Old 12-31-2012, 10:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 254/229.5/190

Height: 5"8

Default Carb RAGE

Ok so here was ny evening events! My wonderful husband made dinner for me when i got home from work....(sometime however he does not think) and made what we always eat every new years- lobster and pasta. Well i could clearly see he had been working at thos for hours so i could not break his heart and had a very small amount of pasta- maybe half a cup and used the excuse my tummy was off today. Within minutes of eating i felt full of rage and anger and could not explain how i felt!! It was not the emotional feelings i have if i mess up on my diet. Im a social worker i know my feelings very well the best way i can describe it would be "roid rage" when men take hormones for body building but im calling it carb rage! Has anyone slipped up and felt this? Or have i just lost my mind ? Lol
Billster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:18 AM   #2  
IP Start date 12/18/12

S/C/G: 228.4/171/165

Height: 5 ft 10 inches

I've not slipped yet but I've heard of this happening. Carbs can induce all kinds of reactions in us when we're not used to it. My friend described her son, after having been off for a while, has becoming in front of her eyes like a lunatic. Amazing, isn't it? Hope you're feeling better.
BeccaGrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #3  
Started IP 12/6/12

S/C/G: 174/137/134

Height: 5'8"

I guess I have a different take on this. Are you sure it was wholly the result of the carbs themselves? I know I would be all kinds of upset if my DH made me a special pasta dish for dinner. I've only been on IP for 3 weeks and he knows better, and if he made me a pasta dish I'd feel like it was a bit of sabotage. I also know he also wouldn't be surprised to see me skip the pasta and rinse the sauce off the lobster on my plate!

I do know that carbs make me wiry if I have them after a long period of abstinence, but I'm not sure a half a cup of pasta would cause the type of reaction you're describing (in me, at least).

I'm curious why you felt you had to lie about your tummy being 'off'. Why not be honest and gently remind him that most carbs are off limits for you right now, as much as you know you would have loved the meal?
bubbleblower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #4  
Start: Dec. 18, 2017

S/C/G: 211/210/150

Height: 5'5"

When I started IP first in September I was successful with getting into ketosis ... then had an issue with my gut and stopped the diet, and I didn't phase off but just started to eat carbs as in a normal diet; well, my reaction to them was anxiety. Not rage, but anxiety. I don't know if the feeling went away after the first day or so, or if I simply got used to it being there in the background, but I wasn't feeling it or at least wasn't conscious of it much after the first day or two.

However, simple psychological explanation could be used for what we felt too. Maybe it was a combination of psychology and physical reactions. You know how they say we interpret our bodily reactions, like increased heart rate may be interpreted as fear or excitement... maybe it was the general "arousal" (in central nervous system sense) you felt due to sugar, but subconsciously you were displeased with your hubby for not thinking and putting you in this position, and then together those feelings were interpreted as rage.

Also, I don't know anything about "carb rage", so in itself it can be a possibility too.
learning to fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #5  

I'm with bubbleblower on this one
There is a reason we phase off the way we do. Until then, no cheats, no excuses, not even when someone is sabatoging (but "well-meaning" )
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #6  
Kara - Restart 8/23/2013

S/C/G: 277.4/214/160

Height: 5' 3"

awww, I feel bad if it was a total slip with him. I know my hubby may not think of it if he wasn't doing the diet with me (he is very forgetful)

I know a couple people who ate carbs, a subway sub straight off of phase 1 (their doctor recommended it for medical reasons I won't get into) and they didn't experience it but they were both men, so who knows?
Calisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisto View Post
awww, I feel bad if it was a total slip with him. I know my hubby may not think of it if he wasn't doing the diet with me (he is very forgetful)

I know a couple people who ate carbs, a subway sub straight off of phase 1 (their doctor recommended it for medical reasons I won't get into) and they didn't experience it but they were both men, so who knows?
I'm with you Calisto My hubby is taking such good care of me while I recover and making sure that I get what i need OP. Last night he went and made a bunch of food that we normally eat on NYE but I don't eat anymore. He also grilled fish which was delicious. I made a big deal about him making such a nice dinner and he and my son dug in then it dawned on him why I wasn't eating. Ive never had roid rage or carb rage so I cant tell you about that but I'm also a SW & we know sometimes ppl mess up! My hubby had the best of intentions and found himself caught between tradition and IP! LOL
SO just continue on today. One night and a half cup pasta isn't going to put on all of the weight that you lost. Brush it off, celebrate the New year and be thankful for a wonderful hubbY!
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote