Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 11-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #1  

Height: 5'3"

Default Gastric Bypass in Mexico

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I'm having trouble searching the forum.
I've literally tried everything to lose and keep the weight off and at this point I'd rather have surgery then live with the constant battle anymore.
Of course the downfall is I'm in Canada, which as far as coverage is concerned is great but the wait lists are YEARS long. I don't want to wait to live my life healthy any longer.
So my question is has anyone here had the surgery Royx en Y Gastric Bypass in Mexico, or known someone who has? What was your experience?
Thanks!
Losingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Why Mexico? I have friends who have had it done in the States.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

there are some folks who've had surgery in mexico, and they've never said that they had any problems. HOWEVER, the biggest issue with going so far away is that it's often hard to find a surgeon at home to do the followup care. They often don't like to mess with someone else's surgery.

There are several folks from Canada here on the weight loss surgery board, and I don't think that they've had to wait years, but I also think that it's a province-by-province thing [see? i know you folks don't have STATES!!! LOL!]
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 169/ticker/117 HW - 174

Height: 5 1

Is it a two year wait time or is that part wait time and part of the process time such as education and professional appointments? My friend had hers done in Guelph Ontario and the only wait time was for her to be smoke free for 6 months then she could start the education/appointments? So her process was about a year long, maybe a little more. Maybe she just lucked out without having to wait.
Josiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:33 PM   #5  

Height: 5'3"

Ruthxxx-Mexico because the cost is significantly lower then in the States.
Jiffypop- lol glad you know we have provinces Its probably true that different provinces have different wait times.
Josiee-I'm not sure about the reason for the wait times. I think part of it is the funding from the medical system probably limiting the number done in a year. Also the presurgery stuff I'm sure, but I know of one person for instance that waited 4.5 years for her surgery. I'm going to look into different doctors and cities then her and see what I can come up with but I'm inpatient to get this done.
Losingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:41 AM   #6  
Old Cackler

oh darlin. no matter how impatient we are, there are still roadblocks and hurdles to overcome. I wouldn't be surprised if you have to have a 3, 6, or 12 month supervised weight loss program first, or if you're told that you have to lose a certain amount of weight before they schedule the surgery [that's to shrink the liver, and to see if you can follow directions and stay motivated].

Keep your eyes open as you check out different surgeons and cities - there are many reasons that a surgeon will have a shorter timeline than another. but ONE reason you want to avoid is that he/she might have poorer results than other surgeons [more complications, more re-ops, less weight loss, and so on].

keep us posted! it'll be an adventure!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:04 AM   #7  

Hello just wanted to throw my 2 cents in lol. I'm from texas and know ppl that have gone to Mexico for dental surgery and other things and have heard of some going for gastric and they have said that they are the cleanest offices they've ever been to. BUT lol there is alot of crazyness going on right now in Mexico so for personal safety issues I wouldn't do it. Really the only safe places are all exclusive resorts like cancuun, cabo, etc. please just keep that in mind
christyk28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #8  

Check out "The World According to Eggface". She had her surgery in Mexico a few years ago. As for me, I'm in the US and it took a year from start to finish to meet all of the requirements for WLS. Good luck!
pattip574 is offline   Reply With Quote