General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #1  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Height: 5'5"

Default J.J.Virgin Diet

Is anyone out there doing the virgin diet? Just wondering think I may give it a whirl after X mas.Seems like a good time. deals with a lot of eliminations in the diet...seems like a can do!
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #2  

Default I just read about it

Hello I just did some research on this I think I am going on the plan. Was just on web site interesting.
classykaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:39 AM   #3  
Training for life!

Iam the one that started the post though I have not started yet.....Too many out of town being someone's COMPAnY this week will start next week. Though as stated by another I am not for a change doing the pig out thing first.
That being said if anyone had read her it is not ALLERGIES it is an intolerance to foods. And her idea is to take the key culprits away ..see how it goes for at least 3weeks.And add them back to see if you have problems.
By now most off us know what we should be eating to lose weight and the amount of calories.. And how to exercise enough.....I feel this book is for those
of us that DO all those things and have trouble losing weight.
I am one of those,I am quite interested in trying this truly it is not much different than how I eat normally but NIX all glue ten,and artificial sweeteners.
And as stated earlier "you get what you put in" or as Virgin would say leave out.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Let us know how it goes. I haven't really seen any science to back up the intolerances that seem to be key to many of the newer diets, it seems to be pseudoscience but that doesn't mean you won't lose weight. A lot of high calorie foods contain gluten, dairy, sugar and what not so it helps you cut calories in that way.

If you are a calorie counter, I'd say keep counting calories to compare how many calories you are eating now vs after. And overall, if you feel better and it helps you lose weight then that is a good thing.

I also advise those that follow her blog, read her book, etc, to not use her as a primary resource. Check your facts because based on her blog, I see quite a bit of false information.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Bought the book today. Not sure what I will do with the info since I'm not looking for a new diet. Just like learning new things.
pattygirl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #6  
it's always something

I haven't read the book, but I think it sounds pretty gimmicky. I'm all for eating clean, especially eating organic foods and cutting out junk food. I'm not sure the elimination diet has as much of an effect on weight loss as the fact that those who follow this are being presented with a gimmick that causes them to pay more attention to what they eat, and end up eating less. That's how most gimmicky diets work, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm bothered by the amount of expensive supplements that are sold on her website. If you buy the protein powder and basic vitamin supplements suggested, you'll pay $170 a month for something you can pay much, much less elsewhere. Then you still have to buy all of your food. Honestly, if you eat a balanced diet with plenty of fruits, vegetables, and lean proteins, then you don't need anything else.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #7  
Just Me

This thread has been majorly pruned because apparently JJ Virgin was prompting people (who aren't 3FC members) to sign up and post in this thread. Perhaps JJ and her followers don't understand the purpose of 3FC. We aren't a diet review site, we aren't a site for post and run. The purpose of the 3FC community is to support people within this community.

We also do welcome new members but what we don't want this thread to devolve into is what apparently occurred where people signed up just to post in this thread. If you are a new member and want to join the community, please let us know but if you have no plans to join the community, feel free to continue to use whatever support resources you are using currently.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #8  

I stated earlier that I bought the book. I haven't read much yet, but the basic thing I got out of it that I like is the idea of eliminating certain groups of foods for 21 days and then begin adding them back into your way of eating 1 at a time to see if you have any intolerance reactions. If not keep that food in your food plan and then add one of the others etc until you find out which of the food/s your body doesn't tolerate. Ex, I have already given up one of the foods such as peanuts months ago because I always had a sinus allergy reaction when I ate them. I don't think there's anything wrong with following the plan to learn such things as it just might be helpful to some people. It just has to do with whether you want to do it or even need to. My Daddy has a lot of allergies and because of things his doc told him he says he knows he probably is allergic to dairy products, but he isn't willing to give it up. So the book would do him no good. Also I'm not sure everyone would have to follow the diet book to learn such things. As I said I learned about the peanuts on my own.

I believe I will do the 21 day elimination and start adding back certain foods because I already suspect my body doesn't tolerate one or 2 of the other food groups she mentions. I saw where someone is starting this on Dec 26th so I'll do it with you. I actually believe it will be very helpful to me. JMHO

Nelie Thanks for pruning the thread. I've been a member of 3fc for a many years. I only trust the things I read by those I have learned are regulars on here for many years as well. I am so grateful for 3fc and all I learn here... whether I agree with all or not. I enjoy the support we are able to get and give on this website.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Let us know how it goes. I haven't really seen any science to back up the intolerances that seem to be key to many of the newer diets, it seems to be pseudoscience but that doesn't mean you won't lose weight. A lot of high calorie foods contain gluten, dairy, sugar and what not so it helps you cut calories in that way.

If you are a calorie counter, I'd say keep counting calories to compare how many calories you are eating now vs after. And overall, if you feel better and it helps you lose weight then that is a good thing.

I also advise those that follow her blog, read her book, etc, to not use her as a primary resource. Check your facts because based on her blog, I see quite a bit of false information.
I agree with you Nelie on everything you said. I know enough about diets that you can't take EVERY WORD WRITTEN IN A BOOK as "GOSPEL TRUTH". Most things are from a persons experience and/or based on their opinions. I've have finally learned over the years that most people who are successful at losing and keeping the weight off have taken a diet and then customized it to fit their woe to make it work for them. I hope to be one of those people myself.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #10  
Training for life!

I started this post and am a little P.O. That my simple question was turned into such a negative thread.As you can see I have been a member for several years and am disappointed that YOU have decided for everyone this doesn't work.And who says what and delete them .......HOW would anyone from VIrgins site even know I posted???? You sound paranoid!
Also you DO NOT have to drink the shakes or take the supplements.As stated you can do all that by eating right.
I don't think it's the weight loss miracle or anything close. I just felt for me things like gluten do cause me some issues...experimenting without it for 3 weeks is a good thing for me.

Last edited by devadiva; 12-23-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:21 AM   #11  

devadiva I'm reading the book and so much of it makes sense to me. I planned to start it Dec 26 but may have to weight until next week end to get into it full swing. I'm cutting out some things now kind of easing into it. I had a book on Candida years ago and from what I remember about that book it recommended some of the things she does. I looked for my Candids book tonight but guess I lost it. It had some wonderful recipes for fresh kraut I learned to make back when I had Candida that I absolutely loved that is supposed to help with digestive track and candida.

I already know by process of eliminatation on my own over the years which things my body doesn't tolerate wheat and some dairy. I worked with a friend once who owned a health food store and so much of what he told me she also tells in her book. So I'm going with it.

My DH has a lot of health problems that I think are caused by inflamation. I've already started some of her suggestions for both of us. I personally appreciate you starting this thread or I never would have bought the book. So thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Oh, good luck on your journey with it.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 12-24-2012 at 01:22 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:20 AM   #12  
Just Me

I wrote Devadiva separately but just wanted to say every diet 'works'. My personal, non-mod opinion is that many diets out there try to sound scientific but often they use flaky research or misinterpret it. The blood type diet is one of those diets based on faulty research but or some people, it works, not because of the so-called science but because of the calorie reduction.

That is why I think you should also look into yourself if you are interested in the science aspects. If you don't care about the science and want to lose weight, I'm sure cutting out gluten, sugar, peanuts, and dairy will result in weight loss for the majority of people. Also, it appears that you are possibly low carbing during the first phase of the diet? That can also result in a dramatic water and glycogen weight loss for most people.

I'm currently reading an exercise book which talks about how 30-40 years ago, you really had to work at it to be obese. Our change in obesity levels is fairly recent. The answer may lie in a few places including food. Everything from bread to meat has been made easier to chew making it easier to get more calories in. It seems our food supply is not working for us but rather against us. Then there is the fact that our activity levels have dropped dramatically in the last 30-40 years.

Anyway, as long as you are getting enough calories and nutrients, I'm not personally against any diet. It is hard to lose and maintain weight loss so I wish you guys luck.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:02 PM   #13  

I was going to start the diet itself next week end, but I don't believe that I will have to. I believe I can take some ideas from it and modify my low carb woe and make it better.

Nelie My doctor told me that it has proven scientifically that any diet wil work. He said the key is finding the one that you can live with. So you are correct about any diet will work. I think it is wonderful when a person can either find a diet that works for them or that they can modify to make it work for them. I read a book once that was a collection of successful dieters and how they had learned to lose weight and keep it off. They had to have maintained or kept their weight off for at least 3 yrs. Doing what my doctor said and modifying basic diets was how they had become successful.

I hope Devadiva doesn't get discouraged and stop doing what she has learned is working for her.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #14  
Training for life!

I was not discouraged BY what I decided to do,it was how this matter was handled by the site.
I believe ANYTHING works if you work it.......my whole point was..when I am fiollowing the program I do best with I already do ALL the things suggested except gluten free ( it was mostly )and eggless,So in reality it does work for me,I know my body.. I am 60, and had kept a 44lb weight loss for 2 1/2 years ,my recent gain was due to not following what I had been doing and eating bread .
Old 12-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #15  

Devadiva I don't plan to go with it 100% because I already know that eggs don't hurt me and I know that some dairy does and some don't. I've kind of learned a lot of this stuff on my own, but the book kind of confirms and explains why some foods cause me trouble that are supposed to be so healthy. When I was diagnosed diabetic T2, I tested after a lot of foods and my doc and I were amazed that (for example) that regular oatmeal caused my blood sugar to skyrocket. It is supposed to be great for you, but as my doc said "The numbers don't lie". Learned from my step-brother that it was best thing a diabetic could do especially in the beginning is to test and learn which foods you could and could not eat by testing after eating your foods rather than trust what a diet/diet book says you can and cannot eat.

I'm glad you didn't get discouraged. Personally I believe it is my right/duty in doing what works for me. MY HEALTH DEPENDS ON IT. I'm 69 and I have to look at things differently than I did when I was younger. JMHO