my teenage son is supportive of iTunes not health and fitness lol) but here everyone is working towards getting healthier. BF will come around too in time. He is probably comfortable with how things were. Be patient he will come around
jekel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #12  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

GREAT job Amber!!!

I am a blogger too. I've got the blog here through 3FC and a personal blog. I also have one on Sparkpeople and try to update all three Even on FB lately, when I post pics of food, people want the recipe so it's turned into something a lot more and of course, this board is SUPER helpful!
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:53 PM   #13  
babybat

Height: 5'7

8lbs WOW congrats! thats amazing.

Last edited by Babybat; 01-05-2013 at 12:40 AM.
Babybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #14  
Xan
serial rejoiner

S/C/G: 296/264/160

Height: 5' 8"

Congrats on the 8 lbs!

In addition to all the good advice above, I'd add that I found keeping an eye on the amount of potassium I was consuming helped a lot. I've read articles that say, because of the drop in water weight, lack of potassium is one of the things that causes the tiredness, headaches, and other symptoms.

What's high in potassium? Chard, kale, spinach, brussel sprouts, broccoli, beans (especially white beans) -- lots of good things. Meats and dairy have some too, but not as much as vegetables. Everyone is different, of course, but I've found when I sink below 2000 mgs of potassium in a day, I get shaky.

(I'm not a health professional and this is not medical advice, of course, but as long as you wash them thoroughly before ingesting, I can't believe eating vegetables will hurt you )
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 396/351/160

Height: 5'7"

I had a husband who also refused to help me change my eating habits in any way. One thing we did that eventually worked after several conversations regarding having all the junk food in the house was to create a space for "his" food. I allocated one of the kitchen cabinets that had two doors (space I could not afford to give up, but did!), stored all of his food in there, and literally put a lock on it to which only he had the key. Then I bought him a mini-frig to put in his closet for his sodas, ice cream, etc. The rule was that all his junk had to be kept locked up or in the frig when he wasn't eating it. If it was left out, I was going to throw it away.

Initially, we had some rousing disagreements because he would leave out half eaten bags of chips, cookies, candy, and I did toss them. Took them and put them in the garbage can when I caught him going through the trash once! He finally realized that I was serious, and that I considered this approach a compromise. He eventually got on the bandwagon, and because he had to unlock the cabinet, his evening eating habits eventually changed. Once he started losing some pounds as well, he began sharing my fruit or veggies as an evening snack. He never did take to hummus, but it was a big improvement.

Long story, but two things I learned. First, losing a lot of weight means that you are really focusing on taking care of yourself. That is threatening to people around you especially if you're the person who takes care of everyone else. Don't let them wear you down. Second, people who truly love you will eventually come around. In hind sight, I imagine some of his resistance was the fact that I'd started umpteen diets before and he was tired of going through the same routine.
betsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote