Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 12-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #1  
Chuggin' along...

Default 2013 Maintainers Hopes, Dreams, and Goals

2012 is dwindling away. In the midst of all of the holiday hoopla, let's not wait until January to think about our goals for the coming year. As we spend days with our family and friends, let's think of what's important to us.

I guess I'll start. I'm going to focus on health related goals for the purposes of this post, though I'm certainly not trying to limit this thread to that! I will admit I'm not the happiest personally and professionally right now, but am also not ready to make the changes needed to in those areas. I will focus on health, because I am always happier when I'm feeling good in my own skin.

2013:

- Work on improving my self-esteem and not letting it be tied to my weight. No matter what I weigh at the end of the new year, I hope I feel better about myself. I've been really down on myself lately. Not sure how to actually do this... but need to make a change. I think it will start with a few new clothes that fit and flatter, and renewing my yoga attendance that fell off a bit in the last few months.
Repeats from last year:
- Lose 10 lbs. I said it last year, too. I was organizing pictures last night and was not happy with what I saw. I need to log my food, STICK TO a calorie count, and stop giving into drinking so much alcohol at social events.
- Come up with a more balanced/routine exercise regime. I'm hoping breaking away from the gym will help here rather than hinder. If I work out from home, it's always there, always an option, rather than thinking "oh I can't work out" when the gym is closed, since that's more and more frequent.

ETA 1/2/13: In thinking further, I really want to commit to doing more yoga in 2013. To achieve this goal, not just the abstract idea of achieving it, I've decided to commit to practicing yoga at least 3x per month. I'm even going to make a chart to post on the fridge. This will mean mostly making it to my weekly class 3x per month, but also should I get involved in a play/have rehearsals I will need to make it up by (gasp!) taking the time to do it at home.

Last edited by Megan1982; 01-02-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

As many of you know, I did manage to lose about 12 pounds in 2012. I'm maintaining that loss now through the holidays. I'll go on to try and lose the last few (about 10) after my vacation in January. Until then, I strive to not gain.

I do have to relish the fact that even at the weight I am now, while not happy about it, it is 15 pounds less than that when I was married almost 25 years ago. So it's all good. I just remember what 140 looked and felt like and I'd like to look and feel that again!

There will be a lot of changes for me this year. We're moving our business. My DD will be going to grad school (one possibility is in Pennsylvania, and another in Texas). And lord knows just how close her current relationship is. While I don't see her getting married just yet, there is that possibility, but with him going into the army and her going to grad school, I just don't see it. Also my DS is graduating from high school and will be going off to college. (He's gotten one acceptance so far). We'll be true empty nesters. Well, except for the animals. DS says he wants to take the cats but there's no way! And I do hope DD takes her cats when she goes off. We're babysitting them now and four cats is just too much!

Okay, so my wishes:

--lose that last 10 pounds
--get used to being empty nesters
--get serious about exercising again
--enjoy our 25th anniversary year and the Mediterranean cruise we're taking to celebrate it
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I want 20 minutes a day to just sit and be still.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #4  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

In 2013 I want to continue to maintain and finally decide if I want to bulk or cut. Not quite sure what direction I want to go in! I'm eating 1800ish to cut right now, but it's more so that if I choose to indulge next week I have a cushion

I want to continue to challenge myself with my weight training. I've made some great strength gains over the year and joined a new gym with a lot of weights! I want to continue to push myself and eventually squat 2x my bodyweight. I'm up to 185lbs, so I'm on my way there!

The main thing I want in 2013 is to find my place professionally. I left my teaching position because I wasn't supposed to be there. I'm hoping that in 2013 I can find my place. I don't want to be miserable going to work every day.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:44 PM   #5  

Height: 5'6

2012 was a great year for me health and fitness-wise. I managed to not only get myself into stellar shape but gain strength too.

I'd say for 2013, I'd want to continue along the path I've been going with weight lifting and see where that takes me. I'm finally at a place where I'm truly happy with my outer appearance which is nice and I don't really care what the scale says. The main thing is that I'm feeling good in my own skin.

Hopefully, this next year will be great for all of us!
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I am currently thinking about my hopes and dreams for 2013 (assuming the Mayans were wrong ) but wanted to add some preliminary thoughts.

Some of the basics -

- Since I entered maintenance in July of this year, my goal will be to continue to maintain my weight - I had been actively trying to lose weight for 2.5 years, so this adjustment has been challenging.

- A pie in the sky wish for the year is to get a sponsor to pay for skin removal on my thighs. I know that I was beyond fortunate to get skin removed on my abdomen and around, but that makes the thighs even more noticable

- Like Megan, I want to work on not defining myself by a number on a scale.

- I hope to heal my IT Band issues and run a 1/2 marathon.

I wish everyone luck on their goals, and Megan I just wanted to say that I obviously know you only from this venue, but you seem like a wonderful person and I hope that you will get to that point of not judging but instead loving yourself ((HUGS))
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

My overarching goal for 2013 is to blast out of my comfort zone: take new professional risks, reach out to new people, and go full speed ahead on my personal projects, with the aim of integrating them into my professional life. I also need to gain better control of my irrational anxieties around my kids, which are a big drag for them.

In terms of nutrition and fitness, I hope to:
- continue to maintain my weight
- continue to work out 4-5 times per week
- fine-tune my eating plan so I'm following volumetric principles more often (not all the time).
- get a better handle on snacking and nibbling.

Freelance
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #8  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Still thinking about this, because I take it really seriously ...

To be revisited within the next few days.

Last edited by saef; 12-19-2012 at 02:50 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
Still thinking about this, because I take it really seriously ...

To be revisited within the next few days.
Ditto!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #10  
Workin' It

As I think I failed on most of my 2012 goals I also need to take 2013 seriously. And, I need to visit in on 2012 and see just how bad it was before setting these...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:39 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I have just reached 5 years of maintenance, at this time next year I want to be able to say I have reached 6 years of maintenace.
I hope to get a dog this year, quit talking about it and do it. I am not new at owning dogs but I am not good at the heartbreak that sometimes goes with it. That's true about life in general, isn't it ?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
I have just reached 5 years of maintenance, at this time next year I want to be able to say I have reached 6 years of maintenace.
I hope to get a dog this year, quit talking about it and do it. I am not new at owning dogs but I am not good at the heartbreak that sometimes goes with it. That's true about life in general, isn't it ?
I can't wait to hear all your doggie stories once you find your forever friend.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #13  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

2012 was a good year. I got a scale for Christmas 2011 and was almost 140 when I stepped on it. Now my upper limit excepting occasional blowouts is 125-126. I did lots of good things for my appearance and health in 2012 - recommitted to a more balanced diet (this was helped greatly by moving out of my parents' house and getting a job with regular hours), joined a gym and have gone most days since joining, started lifting, quit smoking cigarettes, and sleep 8 hours nearly every night.

The cusp of 2013 is here. I am pretty happy with my progress and would like to continue it for the rest of my life. I am hoping with continued strength gains in the gym, the appearance of my torso will continue to improve, resulting in smaller pants and more confidence in a swimsuit.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #14  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

2012 was a major leap forward in my attitude about my weight and appearance - I accepted the process and let it work. I don't flinch or hide from the mirrors, even without clothes on. Maybe part of it's being 45 and just plain tired of beating myself up for so long, but I feel very ready to move ahead from here without wasting time staring in the rear view mirror, literally!

2013 needs to be about fitness improvements. While I may now be firmly in the healthy weight range, my HDL cholesterol has slipped and I didn't do my touchy shoulder any favors by taking a job behind a computer screen for 8 hours a day (and then spending even more time on it at night). Here's my thoughts.

Hope: To learn to enjoy moving. I have been a dedicated sofa spud for a long time - I would really like to turn that around permanently, this coming year. I want to get uncomfortable with sitting in a chair.

Dream: To see just how fit I can really be - not like bodybuilding or anything, but to reach a point of physical "grace" where everything works like it should and there's no activities that are ... daunting or scary. Such as skiing, for instance. I feel too "brittle" to risk downhill skiing. Silly, but these are real limitations in my current body.

Goal: Since a goal is just a dream with a deadline, I need to clearly define what I want to do in order to figure out what kind of a fitness plan I need to have in order to get there, and how I'm going to measure my progress. I think a trainer will be involved, at least early on. Some of the bigger waypoints will be:
  • Comfortably touching my toes (palms flat on floor is a "hope")
  • Being able to run (jog) a 5K without walking
  • Swim 200 continuous yards of butterfly
  • Doing one unassisted pullup
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #15  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

I'm going to put my goals in vaguer terms in 2013, which is contrary to what all resolution advice says . The experts all emphasize setting very concrete goals and employing visualization techniques. And I am generally one to research & implement best practices in doing stuff. Not this time ...

Also I think it would be helpful if I bumped this thread periodically, to check in how I was doing. I completely forgot that I even formulated any goals by the time the 2012 resolution thread was revived a few weeks back. If I don't check in, I won't know if I am on track.

I feel like I have been working so hard on my body that I've been neglecting my mind. After so many years of living from the neck upward, and trying to ignore three-quarters of me & thinking that portion was simply a life support system that was keeping the the brain functioning, I've been overcompensating and trying out a life that I always wondered about, one in which there was more doing & less thinking. I bought into an unreflective jock stereotype. This is not true, but I've been living that life as though it were. When I used to be reading, I was exercising, or on the stupid Internet. When I used to be at the theater or in a museum, I was buying produce or cooking. Well, theoretically, anyway, I was unreflective. I still did all that stinkin' thinkin', but my mind turned on me because it didn't have enough to play with. I wasn't getting it enough toys. I was turned inward, instead of outward, following my natural curiosity about arcane stuff.

So I am thinking my goal for 2013 is to achieve a better balance, and maybe to reignite some of my creativity, which lately goes for Internet posts rather than real creative projects. (Oh, dear, it's back to The Artist's Way ... which everyone was reading 10 years ago ... do they still? I lost mine in the flood.)

I need to go downtown more. When I hover near home is when I'm focused too much on the gym, food acquisition & preparation. When I am out on the streets, I am looking into performances & exhibitions & bookstores & etc.

That is what I want more of in my life during 2013.

Question is, can I do this and maintain my current fitness levels? I worry that I can't. Something has to get reduced to make the time for what I want more of.

Last edited by saef; 01-01-2013 at 12:14 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote