Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 03:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Angry new favourite veggie

Spaghetti squash - I heard so much about this but had never tried it until last night. It was so good - I even brought the leftovers for my afternoon snack today.
Old 09-23-2003, 04:49 PM   #2  

I love spaghetti!...So please give us the recipe! Sounds yummy!
Old 09-24-2003, 09:12 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

I cut the squash lengthwise, covered it with saran wrap & nuked until tender. Then take a fork a run it along the squash - comes out like spaghetti strands. I used this instead of noodles & added my regular spaghetti sauce & it was good. I brought the rest of it for snack for next day - just plain. It doesn't need anything on it at all & is 0 Pts per cup.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:19 PM   #4  
Om shanti

I have a few Spaghetti Squash recipes we make quite often. One involves mixing the cooked squash with cinnamon, artificial sweetener and Molly McButter. The other is a Mushroom Ragout that we pour on top of the cooked squash.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:54 PM   #5  
it's always something

I love spaghetti squash! Thanks for the tip, Bicker, I have never thought about trying it sweet! But it does have a delicious, almost buttery flavor that would work well that way. I'll try it tomorrow!
Old 10-25-2003, 11:15 PM   #6  

Default stupid about squash

Hi- this may be a stupid question, but I'm looking
for new veggies- Is the squash actually a type
called spaghetti squash- or is it regular acorn or
zuchinni nuked and noodled with fork as described.
Where can you get it?
Old 10-26-2003, 06:09 AM   #7  
Om shanti

Spaghetti Squash is indeed a specific type of squash. I believe it is the least caloric of the winter squash varieties. It's big and yellow and shaped something like a rugby ball.
Old 10-28-2003, 02:01 PM   #8  
it's always something

Here is an image of a spaghetti squash. When you cut it open, there will be a seedy center which should be scooped out. The remaining flesh will appear solid, but when it is cooked you can use a fork and it comes out in shreds.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:57 AM   #9  

This actually looks great! I think I will go get one this weekend! I need to avoid the candy tonight. LOL. I will have one or two pieces, to avoid the temptations after the kids stop coming, and then I will set the bowl outside for someone to grab!!! Get it out of my house!!! LOL. Really though, I don't think a few pieces will hurt, after all it IS halloween. I need some healthy dinners this weekend, so I will try to make this! Thanks so much.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:25 AM   #10  
consistent

S/C/G: 227.8/216.2/210 challenge goal

Height: 5'7"

Suzanne, thanks for the images and the specific instructions! I love trying new foods, and this took the mystery out of the process.

choosewell.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:33 PM   #11  
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Height: 5'2"

I know it depends on how large the spaghetti squash is, but about how long in the microwave does it take to cook?

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2004, 08:24 PM   #12  
The Salad Guru

Smile spaghetti squash eater

i just tried that this week, and i loved it. i'm glad to hear that it's the lowest calorie squash, i didn't know that. i ate it with my regular spaghetti sauce and chicken hot italian sausage, it was really good, and very filling. i cut it in half and then in a half again length wise and cooked it for about 15 minutes in the microwave. but i have to say it made me wicked gassy, mabey that beano stuff would help
Old 01-18-2004, 12:01 PM   #13  

Angry

I agree totally!!! I haven't had if for a long time but spagetti squash is a wonderful substitute for pasta.....on my way to the grocery store to get some now!
Old 01-19-2004, 11:14 PM   #14  

I eat this all the time. LOVE IT. When I want pasta, I eat pasta, but usually it is spaghetti squash for me.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:20 AM   #15  
The Salad Guru

Default calories

someone had mentioned that speghetti squash is the lowest calorie squash. does anyone know exactly how many calories it has compared to pasta?
per cup or whatever.
i've eaten it 4 times in the last week- i serve myself a heafty portion: about 1/4 of a large (say 5.5lb) squash with a large portion of speghetti sauce, some ground turkey or turkey sausage link, and a scoop of part skim ricotta cheese. it's really filling, but is this too much?
my biggest problem is portion size.
Closed Thread