Old 12-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 231/see ticker/140

Height: 5'8"

Default Dental Procedure

Okay, so I searched and couldn't find this issue anywhere, so I'm creating it's own thread to make it easier to find this info in the future. I will be asking my coach about this on Saturday, but I'm looking for other input as well.

I have to have a dental implant done on Thursday (a week from today). This means they will be pulling the bad tooth and then doing something with the bone. I have been told that for the next day and a half to two days I should only eat cold soft food... essentially the only thing IP friendly on the list was pudding. Even mashed potatoes didn't make it until 2 days after the procedure.

My concern is that I'm paying nearly $4,000 for this procedure, and I need it to work right the first time, IP or no IP. Should I just eat the pudding for that next day and a half, or will that not be sufficient calories? If not, should I phase off quickly and just live for a week and then go back on? What are your thoughts lovely people?
tobehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:40 PM   #2  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

If it were me, I'd just stick to the IP stuff I could eat. Maybe add some extra packets or something. Not sure what foods that are not on plan you could eat anyway. Cold soft foods seem like it's limited to ice cream, shakes, puddings etc. In that case, you could just stick with the IP shakes and puddings.

It's only 1.5 days that you have the restriction so I wouldnt be too concerned about the low calories.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #3  

You CAN do IP without the "meat" (5 packets instead of 3). It isn't normally recommended but in this case, I'd do it for however many days necessary...
You can puree veggies but I'm trying to think what would be good cold??

Okay...here are the ideas off the top of my head...

There are some cold veggie soups...cucumber!
Oh! Liz has a cucumber frozen puree. I think it is in the Fun With Veggie Puree thread
And Gazpacho is a cold veggie soup that could be pureed.
I think she did something cold & pureed with lettuce too. If you don't see them in her (rather lengthy) thread, shoot her a Private Message, I'm sure she'd be glad to help!

And don't forget...stay OFF THE SCALE. You'll have inflammation, which is bloating, which is water retention. It isn't fat gain but it'll be a temporary scale increase. Just stay off and you won't stress.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #4  

Does your doctor know that you are on IP? Also check with her/him. HE might want you to have a certain number of calories to heal as well
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #5  

Oh good point. No I didn't mention it, never occurred to me. Maybe I should call the dentist back...

Thanks on the cucumber puree idea. Not something I would normally eat, but who knows right?
Old 12-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 286/247/150

Height: 5-4

I would personally go off plan for while you heal... truth be told you won't want to eat much anyway.

Also it was mentioned in another thread that you shouldn't take magnesium or potassium supplements while you are taking antibiotics.
drixnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:01 AM   #7  

It's a good point. Part of me feels like I need a break mentally anyway, but the other part of me (and my boyfriend) think that I should power through. So I'm torn. I will need to start the antibiotics Monday, so I'll stop taking the supplements at that time.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobehealthy View Post
Okay, so I searched and couldn't find this issue anywhere, so I'm creating it's own thread to make it easier to find this info in the future. I will be asking my coach about this on Saturday, but I'm looking for other input as well.

I have to have a dental implant done on Thursday (a week from today). This means they will be pulling the bad tooth and then doing something with the bone. I have been told that for the next day and a half to two days I should only eat cold soft food... essentially the only thing IP friendly on the list was pudding. Even mashed potatoes didn't make it until 2 days after the procedure.

My concern is that I'm paying nearly $4,000 for this procedure, and I need it to work right the first time, IP or no IP. Should I just eat the pudding for that next day and a half, or will that not be sufficient calories? If not, should I phase off quickly and just live for a week and then go back on? What are your thoughts lovely people?
You could have the jello too!
sahmmommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:44 AM   #9  

That's true, but I've heard the jello doesn't count as a packet? Plus I hate it. (I actually hate jello in general.)
Old 12-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #10  
Started IP: Sept 19/12

I had posted a similar question back in October. I had to get two wisdom teeth removed and I knew I wouldn't be able to eat much the next few days.

What I did, once I could take in liquids, I made the puddings into a shake (my favorite way to eat them) and then I also had Jello. Hubby even made some sugar free jello so I had a bit of that. The next morning when I got up to shower, I had a very bad dizzy spell. I am thinking it was from not eating much the day before. I had some of a ready made drink and started to feel better. I was able to eat more the next day. Either way, make sure you eat more than 3 packets . . I would say 5. The dizzy spell that I had was not good at all!

Also I made some soup for once I could eat more but not really full solids.

Hope this helps! And Good Luck with your procedure
tunafish246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:31 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobehealthy View Post
It's a good point. Part of me feels like I need a break mentally anyway, but the other part of me (and my boyfriend) think that I should power through. So I'm torn. I will need to start the antibiotics Monday, so I'll stop taking the supplements at that time.
Why would you have to stop taking the supplements to take the antibiotics?
Old 12-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #12  

Thank you for sharing your experience! That was what I was hoping for!

As far as stopping taking supplements, there was a post a couple of days ago that they can mess with the effectiveness of antibiotics.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #13  

To me they are just vitamins, so I can't see them effecting them . . but perhaps talk to a doctor or a pharmacist about it just to be sure.

I did take antibiotics for mine and continued the diet along with the pills and I didn't have any issues.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:36 PM   #14  
Started IP 7/9/12

S/C/G: 224/135/133

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunafish246 View Post
To me they are just vitamins, so I can't see them effecting them . . but perhaps talk to a doctor or a pharmacist about it just to be sure.

I did take antibiotics for mine and continued the diet along with the pills and I didn't have any issues.
someone mentioned in another thread that the warning labels on the z-pac antibiotics tell you not to take magnesium supplements with the antibiotics.
ragdoll74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #15  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Magnesium and calcium both interfere with the absorption of antibiotics if taken too close together. Essentially, you won't have a bad reaction or anything but your body won't absorb the right dose of medication.

You should not take a calcium or magnesium supplement 2-4 hours before or after an antibiotic.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote