Old 12-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #1  
Sailing the Grand Line!

S/C/G: 255/See Sig/130

Height: 5'8"

Default Question about Cravings

Hey everyone,
So, I had a question about cravings. I caved in today and had 2 McDonald's cheeseburgers and a whole large fry on my way home from work because I had been craving Micky D's all day. Like ALL DAY; even after eating my yummy healthy and rather filling lunch. I always heard "Oh, once you kick the 'bad habits' you won't even want fast food, candy, or _______" and I can's seriously believe it. I always want the 'good tasting stuff' even when I know I can cook healthy, delicious stuff at home too. Is it something anyone else deals with? Will the cravings ever go away or are they normal? Thoughts?
Thousandsunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/183/145

Height: 5'7"

I used to have those cravings too, and not all that long ago either. However, Iv'e been trying to focus on losing weight for several years now, and this year I threw myself into it: podcasts, working out, and taking advice from health experts. Finally, I realized that I was just eating too many calories than I was able to burn off, so two weeks ago, I buckled down and began calorie counting. I had been making ALL of my meals and bringing a lunch to work, and I even outsmarted myself and brought a snack for my car ride home (I could easily stop at a drive through on the way home, and did so many, many times. And I would come home and eat some more, until I was so uncomfortable I wanted to burst.).

I am only in week 2 of sticking to my caloric need, 1500-1700 calories, and I have already seen results. I was so proud that I was able to go to the next loop on my belt last Friday! Only 5 days of sticking to it! I mentally focus on controlling myself, which involves preparing everything for the next week and having good food on hand.

I'm only focusing on my diet for now, as I've heard it takes 3-4 weeks to effectively change a habit. I've been preparing my meals now for over 6 months, and that took a while to completely form that habit as well. Now, I stick to my plan and have no reason or need to eat fast food. As I know exercise is important to health and fitness, I will begin exercising again in January. But for now, completely focusing on my food intake and not stressing my body out, which will (and has) made me want to eat more.

This method may not work for everyone, but it has worked for me. It sounds like a lot of work, but it's really not. It involves putting dry, steel cut oatmeal into a sandwich bag, cottage cheese and yogurt into small separate containers, and crock potting a turkey or chicken with veggies and separating that into smaller, lunch-size portions. I make a half turkey and cheese sandwich or cut up veggies for the car ride home, and I take my coffee without sugar (only non-dairy cream) now. The little changes have made significant differences since I have stuck to my calorie intake.

When it comes down to it, weight loss comes down to calories in vs. calories out. I make it into a fun daily math equation (because I'm a huge dork, lol) and gauge my success based on my number.

Hope you can take something from this. Good luck and stick around on 3FC! Lots of good support here. Let us know how you're doing.

Last edited by coffeeshopgirl; 12-05-2012 at 09:25 PM.
coffeeshopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:30 PM   #3  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

Height: 5'2"

Cravings..oh those wicked little devils. I actually had a dream about krispy kreme donuts last week. So you know what I did? I got cinnamon roll flavored coffee and tricked my brain. Yes!! These cravings can be tricked!

Next time, try a big mac in a bowl, baby. Oh yea. Big. Mac. In. A. Bowl.

1 beef slider!
1 light slice of american cheese melted on top of said burger.
Chop up!
1 cup of iceburg lettuce!
5-6 dill pickles also obliterated into chunks
2 tablespoons of fat free thousand island.
Mix!
Snarf snarf!
Yum.

Try it!
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:32 PM   #4  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

I do believe that cravings subside after time. You gotta give it time to become a new habit and to break the old habits.

Good luck!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:44 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 310/298/250

Height: 5'3

I am so bad at managing my cravings :C
I just always want to eat unhealthy food and my family eating it doesn't help me at all. I try to just eat tasty fruits whenever I get a craving but sometimes it just doesn't work.
VaVaVoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:48 AM   #6  
babybat

Height: 5'7

Cravings are normal, some people can control them better than others...
I don't know if they will go away but try to control it for as long as you can...

I want a cookie so badly sometimes lol.
Babybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #7  
Sailing the Grand Line!

Thanks guys, these are all awesome suggestions! I will try that Big Mac in a bowl for certain. And counting calories doesn't sound bad either; I should try to be better about it.

Thanks for all the support!

I also want to say, the Avatars in this thread are hilarious and awesome. Babybat, that cat is wicked cute. To owlsteazombies: "And is it possible to say aliens built the pyramids? Think of it this way... yes." Love that guy. Love him!
Old 12-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #8  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thousandsunny View Post
Thanks guys, these are all awesome suggestions! I will try that Big Mac in a bowl for certain. And counting calories doesn't sound bad either; I should try to be better about it.

Thanks for all the support!

I also want to say, the Avatars in this thread are hilarious and awesome. Babybat, that cat is wicked cute. To owlsteazombies: "And is it possible to say aliens built the pyramids? Think of it this way... yes." Love that guy. Love him!

I do too!! And the guy that sounds like William Shatner!
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

For me, I focus on the good tasting stuff or whatever I'm in the mood for. If I want a burger, I'll make one with lean ground beef, maybe light cheese, 100 calorie bun, etc. If I want fries, I just cut a potato into fry shapes and bake it until crisp. The craving for a burger and fries is the same, but I've made the (homemade) food work for me instead of getting something out that usually doesn't taste as good as what I can make myself.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #10  
Sailing the Grand Line!

^ You make a great point about indulging but doing so with a healthier alternative. I need to cook more, I know it. I love to cook but I find myself falling to the "I have no time to cook" doldrums. Like last night; I was craving pizza so when we were out I grabbed a gluten free pizza at this place we always go. I thought it would be a healthier way to go but my stomach was NOT happy... probably because I ate the entire pizza. At least it was a small? I think I am spending too much time thinking the ole' "It's the holidays!" way and giving in way too often. Just have to buckle down, I reckon.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

For pizza, I usually just use flatout if I want to have a substantial amount of pizza (more than a little slice haha).

My craving is usually not pizza itself, but tomato sauce and cheese. In that case, I typically have homemade tomato sauce and tomato soup frozen on hand anyway. I usually have homemade turkey/zucchini meatballs on hand and eat that with sauce, or make zucchini noodles for a low calorie "Italian" flavor combo, even if you put full fat cheese on top. I like romano because it has such a strong flavor, or I mix in a tablespoon of Neufchatel (light cream cheese) for a creamy tomato sauce.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:06 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/110

Height: 5'4"

I just did a review for Flatout on my blog! They are SO good! And you can add all sorts of great toppings, like chopped onions, peppers, black olives. And use low-fat cheese. Super yummy!
free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:25 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 157/157/120

Height: 5'0"

I've read somewhere that it takes 21 days for something to become a habit. When I've really stuck to it, that holds true for me. I've successfully given up diet soda in the past (did it for Lent) and had zero cravings for a Diet Coke for a very long time. I don't remember why I started drinking it again, but I distinctly remember noticing after awhile that I didn't even think about it.

I tried to give up fast food for Lent last year, but cheated. I think my excuse was that some Christian denominations allow you to have your forbidden item on Fridays. LOL, the shame I feel typing that out.

Anyway, my point is that I think you have to commit to not feeding your specific craving for quite awhile before it goes away. Perhaps it will never go away completely. My brief stint as a vegetarian lasted for a couple months until I started dreaming about bacon every night. In that case I think my body was craving fat and protein.
emurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 193/176/130

Height: 5'8

I was like that.. until my brother said one thing that hit me. He said "you HAVE to resist the temptation, because if you give into every single craving you will never lose the weight" and thats the reality of it. I think especially with McDonalds, once you start its hard to stop because they have perfected the salt:sugar ratio in such a way, that it quickly becomes an addiction. So I think you should just take some snacks with you, and eat those in the car to keep you distracted. Its hard, but I know you can do it.
ilovemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #15  

S/C/G: See ticker

Height: 5"3

I agree with ilovemo Mac D is addictive so you have to find a way to control the urge. I used to sneak eat a cheeseburger happy meal " for the toy" a few time a week.

In the beginning of my lifestyle change, if ever I passed the big arches I would start salivating.

I can now sit inside with my children and just drink a water without feeling the need to sink my teeth into a burger.

I did take a nibble anew weeks ago and spat it out, it really tasted like cardboard. My tastes buds have really changed. I am sure yours will to.

Don't beat yourself up if you do succumb. But make sure that the rest of your day / week gets back on track.
Wheresmychin is offline   Reply With Quote