Old 12-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #1  
A Healthier Weigh

S/C/G: 192/174/150

Height: 5'5

Default *HELP* To Dump Your Coach Or Not

Here's the situation: My husband and I were following IP strictly for weeks. We were spending on average $200 (7 boxes or drinks) a week, not including supplements and the $15 monthly fee for a special measuring machine.

We then discovered alternatives and have spent $60 or less for 6 boxes or drinks.

We love our coach. She's wonderful but I wonder what will happen once she realizes we're no longer purchasing food? We would love to continue going to her for weigh-ins and supplements but don't coaches normally kick you out the program for this?

Should we be honest with her or just stop showing up all together and weigh ourselves weekly?

For those that are on alternatives does or did your coach allow you to only go in for weigh-ins? Were you honest with them?
AZ247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #2  
Restart Apr 8 2013

S/C/G: 218.6/207.6/141

Height: 5'6.5"

I would give your coach a chance to support you. After all, you are still their client! I have no experience in this, but I have to imagine most professionals would understand the financial strain and want to support your IP purchases and progress...

Last edited by libertybelle; 12-01-2012 at 03:10 PM.
libertybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #3  

Height: 5'8

Ask your coach. she might be willing to sell you no or less boxes.
If not, you have plenty of support here and you have your husband.
southern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 286/247/150

Height: 5-4

Well... I guess what you should ask yourself is - "do I really need a coach?"
drixnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #5  
A Healthier Weigh

Thank you for the advice! Hopefully someone responds that has experienced this.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #6  
A Healthier Weigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by drixnot View Post
Well... I guess what you should ask yourself is - "do I really need a coach?"
Not really but I do appreciate the advanced technology and I just like her. I would be willing to pay $15 monthly to continue weighing in plus the cost of the supplements.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #7  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

I "broke up" with my coach at week 10 on IP. I got to a point where 1) It was getting too expensive to keep up with financially, and 2) my coach was sweet, supportive...but not very INFORMATIVE. I learned more on this forum in two weeks than I had in 8 weeks with her. I told her what I was doing, she was not willing to continue to measure and weigh me if I wasn't buying the products from her. Thank you for your help, have a nice day, went out and bought myself a scale and a tape measure
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #8  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ247 View Post
Not really but I do appreciate the advanced technology and I just like her. I would be willing to pay $15 monthly to continue weighing in plus the cost of the supplements.
Just FYI - that "special technology" is not as accurate as we would like to believe it is. If that's what is keeping you with your coach, save the $15 and go alternative. You can buy the IP supplements online at www.plainprotein.com - I still use all IP supplements and alternative food products.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 248.6/231.5/180

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorbett1103 View Post
I "broke up" with my coach at week 10 on IP. I got to a point where 1) It was getting too expensive to keep up with financially, and 2) my coach was sweet, supportive...but not very INFORMATIVE. I learned more on this forum in two weeks than I had in 8 weeks with her. I told her what I was doing, she was not willing to continue to measure and weigh me if I wasn't buying the products from her. Thank you for your help, have a nice day, went out and bought myself a scale and a tape measure
I had about the same experience with my coach as scorbett did with one exception she said she would continue to weigh and measure me if I wanted and sell me whatever I needed. Give your coach a chance, tell them the truth and hopefully they will support you in your weightloss no matter how you get there. If not you can get what you both need online as previously said.
MonicaKolesnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 230/195/140

Height: 5' 5"

I just had this conversation with my coach last night. This was my first time seeing her as my other coach was fired. I explained that I save $60 per month buying IP online. She really didn't comment as to whether she would continue seeing me or not, but said that it was important that the diet be medically supervised. The funny thing is; she is someone who recently lost 100lbs on the diet and then completed an IP course. I would hardly consider this medical supervision. I am still deciding what to do.
dawnwhite58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #11  
8/23/12 - 1/6/13

S/C/G: 170/140/135

Height: 5' 5"

I just stopped making appointments. I buy alternatives from Costco and Nashua. I just didnt need the aggravation of some of the silly things the coaches would say to explain why it was my fault I wasn't hitting 3 lbs every week. I'm much happier now.
Fishette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #12  
Reboot 9/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnwhite58 View Post
I just had this conversation with my coach last night. This was my first time seeing her as my other coach was fired. I explained that I save $60 per month buying IP online. She really didn't comment as to whether she would continue seeing me or not, but said that it was important that the diet be medically supervised. The funny thing is; she is someone who recently lost 100lbs on the diet and then completed an IP course. I would hardly consider this medical supervision. I am still deciding what to do.
This was recently a topic in another thread - if you read the "official" IP literature, it states that it is "medically derived" (i.e a Doctor created it). And in order to sell Ideal Protein, you have to have some form of medical license. But that includes Pharmacist, Dentist, Naturopath, Nurse, EMT...quite literally ANY medical license. The corporate literature doesn't suggest that it has to be medically monitored, but that phrase is a very compelling marketing tool for people who run clinics.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #13  

AZ247 - I'm trying to make the same decision. I'm going to try to find the pure protein bars tomorrow at the grocery store. I'm also ordering from Nashua and seeing how I do. I'm confused with all of the info but I need to look through all the alternatives link and figure it out. I think my place is so busy that they would hardly notice if I bought or not!
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 267/159/150

Height: 5"3

HeyAZ!! I just figured out who you are!! Welcome and thanks for the support on MFP.

I totally understand where you are coming from. I am only in the middle of week 5. I would like to stay with the coaching thing until after the holidays. Mine have not given me the warm fuzzies, but I feel like they would think I failed by quitting. Not that I would ever see them again.
Let us know how it goes should you talk to your coach. I can see both points. Yes, they are supposed to help us, but they make their living on our business which includes the food.
GL!!
NinjaNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #15  
Ready to reboot

S/C/G: Reboot with 140 as my goal

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
This was recently a topic in another thread - if you read the "official" IP literature, it states that it is "medically derived" (i.e a Doctor created it). And in order to sell Ideal Protein, you have to have some form of medical license. But that includes Pharmacist, Dentist, Naturopath, Nurse, EMT...quite literally ANY medical license. The corporate literature doesn't suggest that it has to be medically monitored, but that phrase is a very compelling marketing tool for people who run clinics.
Maybe it differs state by state.

I'm in Washington State. South central WA. There are maybe 4-5 difference organizations that are IP weigh in/sales centers. Our initial sales pitch was done by an OB/GYN. That's the first and last time we'll ever see an IP person that is a medical professional!!! The sales/weigh in people have absolutely (where I go) no medical credentials. They are trained by IP. They rent space at a clinic I think is the only connection to the medical community locally. Another place that sells IP is a bio-feedback place. Another is housed in a health clinic but that might be the only connection.Another is at a spa and organic grocer. hmmm
Great Dane is offline   Reply With Quote