Old 12-25-2012, 08:33 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 169/130/110

Height: 5' 0"

Default The difference for me.....

ok I have been on IP since the last week of April 2012. I journal my food everyday, have an excellent coach and support. I read on here how people have lost 50 lbs in 4 months. I am at 40 lbs in 8 months. For the past few months i have been on such a flat level of losing half a pound or a pound a week. Some weeks a slight gain. I have gone back to the food journal I kept when I first started and I have not changed my eating habits. I never cheated until Thanksgiving (and only for the big meal) and I did lose a pound Thanksgiving week! A co-worker suggested I needed to take a week off the program but still be mindful of what I was eating. Well I took her advice and took about the last 5 days off. I have eaten pizza, a chinese buffet, Burger King (just a jr whopper and small fries). I obviously only took half the coworkers advice and didn't continue to eat healthy---I will be back OP first thing in the morning. I have been watching the scale and I haven't gone up YET-I know it will hit. I do wi tomorrow. I realize that everyone loses at a different rate and the make up of our bodies and genetics etc etc play a huge part in this but I have grown beyond frustrated at this point. My coach is always positive and always has suggestions on things to try but I am really really at the end of my rope here. Any suggestions from anyone that has been there done that? I realize that the last 10 pds are the hardest but this plateau has gone on long enuff!!!
pekelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #2  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

Eating pizza and jr whoppers probably is not the best approach. Someone recently posted that her coach had her do phase 2 & 3, then back to phase 1. I wish i could remember who and which thread. She said it was the only way she could get to goal because she had hit a plateau before.

A couple other things you can try are increasing your protein a little for a week or so and see how that effects you. If it doesn't work, maybe try picking really low carb allowed veggies. Some are higher than others. My losses slowed to 1-2 lbs a week for about 8 weeks. What worked for me was the lower carb veggies and having only 6oz of red meat. I've lost exactly 9lbs in the last 3 weeks because of the changes.

Don't give up! You can get to goal.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #3  

Height: 5'4"

At 130 pounds, the low side guess of calories required for a sedentary person is 1300 a day. The likely lowest calorie intake on IP is 800 calories a day. That gives a 500 calorie a day deficit. So, 7 days times 500 calories a day is 3500 calories, which would give 1 lb of weight loss per week. So, figuring that some 100% IP days are 1100 calories, your weight loss at 1/2 lb to a pound a week is perfectly reasonable. Even at 170 lbs, the expectation would be 1.8 lbs per week.

So, your choices might be to resolve yourself to the fact that it will take another 6 months to hit goal, select how many more months you are willing to diet (and stop there) or phase off now and keep your maintenance calories via your food choices to be at a calorie level that supports your goal weight and not your current weight.

Let's fast forward to your goal weight of 110 (very reasonable for your height). Your sedentary maintenance calories are going to be 1100, up to 1650 if you exercise. If you phase off and keep your Phase 4 days looking like Phase 1 with minor additions, you would eventually get to your goal weight. You could also add exercise for an additional calorie burn. Might take longer than 6 months, but you would have more flexibility. Not sure if it is deprivation, expense or just the length of time of strict dieting that is frustrating you. Do not think you have failed because it took twice the time you had imagined to lose the weight.

You can choose to phase off, then come back when you are back to being mentally ready. Just your statement of going back to Phase 1 says a lot about what you really want. How did you feel during your "break"? Did the pizza, chinese food and BK make you feel like you wished you had your IP meal or were you relieved to get to eat like everyone else? In order to maintain, we really don't get to eat like everyone else. Another consideration for where you want your final goal weight.
infoplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #4  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

I can appreciate your frustration because I went off plan and just back to regular eating for awhile thinking it wouldn't matter that much. I missed the "phasing" stage of getting my body used to carbs again, which is I think one of the big differences of this diet. Most diets go right to maintenance but this one lets your body adjust to carbs again -- if you do it right. I didn't and am sorry now. 40 pounds came off in a couple of months, but 20 pounds went right back on in a couple of months too. You need to be working on the idea that you're changing your way of eating -- for life. If you go back to BK and chinese food, you'll go back to how you looked before. What's the old saying? "If you do what you always did, you'll get what you always got" or something like that.

Trust me. Stick to your plan. And if you've had "enough", take time to phase off properly so that once you start having reasonable amounts of carbs,your body can handle them.
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:10 PM   #5  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

It's really hard to assess what might be going on without knowing specifics about your intake, there are so many factors that can thwart our weight loss! Just to name a few,

- stress
- TOM
- not getting your oil in every day
- avoiding restricted items (unless you are super carb sensitive)
- metabolic syndrome, hypothyroidism, or a host of other hormonal imbalances

Plateaus (zero or nearly zero losses) are common in ALL diets, and can last several weeks. Sometimes the body just has a harder time letting go of the weight. And like infoplease pointed out, the closer you are to your goal weight, the difference between calories your body needs to work and calories you eat on IP gets smaller - and so do your losses. You could be eating EXACTLY the same menus as the beginning, but it will have a totally different effect on you closer to goal.

Some have found that eating a higher calorie or fattier meal once a week (like beef) helps - low fat doesn't mean no fat and too much super lean meat can stall weight loss. Others have found that switching up your meal routine (having protein at lunch or breakfast, changing the timing of your snacks, or when you have your restricted) can kick your body out of a rut. And yes, sometimes phasing off to P3 and then going back to P1 can break a plateau. But I'd say that hitting up Burger King, pizza and the chinese buffet is a bit outside your coach's suggestion, none of those are what I'd call "mindful" eating. You may see a gain from that. I would encourage you to try some of the tricks others have used while staying on P1, or if you DO try more normal eating for a while PLEASE phase off correctly.

Good luck!
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:49 PM   #6  

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Lots of specifics provided that I had not thought about. I truly am back op tomorrow. I had started moving to ph 2 even tho I am not really where I want to be. I will see how that works for the rest of the week. I am really dreading weigh in tomorrow. Was cheating worth it? not really but sometimes when i journal my eating for the day i also will journal what I passed up-gives me a sense of self control. The only down side is when I have a low weight week I wonder if it was worth it to pass up a piece of bday cake or whatever. I do know it is worth it. I don't mean to sound negative, I am super excited that I have lost 40 lbs so far and I have really appreciated the positive comments I get from people I have not seen in a while. I know this is a lifestyle change and I won't go back to eating BK and chinese on a regular basis. I just had hit that brick wall and was ready for a little cheat phase. So onward and upward (i mean downward lol) I love this site it is awesome! You all have so much knowledge and are so willing to share it. Luv this community!!!
Old 12-26-2012, 12:26 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Hi, Just doing this "diet" will help you with weight loss. It is so frustrating when you're working so hard and not seeing results. I like that you took a break and enjoyed some of your favorites. You'll lose what you want to lose! Keep going chickie!
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:03 AM   #8  
Started June 29, 2014

S/C/G: 184.5/167/125

Height: 5'6"

Keep at it! Your so close to your goal. I think it would be tough to get back on plan after eating all those different foods. Maybe that was the change your body needed to get it jump started back into weight loss again.
MrPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #9  

New Englander & Mr.Phillips
Thanks for your comments. I did go wi today and I was up 3#
My coach said she is doing ph1 all through January and will be blogging on facebook everyday. I think I will do the same. I looked and I hit 139 in August and I was at 130.5 when I wi on December 3rd. Hence the platuea--I am back at it today and I feel really strong. Many temptations came my way today and I wasn't even in the least bit interested. Broccoli and cucumbers for lunch and chix and salad and veggies for supper tonite. Back at it full strength today
Old 12-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #10  
Reboot 9/2014

Sounds like you got your mojo back Keep it up!!!
Old 12-26-2012, 10:17 PM   #11  

lol I definitely have my mojo back! My wi today showed I was up 3 pounds but while it was kind of worth it-it really wasn't worth it. But in all reality I won't know until I have my next 2 weigh ins. We will see if this kicks my body into pushing past the plateau
Old 12-26-2012, 10:41 PM   #12  
Start: Dec. 18, 2017

S/C/G: 211/210/150

Check out answers 31 and 35 in FAQ (http://www.benchmarkmedicalgroup.com...ght-loss-faq):

Links directly to them:
Q&A 31: http://www.benchmarkmedicalgroup.com...ht-loss-faq#31

Q&A 35: http://www.benchmarkmedicalgroup.com...ht-loss-faq#35

Basically, according to those answers, you may be gaining muscle mass (which masks the fat loss because muscles weigh more), holding up a lot of weight in your colon, or unintentionally cheating.

I am confused about calories...when we are losing weight faster that means we are consuming more calories (out own body fat supplies calories); but then when the weight loss slows down, we are actually using up less calories, which should stand to reason that we should be losing more, but we aren't, and that's is what I don't get....
learning to fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:47 PM   #13  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by learning to fly View Post
I am confused about calories...when we are losing weight faster that means we are consuming more calories (out own body fat supplies calories); but then when the weight loss slows down, we are actually using up less calories, which should stand to reason that we should be losing more, but we aren't, and that's is what I don't get....
The basic idea is this:

The bigger your body, the more calories it takes to make it work. Just for an example (these are by no means real numbers), let's say that a 250 pound person requires 1900 calories a day to function, not including any exercise. If that person is eating 900 calories a day in food, they are burning up 1000 calories a day in ketosis to make up the difference.

When that person loses a bunch of weight and now weighs 180 pounds, their body may only need 1300 calories per day to function. If that same person is still eating 900 calories a day in food, there is only 400 calories of difference that will be burned up in ketosis, which means slower fat loss.

Does that help a little? It's a VERY simplified explanation, there are lots of other factors that can change the resting metabolic rate for a person, but it hopefully helps you understand why weight loss changes when you get closer to goal.

Last edited by scorbett1103; 12-26-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #14  
Start: Dec. 18, 2017

S/C/G: 211/210/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
The basic idea is this:

The bigger your body, the more calories it takes to make it work. Just for an example (these are by no means real numbers), let's say that a 250 pound person requires 1900 calories a day to function, not including any exercise. If that person is eating 900 calories a day in food, they are burning up 1000 calories a day in ketosis to make up the difference.

When that person loses a bunch of weight and now weighs 180 pounds, their body may only need 1300 calories per day to function. If that same person is still eating 900 calories a day in food, there is only 400 calories of difference that will be burned up in ketosis, which means slower fat loss.

Does that help a little? It's a VERY simplified explanation, there are lots of other factors that can change the resting metabolic rate for a person, but it hopefully helps you understand why weight loss changes when you get closer to goal.
That's a very good and very clear explanation, scorbett! You really know this stuff, don't you. What's more, you really know how to explain it very well! It's great that you are on this board, thanks!!
learning to fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:37 PM   #15  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by learning to fly View Post
That's a very good and very clear explanation, scorbett! You really know this stuff, don't you. What's more, you really know how to explain it very well! It's great that you are on this board, thanks!!
Aw thanks! I am one of those freaks that has to read up on EVERYTHING that crosses my path Glad I could help!!