Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 11-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #1  

Default Does sushi trigger a binge for anyone...

beside me? I love sushi and eat it sometimes, but many of those times it triggers a binge later that day. I think it is the rice that is a little sweet in combo with the salty soy sauce. I feel a reaction anywhere from almost right after up to a few hours later. What do you think?
kelleyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #2  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I binge on the sushi itself, or at least I used to. I made myself seriously ill last fall after having way too much and then suffering on a four hour drive home. I'm really bad with the rolls that have cream cheese or mayo in them.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 218 / 211 / 150

Height: 5'4

YES. Absolutely -- to the point I actually get worried when I feel a craving for sushi cause I know if I stop over the nearest Tesco store I'll get a pack and then end up having a massive 3,000 calorie binge with chocolates, crisps, etc later on post-sushi. Bad news is I'm a sushi addict.... takes me A LOT of control to stay on track after having some.
sffx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #4  
Dependapotomaus, no more!

S/C/G: 259/168/145

Height: 5'4

Yes. I think it's the rice. I don't eat many grains so when I have sushi it sets off the trigger to eat as many carby, grainy things as possible. I've had to cut back my sushi consumption to once every few months.
Lambiechop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:49 AM   #5  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Hmm, nope, never had that with sushi. But I've only eaten them in restaurants (=fresh), not bought pre-packaged at the supermarket or elsewhere; so maybe in the latter case, they contain additional ingredients that would trigger cravings? (Just like industrial white bread always makes me feel like eating more and more.)
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/175

Height: 5'3

I find that it happens with me, but I actually think it's because the boiled rice and raw fish fills you up very quickly, but then it is digested just as quickly and that's why you crave the saltiness from the soy sauce and the sweetness from the rice vinegar they use in the rice.
When I was behaving and in control of my food, I'd follow a sushi lunch with a brown bread sandwich filled with chicken and salad or tuna and salad. It would stop the cravings and fill me up.
Mission Fat to Fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #7  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I think I'm cured. I "risked"a roll from the grocery deli today because it had been so long since I'd had any, and blecchhhhh. I still feel gross.

I think that I reacted to the soy sauce because it's been so long since I had anything even remotely like that, and that may be what triggered binging in the first place because it sends some sort of wonky signal.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #8  

Well, I'm not the only one! I did buy my sushi from a good restaurant, so the quality is not the issue and I usually do eat grains. I think it is the soy plus sweet rice that triggers what happen later...

I hate it, b/c I LOVE sushi and of all the trigger foods?? I guess, maybe I could try eating more protein right before or something. Not sure if that would help. I just need to limit how often I eat it like some of you do.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 185/183/145

Height: 5'7"

I go to this sushi place with my husband and sushi only triggers a binge for me when I'm feeling stressed. Like, I'm feeling old and want to have a "fun like old times" date night and then end up drinking a few mixed drinks and wanting pizza and wings instead. However, I'm trying something new with my dinners: pre-making them over the weekend and limiting them to 300-400 calories. I'm interested to know if it's just a stress thing, or if sushi/date night means that I'm not eating my normal caloric intake of dinner (which, at this point, I overeat at dinner, so I have NO idea how much I'm really eating for that meal).

Not sure if that's what happening when you eat sushi, but maybe try comparing your sushi dinner to what you normally eat for dinner. Perhaps it's a caloric deficit that's inducing a binge?
coffeeshopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 161/155/130

Height: 5'5

Yes. Everything about sushi triggers a binge for me. Fusion rolls are fatty and delicious. Sashimi is fresh and delicious (dasghjda I gorge on sashimi...love my fish). Nigiri with well-made sushi rice is just as addicting.

It helps if I order sashimi instead of rolls b/c sashimi has less calories overall than rolls or nigiri and its cost makes me think twice before ordering more (LOL).
ObvSlplss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:01 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 185/183/145

Height: 5'7"

Lately, we've been ordering a fried calamari appetizer when we go out for sushi. It's been giving me the little bit of fried goodness that i want, then onto the healthy sushi that is way better for me.

Maybe getting an appetizer would help?

Good luck. I hope you don't have to give up sushi to lose weight!
coffeeshopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 275-280/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 6.5"

It's 50/50 for me with sushi. Either I'll binge on the sushi or I'll savor it so long that I get full before eating too much. I wish it were cheaper because I absolutely love it
ilidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #13  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

Height: 5'2"

No, I'm usually fine with one california roll.

But I will admit that buffalo cheddar popcorn from smartfoods almost caused me to spiral into a binge. I can't even tell you why. I had a cup and after that I would have eaten anything remotely bad for me in the entire house.
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:12 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 202/202/130

Height: 5'4"

I love sushi! Is it really truly so very bad for you? I think I am in denial about it. It seems like the only part that would be unhealthy would be the rice?

There is an all you can eat sushi place near my house. I decided I would treat myself to a binge with every 15 pounds I lose.

Maybe you could do that also?
dbsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #15  

dbsu- for me, sushi is fine. I eat all foods. It is just what happens AFTER the sushi that is not fine. Boooo. But, yes, I do have it sometimes b/c I love it and some of my friends love it too, so if we are going out to lunch many of my friends vote for sushi!