General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 301/287/240

Height: 5'7"

Default Too big for Harry Potter ride seats?

Hi everyone! I am new here but I just had a question. Has anyone gone on the Harry potter ride at Universal Orlando? I am planning a trip there in 2 weeks and just found out I might not fit on the ride. I know there are test seats out front but I will be with my boyfriend and really dont want to be humiliated in front of him. I am trying to figure out what dimensions you have to be to fit on the ride. All I can find is that you need to be 48 inches or less in the chest and I am but just barely. However, I also heard that broad shoulders are an issue and can't find info on width of shoulders required. Has anyone had issues with this ride? And if you did NOT have issues with the ride, what is your shoulder width? lol

I wish they would just post dimensions.

I am sad because I have been wanting to go to the wizarding world of harry potter for years.

Last edited by katrinakit; 12-10-2012 at 09:59 AM.
katrinakit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #2  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Here's an article with detailed measurements:

http://www.destinationthemepark.com/...-measurements/

However, since that article was written, they added bigger seats:
http://attractionsmagazine.com/blog/...larger-guests/
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #3  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Gah maybe I'm having a huge brain fart, but it seems like no one larger than a small child could fit on that ride. O.o I know my butt isn't that small!
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:23 AM   #4  

ooo! thank you!
Old 12-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #5  

yeah it seems like the big question mark is whether my butt is too big lol
All the other measurement work. It is hard to accurately determine the breadth of your own butt without assistance lol I will try the test seats
Old 12-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #6  

Apparently before they modified some of the seats they were turning away a large number of would be riders (much more than any other ride)
Old 12-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #7  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Are you talking about the roller coaster ride, "Dragon Challenge" or the "Forbidden Journey" ride?. I've never been on either, but many years ago I was on "Dueling Dragons", which I understand is now the "Dragon Challenge" ride.

In any event, I know that feeling. Its been a LONG time since I've been on one of those rides because of the issue with the restraints fitting me. As I said, I've never been on either of those Harry Potter rides, but many years ago when I was about the same size as I am now (about 320 pounds, and not sure what my chest size was, but I'm guessing it must have been 54 -- maybe 52), I went on Dueling Dragons and Hulk roller coasters and I just BARELY fit on them. And one or two of the ride operators had to come over and put all of their weight on top of the restraint to make it come down far enough to click in. (I think it has to click a few times before they'll let you stay on the ride). Talk about embarrassment!

I remember that they had a few select seats that were larger than the rest. If I recall correctly those seats had a double harness (two belts to cliek in) whereas the others were single harness. When I got through the line to where you get in place to board the ride, I had to stand in a particular spot where the larger seat was.

I know that you don't want to try out the test seat because you want to avoid a potentially embarrassing situation, but believe me -- if your size turns out to be an issue - I think you would be more embarrassed to have them try to squeeze you into one of those seats while people are on line seeing it. I think its much better to do the test fitting at the entrance of the ride when nobody is paying attention. What you could do is take a pic of your boyfriend in the seat, and then switch and ask him to take a pic of you. Then, while you're in the seat, you can nonchalantly pull down on the harness and see if it fits you.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #8  

Thats a good idea about pretending to take pics in the seat! The only problem is that they have this test light that comes on basically saying red=dont fit yellow=need modified seat and green=any seat. I am fine with a modified seat. It is not like my boyfriend doesn't know I'm big. But, in my imagination, the red light will be accompanied by a loud buzzer noise indicating my fatness. lol If I knew ahead of time that I definitely didn't meet the dimensions I was going to make an "I feel kind of ill and dont feel up to going on this ride" kind of an excuse. Since I'm in the possible category according to the dimensions I will try the test seats though. Maybe I will ask him to get me some coffee and sneak over and try it while he is gone
Old 12-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #9  

P.S. when I was trying to figure this out I came across a term "potterexia" to describe the phenomenon of people crash dieting so they will fit on this ride. It made me giggle.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #10  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Actually, one of the articles that sontaikle posted above talked about a guy who was one of many who was turned away from the ride. He actually used it as motivation to lose weight and apparently started a blog about it called "3 clicks." The article said that when he found out that they had changed the ride to offer some larger seats, that he was glad he lost the weight before they did that --- so that he would still have motivation to lose the weight.

Last edited by joefla70; 12-10-2012 at 10:55 AM.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #11  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

Height: 5'2"

I was going there in a couple weeks as well, and after reading the dimensions on Universal rides in general, I'm switching to DisneyWorld.
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #12  

Disney is fun too I had an annual pass a couple of years ago. They are much more accommodating of different sizes. You have to go on splash mountain and soaring
Old 12-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 166/145/115

Height: 5'4

Harry Potter is like an upgraded version of Soarin' (I actually don't enjoy Soarin' much). I've been to both Universal and Disney quite a few times, I actually work at Disney, and Harry Potter is my favorite ride hands down.. really hope you'll get to experience it!

The safest bet is to just try the test seat... it's much less embarrassing than waiting over an hour (yes, that ride always has a long line) to only be turned down. If you can't fit on that ride, there's plenty others, don't sweat it.
Bloopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:48 PM   #14  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

Strangely enough, that very thing is what got me started losing weight.

I ended up being 194 this summer when we went, and I have to say it wasn't loose. My husband is 6'7" 230 and he was able to get in though. I personally think it's tighter around the middle than your shoulders. It's an over the shoulders harness thingy. You can google pictures of it.

I probably would not have tried it at my highest weight, or at least would have tried the test seats out front first. I know it's easier to say than do, but don't be embarrassed about the test seats. There's lots of people there trying them out.

That line is LONG and when you get to the ride they board it really stinking fast...it doesn't stop moving, so you definitely want to be sure ahead of time.

The ride is freaking awesome though. The spider man ride (equally awesome) is the same way. Probably even uses the same seats.

Disneyworld is much more forgiving. I went there some years back at maybe 220 and fit into everything, although space mountain was snug.

Last edited by Vex; 12-10-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #15  
kellie105

S/C/G: 292.5/284.8/170

Height: 5'6

I went this past summer and I was a size 24/26 I did fit *barely* and rode the ride but not before being pulled out of the line and asked to sit in the test chair that is highly visible to others in line. I quietly told the man that I had tried the chair outside(theres one before you even go into the ride) of the ride and I fit. They also have certain seats for larger people so they push you through the line so you can be sure to have those seats. I carry all of my weight in the middle so the best and most comfortable ride for me was the spiderman and jurasic park rides.
kellie105 is offline   Reply With Quote