Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 10:48 AM   #1  
Uber-Moderator!!

Thumbs down LWL #121 - Week of 21 Sept 2003

Hey you guys! I figured I'd start this week's thread a bit earlier than usual, when I'm not so busy...

It's been KILLER HOT here this weekend - yesterday it was 91 degrees at 4 pm...our Bay Area version of Indian Summer...of course you KNOW where I was most of yesterday!

Sugar free popsicles...LOVE 'em...they are definitely one of our staples at 15 calories each. The 45-calorie fudgesicles (not really 'sugar free' since they have milk sugar in them of course) are really good too. Jim's hooked on 'em - gotta have his 'fudgies' around the house, especially in this hot weather! Another one of our staples these days is the Lipton Diet Decaffinated Iced Tea mix - the powder that comes in a jar - along with a 20-pound bag of cracked ice (yup I do have ice cube molds, but I like the store-bought stuff better...)

Favorite exercises: What do you guys think about starting a sticky thread for 'favorite exercises'? JC can include Beth Horn raises and her Famous Wall Sits (which I haven't done yet - my gym's walls are all mirrors or windows, and I don't want to leave a gigantic butt-print for the custodial staff to clean up...as for home, we have so much crap and big windows that for me, it would have to be a 'door-sit' - but I'll get to it one of these days! Seems like it would be a good exercise to help my riding as well...I generally ride Hunt Seat and we do a lot of two-point riding (butt out of the saddle in preparation for jumping) which can get VERY tiring after awhile...

JC - that Jackass movie...there were some funny bits in it, but I agree with you...ick for the most part. I've watched several movies this week on HBO - a couple I had seen before but it had been awhile - Cheech and Chong's "Up In Smoke" from 1978 - I wasn't allowed to go see it when it came out; "Encino Man" from 1993 - Pauly Shore's tour de force and of course can't forget Brendan Fraser who is pret-ty hot stuff... and last night, I saw for the first time EVER, "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" which I am sure that everyone else here has already seen by now! VERY good!

on Net Carbs: Personally, I think that's all a bunch of bunk myself, as does the FDA BTW...they ruled awhile back that sugar alcohol IS a carb, after all it has calories...here's a snippet from an article at T-Mag that pretty well sums it up IMO...
Quote:
T: What specifically is the current problem with the bar market?

PI: First of all, Atkins and Balance came out with this position that low-carb bars are possible. They play fakery with the glycerin — they say it's not a carbohydrate when in reality it is, and everybody latched on to that. Glycerin is sweet and it contains calories, so why aren't they considering it a carbohydrate? According to the FDA, it is a carbohydrate. So what if it's metabolized slightly differently? Eat enough of it and you'll get fat.

Anyhow, everyone, including the big guys, are watching Balance and until Balance drops the "low-carb" claims from their labels, it doesn't seem like anybody else is going to be in compliance with the FDA regulations. It's mind-boggling to have what is about a 3 or 4 billion-dollar a year industry lying en masse about carbohydrates.

Listen, there's no such thing as a bar that doesn't contain at least 30 to 40% carbohydrates. I don't care what they say, if you can chew it, it's got 30 to 40 percent carbohydrates. It's not possible not to. If you think your bar of choice is low in carbs, you're deluding yourself.
So that's my take on "net" carbs...

Clarification on "Baby Steps" since I use that term quite often: I guess what I *really* should say is "don't be impatient". To me, Baby Steps does not mean something like gradually getting crap food out of your house or diet - that should be the first Major Big Step you take - as I quoted Dr. Phil and Rosemary Green about Environmental Control. Baby Steps to me means don't expect to see a HUGE drop on the scale. We are so accustomed to the ads and articles in magazines that advocate quick fast huge weight drops...that isn't what we're doing here. IMO, weight lost slowly STAYS off. I got a chuckle last week when I saw that a 'weight-loss' pill, Trimspa, is using ANNA NICOLE SMITH as a spokesperson. Personally, her endorsement would be enough to keep me from buying ANY product and of course the advertisement is for QUICK WEIGHT LOSS. Well...knowing Anna Nicole's history, she is a major yo-yo queen - she's lost and gained weight numerous times, each time ending up BIGGER than she was before. That's the result of 'quick weight loss' for most of us...

Baby steps:

Don't be impatient for results
Slow and steady wins the race
If you're new at weight training, TAKE IT EASY - don't try and do everything at once - otherwise you'll crash and burn
Same with cardio - your '10' is going to be different from someone else's '10' (maximum effort)
Free Days: If you're doing BFL, work towards going from a full free day to a free 1/2 day to a free meal and/or treat...

Yada yada yada...

Gotta run - going to do some quick cardio at the gym, then it's off to the stables... later y'all!
Old 09-21-2003, 01:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 206/175/145

Height: 5'4"

Hi!

Hope you are all doing great. Are LWL officially doing a Thanksgiving sprint? My pre-Thanksgiving program is going well. I'm now losing fat slowly instead of gaining it slowly!

Logging my nutrition on Fit Day has been especially helpful. My non-free day eating was OK before, but now I'm able to add a little more variety (and I'm really not eating candy for my carbs!) and still keep reasonable nutrients.

Instead of free day I have a 1600 calorie "eat day" that allows me a treat or two but prevents overeating. I think that even when I stop using Fit Day for my regular eating days I'll keep control of one day a week that I plan to eat more or have a treat food.

I still need to get in more cardio. Lifting has become a habit and a commitment, but I was pleased to stop my cardio on Body Rx and haven't been too excited about starting again. My goal for next week is CARDIO (I've now made that a commitment!)

Have a terrific Sunday!

Carrie
Old 09-21-2003, 06:29 PM   #3  
Crazy Candian in Aus

Default Back into it!

Ok.... after slagging off for a few weeks, I re-read my bible (BFL book), stripped the house of the unauthorised food, planned my grocery shopping and meals for the week and have 2 back on track workouts done!!

It feels awesome to be back in this place mentally! I found that I was totally exhausted last night after a killer upper body work out, but from memory, it was the same with challenge one... It does get better.

It is finally getting to be spring here, soon I will be complaining of the heat again! It was great to get out on the motorbikes this weekend, and my goal is to have the leathers fit much looser by Christmas.

Must get back to work (Monday morning here already!) and stay on plan girls!

Nola.
Old 09-21-2003, 08:16 PM   #4  

Hmmm. I thought "net carbs" were carbs that don't effect blood sugar level, more specifically, fiber. So number of total carbs minus fiber carbs = net carbs. Now, I have seen just this last week bars that claim "net carbs less than 3", I believe it was called Carb Solutions. Here's one for you - a new store is opening next to my gym specializing in low carb foods. Blame it on the Atkins craze I guess.

Had a good upper work-out this morning and feeling it. Today was also my 'free' day but I didn't eat anything I normally don't, just larger portions for the last meal, AND an SF fudgesicle for dessert. Pretty stuffed.

Tonight's my night for TV and reading, so see you all tomorrow. Happy Monday to those on the other side of the sun!

dip
Old 09-21-2003, 09:35 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

As of yesterday I am back to normal, so to speak, I started my periods... I knew I was craving and was super tired for a reason ! Last week I missed 2 workouts because I could not stay awake when I got up and went down to have my usual 4:30Am coffee... My eyes would just shut as I was sitting in my usual chair writing my diary... This weekend was so-so foodwise, but today was great... Monday I start my "Do or Die Plan" or I really like "Give Thanks Challenge" It has more of a positive note to it...

Tidey ~~ You are too funny, with your squat story!! I had several visuals!! Ring size is a sure indicator of weight loss...
Good for you!

JEC -- Canadian Thanskgiving is October 13th and American in November, I don't have an American calendar so I'm not sure of the exact date, someone did mention it early on...But for the Challenge we are going for the American date...Hands on head wall sits?!?! Damn I'm gonna look stooopid!! But I'll do it, ONLY cause you said so... BTW thanks again for the info you sent me, it's much appreciated...

Net carbs ~~ I just knew there was a catch... It just sounded too good... Like fat, a carb, is a carb, is a carb... Point Final!!

Ok gotta go... I"m looking forward to my leg workout in the morning with wall sits with hands on head.... sheeesh...

Later!

Last edited by Lanaii1; 09-21-2003 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:35 PM   #6  
Lovin' Zumba!

Tomorrow starts week 12 of my second Challenge - woo-hoo!

Despite what I did or didn't accomplish physically, the fact that I will have actually completed these two is an amazing thing for me! I remember back to that day in March when I was afraid to even start because I didn't think I had it in me to make this kind of commitment to myself.

I'm in the best physical shape than I've been in 10+ years. And I feel great!

Guess I showed me!
Cindy
Old 09-21-2003, 10:51 PM   #7  
JEC
Aussie and proud

From the other thread
Dip : thanks for the offer for the puddings but I already have a heap of them! They are good….
Tidey : sweetie I am sure that the material is just worn and that’s why they split.

This thread

Karen : I would love to have these sugar-free popsicles. They sound like the perfect summer treat. The favourite exercises thread sounds great. Then I can stop repeating myself!! How's your course going?

My Big fat greek wedding is hilarious. I watched 8 mile (again) and GI Jane. Most people I know hated that movie but I so related to it firstly because she is Navy and I once was and secondly because she gets buff in it. The surprising thing is that I haven’t watched it in about 18 months and I used to think how incredibly cut she was in that movie. Anyway when I was watching it yesterday I found myself saying ‘oh she isn’t as good as I remember.’ Amazing how perceptions change over time and experience.

Net carbs : This is one term that is used in 2 different meanings. The sugar alcohol one and the fibre one. I personally, when using the term ‘net carbs’ are referring to the fact that fibre does not provide calories for energy and is not digested by the body. The other term for this is active carbs. The sugar alcohol term is based on research that states that since certain alcohols don’t satisfy some crappy definition of carbs they aren’t listed on the nutritional labels and therefore are not counted. In my book (and a lot of other peoples) a lot of BS. That’s why we don’t recommend a steady diet of protein bars every day.

I hope that clears that up! (I will use the term active carbs so I don’t confuse anyone anymore.

Carrie : the GTC sprint is on! But I don’t know the date of thanksgiving to know when it is meant to finish!?? Please tell me!!!

Nola : Hi! It’s getting warm up here as well – it was 31 today. My Mum is flying up from there tomorrow morning to meet me in the Maroochydore for a few days. She loves the warm weather.

Ilene : I can’t wait to see how you do with your hands on your head – I think it won’t be so easy this week! I think the American one was the one we were heading for but I still need the date! Don’t make me research the net for it peeps! So you are starting what I sent on Monday??

Ok everyone I will be disappearing for 2 days to go to the sunshine coast to inspect one of our properties. Make sure that you all play nice! Can’t wait to get back and hear how the wall sitters have gone.

Cindy: Well done on your TWO challenges - that's a great milestone!

JC
Old 09-21-2003, 10:59 PM   #8  
Lovin' Zumba!

American Thanksgiving is November 27th this year.
Old 09-21-2003, 11:21 PM   #9  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Finally! thanks Cindy

Ok so from today it's 9 weeks and 4 days (it's monday here) or 67 days. When do we want to begin the GTC everyone?

JC
Old 09-22-2003, 12:14 AM   #10  

Hello everyone!

I went ahead and posted my stats on the other thread, and thought I'd post here tonight as well. As I have been thinking, I have realized that part of my reason for joining this thread is to increase my level of awareness in regards to nutrition and weightlifting. I have slowly lost weight, and am losing inches at the rate of about an inch a week, but I have this sneaking suspicion that my net loss would be faster if I had a more focused approach in regards to food and eating.

I've been focusing on 6 small meals per day, but not being too strict about what I'm doing. I don't avoid carbs except at night, but do have protien with each meal. It makes such a difference!

MsJim, I had to lol at your comment regarding Anna Nicole Smith. I find it interesting that advertisers use individuals who aren't always the best examples for what they are advertising.

Any recommendations for protien powder? I tried some of the EAS stuff, but I find it too sweet. I like the vanilla, just add fruit and a bit of milk for breakfast, but would love to find one not as sweet.

Take care everyone!

Lois
Old 09-22-2003, 12:16 AM   #11  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Lois: hi we love newbies!! Nice to meet you.

JC
Old 09-22-2003, 12:49 AM   #12  

JC - Thanks! How can I see the pictures that you all are talking about?

Lois
Old 09-22-2003, 12:51 AM   #13  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Lois,

go to the bodybuilding - getting started thread and there is a link to the MSN site there - labels - photos or something. Click on pictures when you get to the site.

JC
Old 09-22-2003, 06:45 AM   #14  
Meg

Good morning! I’m totally psyched for a Thanksgiving challenge — are we calling it the GTC? I’m starting today — time to shake things up a bit and see where I can go. I hope we follow up the T-giving challenge with one that takes us through Christmas and/or New Years because that, hands down, is the hardest time of year for me!

My legs are killing me and I just love the feeling! I haven’t been able to do legs much since the surgery but went at them full-tilt on Saturday and have been limping around ever since. I’ve decided to do legs twice a week until they’re back to where they were, so Tuesday you can count me in on the wall-sits and lunges. I do wall sits with hands on hips, rather than head — OK or not?

I’m familiar with both uses of “net carbs” that JC talks about — fiber and sugar alcohols. Did you ever notice that Fitday subtracts out fiber before it calculates your percent of calories coming from carbs and total number of calories for the day? So, if you use Fitday, it’s doing net carbs from fiber for you. The other kind of net carbs — those “net impact” carbs — are bogus, in my opinion. But I don’t eat anything like those bars or Atkins products that use them.

Karen — thanks for your explanation of “baby steps”. I so agree with everything that you wrote. Why be impatient when this is for the rest of our lives? It’s not like we’re going to lose X number of pounds and then go back to living and eating the way we were — because we sure know what happens next! Just do it day by day — and do it every day (consistency is key) — learn as you go and have fun along the way. The big secret I’ve learned about weight loss and maintenance is — there IS no goal and there IS no end point. It all becomes part of living our lives and we’re never finished. I think it’s fun to focus on small goals along the way (and check them off as you reach them) (199 was a biggie and I know some of you are SO close!) but for me, there isn’t any “final” goal. I want to see how far I can take this formerly obese, completely out-of-shape, 48-year old body. Look at Mel — squatting over 300 pounds! So I’m going to keep grabbing at stars (until I fall on my face — and then I’ll probably pick myself up and try again )

Hi Carrie! I really like your controlled “Eat Day” as a substitute for Binge Day. Great idea!

Hi Kanola! Good to see you again. And welcome Lois! I’m cracking up here because “Lois” is my MIL’s name and the idea of her ever lifting a weight is just too funny — she weighs about 110 pounds but could easily be about 25% BF. She’s totally allergic to any kind of exercise — and no, I’m never going to go there with her.

Dip — WTG on Free Day! I’m watching those numbers under your signature go down — you are getting so close to the biggie. We going to have a LWL party for you when you get to 199 (no cake and ice cream)!

Ilene — all I can say is that hormones suck. I hope you’re feeling better now and I’m going to be anxiously awaiting your description of leg day. You are a Leg Goddess to me!

Cindy — congratulations on (almost) finishing your second Challenge! Are you doing pictures and measurements? What are your plans for what’s next? Congratulations on your shoulder definition. It was so fun for me to discover things like shoulder definition and bones as I lost weight. Sometimes I’d lie in bed at night and try to figure out what the various lumps were — like ribs! The one set of bones I haven’t been happy to discover are whatever the ones are that are in your butt — cuz they’re HARD when your padding is gone and you have to sit on them!

JC — you’re so right on how our perceptions change over time. Mine have especially changed as I lost weight. I used to think that anyone smaller than I was automatically looked good and that’s changed as I went down in size. Of course, now I look back at my “before” pictures and also see the reality of how huge I was really was. When I was in my denial phase, I used to think that I didn’t look as heavy as I was or that I “carried it well”. Now I realize that no one can carry that much weight well — as Dip put it, there’s no hiding Big Bertha!

Ledom — congrats on the big 3.5# drop on the scale! You must be doing something right! Keep it up, girl!

And Tidey — you know that you didn’t just bust out of your pants — they had to have been worn out. BTW, that’s some pretty respectable weight that you’re squatting.

OK, ladies, this is Day One for me of the No Screwing Around, Time To Get Serious, Kick Butt and Take Names GTC! Chest and cardio on the gym schedule — perfect eats planned. Let’s do it!

Meg
Old 09-22-2003, 06:56 AM   #15  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

You're right, Give Thanks Challenge is much more positive. DOD is my motto now which indicates my desperation to get beyond this point that I've been stuck in. And I am making it slowly but surely. Had a great weekend in terms of food, no free meals. I will have one on Tues. night when D comes for a visit. JC, I think you asked about the pants-o-meter. It is good, but where I am really noticing some difference now is in my midriff area. That is a good thing too - I was able to wear a workout top that has been on the shelf for a year yesterday and it looked and fit good.
Closed Thread