General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: HW: 260 Restart: 230/223/223.8

Height: 5'6

Default Confused and Overwhelmed

I've decided to begin eating healthy which is something i've never done but i want to start doing. The problem is i'm a college student working 2 jobs who doesn't have much time, or money. Plus my fiance is supportive of my goal, but he doesn't want to have to eat healthy just because I am. What can I do? i also need some on the go choices as well that i can eat at work. I'm not picky so any advice will help.
Brandibooxoxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #2  
Hangin in!

S/C/G: 169/159/140

Smile

Hi there I am doing a protein low carb low fat low sugar diet. It is kinda time consuming to prepare meals ahead of time. But when I was doing weight watchers I used to buy the frozen dinners called "smart ones" they are in a red box in the frozen food section and they are very good! which surprised me....weight watchers online is about 21 bucks a month and you count points...so when your working or in school pressed for time I found these meals the perfect solution. I also have a fiancé with a metabolism like a racehorse who does not have to watch what he eats. I have told him that he cannot bring certain things into the house that I absolutely cannot resist i.e.. chips lol...I am sure that if you asked your finance to do that he would be supportive...but you have to learn to live with some of it...good luck keep reading the forum it is a very good resource.

Last edited by lulubelly; 12-04-2012 at 02:08 PM.
lulubelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/155

Height: 5'10"

I bring my lunch bag with me to work or to whereever I'll be spending most of my day. If I prepack my meals, I can better control what I eat and not eat out like I used to do. I can tell you on a normal day, I pack a breakfast (usually a can of V8 Fusion and a fruit--either a pear or some berries), a mid-morning snack (a low sodium V8 and some almonds or something similar), lunch (this week I cooked and pre-packed into containers curry loaded with veggies), and a little baggie of dehydrated fruits (right now I'm snacking on some dehydrated strawberries). You can cook your meals in advance and pack them, like I do. Saves a lot of time and money. For the longest time I was afraid to cook for myself. I used to cook really fattening stuff, and then I stopped and didn't cook for literally years and ate out instead. Obviously, my wallet shrank and my gut expanded. So I started cooking again and have actually really enjoyed it. You can buy fruits and veggies in bulk and make them into soups and stews. Get creative. You don't have to eat prepackaged diet foods. I stay away from frozen and processed foods now. I like having a piece of raw fresh fruit for breakfast and maybe as a mid-morning snack followed by a lunch I prepared during the weekend. Tis the season for different soups, chowders, and stews. Last week I made a pot of corn chowder. This week it's shrimp curry. Next week it'll be clam chowder. It's cheap, you can make a load of it, and it's pretty filling. Check out some of the recipe sites for inspiration. You'll find that you can make something pretty tasty and healthy without busting your budget.
Lakilaulea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #4  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

A simple way to start would be by logging your calories, I use My Fitness Pal for that. Then prep what you are going to eat at the beginning of the day and pre log it. That way you won't be tempted to eat the quick and unhealthy things.

If your boyfriend doesn't want to eat healthy, don't cook him dinner. You don't need to be making two meals. With my husband I usually either give him 2/3rd of what I make and I eat 1/3rd for portion control, or I load him up on the carby bad stuff and I take more of the veggies and we equally share the meat.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #5  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

My tip for saving money while eating healthy: Don't buy pre-prepared anything. If you want a salad, buy the ingredients and make your own. Same thing for everything. Pre-prepared salads- even the salad bar at the grocery store- is ridiculously expensive for what you are getting. Also, consider making extra of whatever it is you make for dinner- and that's your lunch for the following day.

As to the fiancé, that can be tough. I have struggled with this issue with my DH and unfortunately most of the time it means we have to eat separately. He's a carboholic, I'm trying to eat paleo. For the first time ever, he's sort of cooperating- he's trying on his nights to cook to make paleo meals. It's a work in progress. But in the past, we ate separately when I was doing something different because he simply won't give up bread, pasta, cheesy dishes, etc. I'm unwilling to cook him a separate meal, so I make him fend for himself if he isn't interested in eating the way I eat, and I fend for myself.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW: 260 Restart: 230/223/223.8

i've been logging calories the past few days as somewhere to start and I have been jumping all over the place. the first day was the worst with about 2,011 cals and then the next day was 1,303 and Yesterday was 1,470 I was hoping to be at 1600 cals but the planning is what keeps getting me.
Brandibooxoxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:56 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 211/194/140

Height: 5'4"

Just want to comment quickly on what you said about your fiance not wanting to eat well. My husband is very, very picky about what he eats, including a strict no veggie rule. I fix meat every day for dinner and one side for him and anything beyond that is up to him. I'll buy the groceries but except for very special occasions I don't cook unhealthy crap. Eat what I fix or get it yourself. Unless of course he's physically unable to cook for himself, then it would be different.
Raven132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:38 PM   #8  
MaryGee

Why do I feel so guilty about what my BF eats or doesn't eat? I've got to get my head screwed on right. He's able to feed himself. My husband was a dream - whatever I made was fine with him - never a complaint. He passed away and now after several years, I living with someone new. And food is a big issue and causes lots of stress. Nothing I cook is good enough -- too bland, not seasoned, not imaginative enough....GGGRRRRRR. Basically we eat separately and he tries to lay a guilt trip on me. UUUGGGGHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!
forreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #9  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by forreal View Post
Why do I feel so guilty about what my BF eats or doesn't eat? I've got to get my head screwed on right. He's able to feed himself. My husband was a dream - whatever I made was fine with him - never a complaint. He passed away and now after several years, I living with someone new. And food is a big issue and causes lots of stress. Nothing I cook is good enough -- too bland, not seasoned, not imaginative enough....GGGRRRRRR. Basically we eat separately and he tries to lay a guilt trip on me. UUUGGGGHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!
It sounds like a difficult situation but the basic rules I grew up with is don't criticize the cook unless you plan on cooking yourself. That's the rule I'd lay down for the BF. If he doesn't like your cooking then he either should step up and do the cooking, or he should plan on fending for himself, because it's rude and ungrateful to criticize someone's best effort to put a meal on the table. There's millions of people on this earth that would gratefully eat what you made.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 172/162/145

Height: 5'6"

I have a daughter who eats a little differently than me so I have to have some easy snacks and meals that I can make for myself since she isn't on a restricted calorie diet like me.

Progresso Light soups are so good. I put half of the can in a bowl and the rest in tupperware for the next day. It is ONLY 70 calories for the chicken noodle and comes in a pull top container. I pair this with string cheese which is about 70 calories and they taste great together and the soup really fills you up.

An easy favorite snack idea of mine is to buy a bag of veggies at the store (I get a little one with carrots, celery, cauliflower, and broccoli) then pair that with Tribe Garlic Hummus. I love this snack and I don't count calories on veggies on my diet so it feels almost like a freebie, tastes so good, and I KNOW it is healthy for me.

Be strong and do a little research on how many calories are in your boyfriend's favorite meals so you can be aware of what you can and can't eat on your diet, or you might just have to make some small changes so you can both eat the same thing once in awhile or exercise in advance for higher calorie meals.

Good luck and you CAN do it if you just put your mind to it!

-Tigerlilly6
Tigerlilly6 is offline   Reply With Quote