General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:42 AM   #1  

Default Are smoothies unhealthy?

I like to drink smoothies now and then, but is having them all the time bad for me?

I make them myself, they only have frozen raspberries (unsweetened), low-fat greek yogurt (22g of protein and only 80 calories), and skim milk (90 calories).

It's only 240 calories total, but everyone tells me that drinking smoothies go straight to your hips, and I'm a little unsure of that since my smoothies aren't exactly like the kind you get at Dairy Queen or elsewhere.

Opinions?
Ketchup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:30 AM   #2  

Hi Ketchup,

I think drinking your smoothies is not unhealthy becoz you are using natural ingredients. But, try to use grass fed whole milk instead of skim milk. I use Organic Valley brand whole milk. Let me tell u why I say that, grass fed whole milk contains high in CLA and Omega 3 which is both essential for fat burning. That’s why you should not neglect good fats. Next time when you go to the supermarket, look for grass fed whole milk and look at their content they would state that they have CLA. You can also research about CLA “conjugated linoleic acid” on the internet. I have a blog which talks about weight loss if you are interested you can drop by to have a look. blog: weight-lossgossips. Also count your calorie intakes, eg. If you are 160 pounds X 7 and divide it into 4 for your 3 meals. Do not take my word into account if you have any medical conditions as, this is just an advice based on my experience. Hope it helps and happy losing hehe..
Lisa Joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:37 AM   #3  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Smoothies can be healthy and smoothies can be unhealthy. It really depends on what you use. Getting a smoothie at McDonalds or Jugo Juice and it is going to be FULL of sugar. If you make it yourself (like you do), they are great ways to get protein and fruit in. I use almond milk, whatever fresh fruit I have on hand, and some ice cubes and I am set.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:38 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 210/185/137

Height: 5'8"

Smoothies *can* be unhealthy because it's easy for people to go overboard. If you're portioning everything out and know exactly what's in your smoothie I say go for it. You might want to try substituting skim milk for almond milk. It's half the calories (unsweetened) but tastes great in smoothies in my opinion. The almonds have a natural sweetness that brings out the flavours.

Oh and be careful with the fruit. I looove frozen fruit and but fruit still has a good bit of sugar in it. Too much of a good thing is no longer a good thing. You could also try adding in some blueberries with your raspberries to give you an extra boost of nutrients.

Last edited by gymrat05; 12-11-2012 at 01:39 AM.
gymrat05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:41 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 162/129/120

Height: 5'6''... and a half

I think smoothies are a great option, especially if you're making them yourself. I also wouldn't worry about using skim milk, that's what I would use if I wasn't lactose intolerant (I use almond milk, or sometimes no milk and just ice). You could also try a "green" smoothie to mix things up (you can google some recipes).

I'm not sure how they could go "straight to your hips" because you would probably normally eat those things anyways and they're all healthy.
EricAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:47 AM   #6  
babybat

Height: 5'7

Of course not! as long as you know what you're putting in and not adding a ton of extra calories (like some orange juices have lots of calories etc)
but for the most part they're great.

I have them very often (that and water)
Babybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:57 AM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Nothing goes "straight to your hips." That's an old-wive's tale.

However, "having them all the time," probably wouldn't be all that great for you, because it would crowd out other healthy foods.

No food is healthy in and by itself. Only diets can be healthy, so every food has to be taken into the context of the whole diet. Even diets can only be considered "healthy" in the context of a person's health and personal goals.

A big mac would be "healthier" than an orange for someone who is emaciated and starving to death. For an obese person, the orange would be healthier.

The big mac might even be "healthier" than the orange for a very obese person if that particular obese person had been eating nothing but oranges for the past 60 days.

Smoothies as you describe can be included frequently in a well-balanced diet. And if you're burning more calories than you're taking in, you don't have to worry about the smoothie adding fat to your body.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:19 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

That is a ridiculous comment. It all depends on what you put in your smoothie, yours sounds very healthy. I drink a smoothie every day and make mine with almond milk.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:15 AM   #9  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Sounds like you're doing a great job! Now and then is fine - and using unsweetened fruit (fresh or frozen) is great! The antioxidents are beneficial and adds fiber as well.
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Let's analyze your smoothie, raspberries, greek yogurt and skim milk. Each one of these is a healthful and benficial part of a diet. Beneficial if you eat them individually or equally beneficial combined in a smoothie.
My opinion, if you want a smoothie every day, do it.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:23 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 221/186/160

Height: 5'7''

if that's all you're putting in your smoothies than no, they're not unhealthy! the smoothies people are referring to are the ones full of sugar, concentrated fruit juice and full fat dairy or cream- smoothies can go right to your hips if you're drinking them after eating onion rings/burgers/fries/cheesecake every day
domesticbliss is offline   Reply With Quote