Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #1  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Default December Chat

Hi all, fbs 5.4 today, am up a pound. Had a fabulous live concert last night, the folkie in me is still singing. Two gatherings today, I guess the holiday season is officially starting.
Will plan to stick to veggies, and maybe find the music players or game players, to stay away from the yummy treats. Of course at one gather, my little Lilia will be there, so I can play with her a bit, but will be competing with the other children.
Welcome Lizzie too.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Meant to get in and start up the month this morning but my Book Club guests didn't go home until after 1 P.M. so the day got off to a late start. I did take time to eat breakfast before I headed off to do pet therapy though. Did not weigh myself but BGL was fine despite a tad too much wine last night.

I made a sweet potato and black bean soup yesterday and just had a bowl for lunch. So comforting on a cold day. I'll probably have another bowl around 4:30 as I have to go and do tours in the Mill tonight until 9. It sure is cold in an 1810 stone mill with water running through it.

Mad, the folkie is still alive in me too. I am counting the days (12) until I go to see Leonard Cohen in Kingston.

Need to get a really firm grip on food intake this month because it is starting to look like one great big food festival. Expecting to lose weight would be silly but I'll sure try to hold the line.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Hi

Lizzie - Glad to have you with us. Look forward to getting to know you.

Fatmad - I know you will enjoy the little ones and hopefully they will be a good distraction for you.

Bonnie - You have a lot of stress in your life. You will be in my prayer and thoughts.

Lindyloo - Hi

Ruthie - You are one busy lady. Enjoy and I hope to just not gain any weight between now and January too. Some days are better than others. I hope when the holidays are over that our house guests will move somewhere else whether local or FL so my life can be less stressful.

I don't remember what I have shared with y'all about my DH. He finally had a MRI on his neck after the shoulder x-ray was ok. It seems that vertabra 6 & 7 are compressed pinching a nerve that leads down into his left arm. I don't like the doctor we went to. I don't think he is doing enough to help Tony with the pain and he let him go too long without finding out the problem and he never bothered to find out about DH history of heart or stomach problems etc into consideration even though DD did called and reminded them of everything although we had already told them. Plus DH is in the system at the hospital because the admitting nurse pulled it all up. Yet, he never tried to help him with the pain. DH had to take OTC meds which he isn't supposed to take for the pain. Now he is short winded, looks pale as a ghost. Primary doc was out so nurse had lab work done to check hemoglobin but we won't get results until Monday. I just hope he hasn't developed another ulcer as a result. DD goes to a pain management doctor for her neck. She says he manage the whole situation and he is really a caring doc. So she is going to call Monday is to make an appt with him and we will drop this other doc and let the PM doc take over DH case. So I'm hoping to get DH in to see pain management doc this next week. DH has to be off his coumadin for 5 days before they can do cortisone shots, but DD says there are patches they can use to help with the pain while we wait to get him started on treatments. I hope we can get him well before the holiday.

Have a great Sunday.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #4  
Madeleine

Oww Trish, neck pain is awful, and I hope you can get to the bottom of this and good care for Tony soon.
FYI, Tens machines are not too expensive now,($75-100) and can help a lot, without any drugs, quite nice for back and neck pain. I use mine several times a year. I have it officially to help with labour pain, but I use it for me more than my clients!
I have come down with a nasty cold, so won't be going away. I am worried I spread it a bit yesterday at the parties, although I am really good about hand washing in general so I hope I didn't give it too our friends. THe kids were a hoot, and I played very happily for a couple of hours.
Won't bother to check blood sugars, between cold pills and fevers the sugars will be high. Will just stay in and eat soup. And watch season 2 of Rizzoli and Isles on DVD. Can you tell I have an addiction to crime shows with strong female characters?
Hope everyone is doing ok. ttfn
Old 12-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #5  

Mad Thanks for the info on the TENS machines. I have problems with my neck from time to time and that just may be a good investment for both of us.

Not much going on right now. I've learned from the Diet 101 book why I seem to get ammonia smells sometimes which also causes a rash. Too much protein. I think I may have to go more vegetarian for a few days to get that out of my system. I may be one of those people who doesn't really need lots of protein. I will get my protein through dairy for a few days. While I love the vegetarian way of eating, I've never been rady to totally give up meat. So I will experiment and see how much my body will tolerate and keep it there. This weight loss is becoming more of a science experience lately. But if it works, I can't complain.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:49 AM   #6  
Madeleine

Haven't seen this in any of the diet books I have been using, but am extrapolating from an osteoporosis study I read on medscape.
One of the "concerns" about "high protein" diets is that they may be hard on the kidneys, as our urine becomes quite acidic from the meat proteins.
There may also be concerns about osteoporosis because of this.
The study had the people (men and women at risk of osteoporosis) take a potassium citrate supplement daily. Their urine was less acidic, and their bones grew stronger and denser.
Now, there are certain meds that this may be a problem for, so I am not suggesting we all go out and start this supplement, especially those on BP meds, check with a doctor before starting this particular supplement.
I thought it was interesting though.

on a personal note, still feeling crummy, and having slept off and on during the day, now can not sleep at night of course. Hence reading medscape articles for fun.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:14 AM   #7  

yeah do you all take vitamin D...i was lacking terribly in it when my last blood work was done...cause of the diabetes my doctor checks me over every 3 months...this helps your body to absorb calcium better..both my mum and uncle have bad osteoporosis...mum worse than my uncle due to taking prednisone at high doses for most of her life...she is in a nursing home at age 65...anyways thought i might mention it!!

Thanks soooooo much for the warm welcome...gosh i could post in most of these forums lol...lol...having diabetes and pcos as well as other things...oh heck does your bsl get better with diet changes??..low carb low sugar??..weight loss etc etc..i am hoping so!! would be a wonderful thing!!

fatmad-so sorry you are not feeling well hun...get better soon!!

patty-i am vegetarian for most of the week..having protein on 2 days..seems to be doing okays..only early days yet!! sorry to hear about your hubby i can sympathise with the pain..i have osteo arthritis and also shermans disease and there is not a day that goes by when i am not in any pain...i soooo hope that someone can help him with it!!...my mum takes dangerous drugs and is always in excruciating pain because her spine is literally crumbling from the osteoporosis...a tens machine is great for back pain...can you access a pain clinic??..they also help!!

All the best lovely ladies...cheers liz
Old 12-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #8  
Madeleine

slept better last night, but still feeling crummy today. Lots of fluids and tylenol is on the agenda. and yes, I do take vitamin D regularly, especially in the winter with the short days and limited sun.
Liz: how old are you now, and what treatment(s) did you get for the sherman's? Being in pain doesn't help the diabetes. Exercise is a great way to lower blood sugars overall, but may be limited by your other problems. Low impact is the way to go, but I suspect you know that. Aquafit or water jogging? stationary bike? whatever works for you.
I would also suggest you look at the website "blood sugar 101" and think about dietary changes that may be helpful to you. Fat has no effect on blood sugar, and protein not much. It is possible to do a lower carb diet and be vegetarian, using tofu and tvp as main protein and carb sources. but put a real emphasis on the veggies. Any weight loss is also helpful in that in reduces insulin resistance. Has your doc put you on any meds for diabetes yet?

well, time to make soup.
have a good day everyone.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmad View Post
Haven't seen this in any of the diet books I have been using, but am extrapolating from an osteoporosis study I read on medscape.
One of the "concerns" about "high protein" diets is that they may be hard on the kidneys, as our urine becomes quite acidic from the meat proteins.
There may also be concerns about osteoporosis because of this.
The study had the people (men and women at risk of osteoporosis) take a potassium citrate supplement daily. Their urine was less acidic, and their bones grew stronger and denser.
Now, there are certain meds that this may be a problem for, so I am not suggesting we all go out and start this supplement, especially those on BP meds, check with a doctor before starting this particular supplement.
I thought it was interesting though.

on a personal note, still feeling crummy, and having slept off and on during the day, now can not sleep at night of course. Hence reading medscape articles for fun.
I often wondered about the warnings about the kidneys because I've known 2 people on dialysis who were on low carb diets.

I think when I get my body straightened out and rid of the acid reaction that I will be able to do low carb, I just won't be able to do Atkins Induction. I do love the benefits of low carbing. I figure I can do a moderate low carb woe.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #10  

Liz My doc put me on more Vitamin D when he diagnosed me with T-2 diabetes. I take 2000 mg and DH takes 5000 per his blood doc. I've been reading how it helps with weight loss and getting bs under control and may up it to see if it helps. DD made a call to the pain management doc this I'm hoping that morning and I'm waithing for a call from them to set up an appt. Hope they call today. Our regular doc is out of the office and I hope that is not the case with the PM doc.

I have a nephew who is a vegan 100% and doesn't eat eggs etc as some do. His wife who is vegetarian gets her protein mostly from dairy and eggs. I asked her one time if she ate fish as I know some do, but she said that she didn't eat fish because she doesn't eat anything with a nervous system.
I am mainly trying to get back to eating lots of veggies and low carb fruit like berries. According to Jenny Ruhl's Diet 101 book, she suggests testing bs when eating different foods to see how much it raises you bs. I did that in the beginning and should go back to it and may do that eventually.

Madeleine Thanks for your help and I hope you are back to yourself feeling really great soon.

Ruthie, Bonnie, Rie, Lindyloo and others

Have a great day.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 12-03-2012 at 11:22 AM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 12-04-2012, 01:01 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 225/199/140

Height: 5'3

Default Need advice.

Hey,
I just wanted to see what diets are most beneficail to Diabetes? I have tried Atkins, vegan and diet pills but nothing seems to work for me. I want loss 60 pounds but do not know how. I am currently ffollwing the American Diabetes Association guide line with out losing weight. Any suggestions?
Old 12-04-2012, 03:13 AM   #12  

hey guys!!

fatmad- i am 40 hun...there is nothing that they can do about the shermans because my whole spine is effected by osteo arthritis...yeah i knows it does not help..but it tis something i live with..it comes and goes and is often worse in bed at night cause i am not moving..but then again if i do toooo much i suffer too..tis a pain in the butt!!..but i live with it and do things differently to save my back..i have had the pain for 5 years now ever since a serious back ender on the highway...nope i don't need to be on meds hun...my bsl has been for the last 9 months hovering around 6 or 7 on average..i have a blood test every 3 months.....yes i am starting hydro exercises with a physio on the 10th..our local pool has been shut for quite a while and i have been missing my pool work...yeps i am doing the low carb thing..i find it suits me..also low sugar and low fat...i am mainly vege but taking protein in meat about twice a week...i sooo love my veggies and alternate between salads and steamed vege omitting potatoe of course..
lol..lol..once a week i allow myself a baked sweetpotatoe no butter..lol..lol..i hopes you are feeling better!!..thanks for asking those questions!!

pattygirl-yeah i take that amount too hun!!...i have done a month of testing my bsl for 5 times a day i think..could have been 4 but i found out then that i cannot eat certain things cause it makes my bsl rise kinda high...things like pancakes and oatmeal...two things i adore but nope i cannot eat them!!..
gave myself a fright one day..forgot to wash my hands before testing blood sugar levels...i had just made a coffee with sweetner...and the reading was 18...woweeeeee..i ran outside and said to hubby..you had better take me to the hospital...but then i realised that it was the sweetner reading not my blood.. i did it again and whew it was okays!!..i laughed myself silly over that one!!

dustycat73-welcome welcome welcome..hmmm one thing that works for me is low carb low sugar low fat..but then again it might not be your thing...and losing that much is going to take some time i think..all depends on your metabolism..i have pcos so mine is sluggish at the best of times..i am mainly doing this to be healthier...weight loss is a plus to me!!
Old 12-04-2012, 05:45 AM   #13  
Madeleine

Good early morning friends: slept about 4 hours before the sore throat and headache woke me. Sipping tea and watching tv.
Dusty: any weight loss program helps the diabetes by reducing insulin dependence, some like low carb may help balance the blood sugars at the same time. But sticking to that is another thing, as we all know. Exercise is also good for all forms of diabetes.
Liz: a little confused, is the sherman's relatively new, or not treated when you were young?
Its great that you were testing and learning which foods cause spikes. I also love oatmeal, (especially the yummy steel cut oats, slow cooked with milk or soy milk) but I have to think of it as a sweet treat! , like all cereals.
well, for now, tylenol, tea and rest.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #14  

Madeleine Got the TENS machine and using it now on my back. Just like when I went to the chiropracter except much cheaper. Hope you feel better soon.

DustyCat My doctor told me that any diet will work. You just have to find the one you can live with.

Lizard When I was first diagnosed, I tested after everything I ate to see how it affected bs. I learned that from my Step-sister's hubby who got his bs under control doing that. My doctor was surprised when he saw how high my blood sugar rose when I ate oatmeal. I do eat steel cut oats and realized that I was only making it with 1/4 c instead of the 1/2 c of regular oatmeal. So one day I decided to try making regular oatmeal with 1/4 cinstead of the 1/2 c and I can eat the regular oats too. I always ate oatmeal because my Mama ate it to keep her cholesterol normal... high cholesterol ran in her family. Now I am able to eat it when I want it.

The PM doctor wouldn't take DH until Primary refered us and he was out of the office until today. I talked to his nurse 2x's today and he is giving us the referal and he will also make the appointment for Tony so we are waiting for the phone call so we can go in and start the treatment. His hemoglobin showed he was enimic so back to 2 prescription iron pills instead of one a day. They are also checking to see if he has another bleeding ulcer. However, he is already on meds for that because he is at risk of having them. Having to take aspirin and NSAIDs for the pain was not good for him.

My weight is kind of stable around 230 lbs so I guess that is good. The FBS needs to come down. I think that I'm really going to have to do more of a low carb woe to get the fbs down. Eat more low carb, lowfat foods. I'm beginning to ask myself... what is it that I want to eat that is more important than my health. Of course, nothing should be more important than my health.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:10 AM   #15  
Madeleine

Although I got out of bed early yesterday, I was tired a just slouched around most of the day, I feel like I didn't "wake up" until about 6 pm, and now can't get to sleep.
Feeling a bit better this evening, but not sure how much is from the cold pills making me feel better.
Glad you like the Tens machine Trish, like I say, can help a lot, and can't hurt you, unlike pain meds. I am curious if there is any affect on blood sugar.
Never thought of testing before/after use.
Will check in again later today.
Closed Thread