Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 11-23-2012, 07:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 238/238/154

Height: 5'5

Question Lactose Free Recipes :D

Hi,

My other half is latose intolerent so has anyone got any recipes that are low cal and latose free??

Easier the better but any help will do

Also jacket potato fillings? Cheap ones if possible, we've had chilli, ratatulli (excuse the spelling) eggs etc, any suggestions?

Thanks!
Oops A Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:05 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Can you use soy milk? You can also look up vegan recipes for ideas on lactose free recipes. There are a ton of vegan recipes. It is a US based blog but http://blog.fatfreevegan.com has a lot of good ones.

I never heard of jacket potatoes but I looked it up and it looks just like toppings for a potato? I'm boring and usually just top potatoes with pepper and powdered garlic. I see cheese is often used. In the US, our dairy free cheese options aren't very good but in the uk, you have some pretty good options. Cheezly is fairly good. I've heard of other ones as well but they are rarely imported here.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:11 AM   #3  

I have tried looking for vegan recipes but he likes his meat and so do I tbh. I guess I could use a vegan recipe and then shove some meat on top.

Yeah, jacket potatoes are probably baked potatoes to you. I live out in the sticks, so in our supermarket there is one latose free hard cheese and one soft cheese, both crazy expensive, so we have yet to try either of them, as neither of us can bare to spend that much.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:56 AM   #4  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

We use almond milk, there's a recipe on Reboot to make your own from almonds, I haven't tried it, because I can get it in the grocery, but it looks do-able.

Are you looking to convert some recipes that you currently do with milk, or to get away from recipes with milk altogether?

I like salsa on baked/jacket potatoes.

best of luck
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:51 AM   #5  

I haven't tried almond milk, but my other half has and he likes it, I don't like soya milk, since the first post I've gone lactos free too (stomach problems).

Preferably to get away from recipes that use milk completely as I don't like soya milk but any recipes that would give me ideas really.

Thanks
Old 11-27-2012, 08:56 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Even if you want to eat meat, I think vegan recipes can give you a lot of ideas. I bought my first vegan cookbook while I was still eating meat (and dairy and eggs). I just wanted to incorporate more veggies into my diet. 2 years after that, I decided I enjoyed eating vegan so much that I did go vegan. Many other people incorporate vegan recipes into their diet even if they aren't. That is really the only source of lactose free recipes that I have.

You can also make almond milk if you can get almonds cheap enough and you have a powerful blender. A food processor might be able to do it as well.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:50 AM   #7  

I do cook alot of veggie food now anyway, my budget doesn't always stretch to meat. I did look on the website you mentioned, I didn't get far as I'm on the work computer and it kept insisting its a "dangerous" website - I'll try it at home, but what I did see looked great. The lentil and mushroom shepards pie inpartiular. I haven't eaten lentils since I was little and I don't think I thought much of them then but my tastes have changed alot now so I'm up for giving that a try.

Almond and all nuts are expensive here. Almond milk is £1.50 a bottle here but I don't have a good blender, mine does for soups and that but nothing too hard.