Old 11-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #1  
Back to being healthy

S/C/G: 245/see ticker/175

Height: 5'8'

Default How do you get past a slump/ lack of motivation

I started this journey July 27 of this year. So almost 4 months and almost 40lbs. The weight has started to slow coming off. I am losing my mojo. I have zero motivation to eat right and zero motivation to exercise. I am still doing it but half hearted.

How do you get past this? What have you done to get through this bump in the road? I still have 60+lbs to loose for my goal. I guess part of my problem is not seeing the rewards for my hard work. Yes I see I look better and yes I have more indurance. I don't know what I want to see but I know I am not satisfied right now. Anyone else been in this spot?
Lishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Well, this is in retrospect...

I felt like that too, I was in a slump and felt like I would NEVER get there, so I ended up being less strict with my eating, trying different things, quitting what had worked in the past... and I regained like 40 pounds. NOT worth it!

So my advice is to really take it to heart that even though maintaining where you are for a few weeks or months might sound awful, regaining is far worse. So hang in there and if you have to, just focus on NOT gaining!
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #3  

Height: 5'8.5"

I can relate, as my weight loss has certainly slowed to a crawl... argh.

But I don't rely on "motivation" as feelings are so fickle. For me it has to be a decision I made/make and keep going regardless of how I feel. Today I am up two pounds AGAIN! I would like to just go eat whatever I want, and lots of it. But I won't because I WANT this weight off.

It is hard; I certainly don't mean to imply otherwise. Hang in there...this too shall pass!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #4  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I think this is a matter of both perspective and emotional resilience, the ability to bounce back or stay the course when you're not topped up on emotionally positive juice. It's much easier to stay on track when you're juiced on fresh enthusiasm and early more-rapid weight loss.

You've accomplished a lot! You are definitely NOT appreciating how far you've come, Lisha. And in a fairly short period of time too! This is not unusual to feel like this, but it's not going to help you. What is helping you is that you've come here to talk about it. Such a good strategy! Get everything that hinders you, from emotions to stress to snarky comments from other people, out in the light of day where you can see it more clearly for what it is.

The reality of your weight loss is that it's not going to be at a consistent rate. The closer you get to goal, the slower the rate will be. And there are so many differing opinions on how to lose weight, or why it slows down, or how you can ramp it up again, or how well you'll be able to keep it off.

For me, I suck at keeping myself motivated. I don't remember to value my progress and I have a hard time seeing how much better my condition is now that where it was before. It's like I'm looking at myself with one of those magifying mirrors, where my skin looks like the surface of the moon and my body resembles that of a manatee. But I have really good friends around me that remind me how far I've come. They see and let me know that my posture is so much straighter now, and that I don't look my age at all. (I'm 51 and have recently been mistaken for 38 - which I choose to hang on to and totally believe!) And they tell me when I'm dressed well or I smell nice or how much they enjoy my company. And I am choosing to believe them and accept their compliments. Even though that nasty mirror is still in my bathroom!

Lisha, there will be multiple bumps in your road to your goals. All they are is bumps. Not mountains.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 186

Height: 5ft 3 in

I wish I had great advice to give but I am finding myself right there with you. Just know everyone here has these times but they keep working toward their goal. I am trying a new mantra " I am not a quiter, if I fall off I will get back on". I have been successful at this before and found if I keep going no matter what I'll get there eventually.
Bricon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:48 PM   #6  
Back to being healthy

S/C/G: 245/see ticker/175

Height: 5'8'

Thank you ladies so much. I am just having a bad week. Be it hormones or the weather I don't know. I have still been eating right and under my goal. My exercise is falling off but that is ok as long as I get back to it next week. My daughter is sick so no gym for me. I don't think it will ruin everything to take a break.

The honeymoon is over LOL. Now its time for the tests. I am determined and stuborn. I will make it throught this.
Lishar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/185?

Height: 5'6"

Don't rely strictly on the your scales. They only give you a part of the story. How are your clothes fitting? How is your exercise going? Are you feeling healthier/happier/stronger? There are more elements to healthy weight loss than just numbers on a scale.

Don't give up! It is worth it! I wish I had never given up. I'm having to basically start at square one. Whatta pain.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
MrsTryingAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #8  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

Sometimes, I simply take a little break...I'll either keep my diet the same, and slack on excerise, or vise versa...Usually for a week or so(but I've taken breaks up to a few months) then my modivation kicks in and its time to keep going.

Even if we can't always see our own progress, it is noticable. You've lost an amazing amount of weight, and have achieved something not everyone can do. Push forward. You've got this.

Last edited by baker23; 11-18-2012 at 03:56 PM.
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:24 AM   #9  

S/C/G: HW:280 CW:? GW:150

Height: 5 foot 5

I just ask myself which I want more, to be fat, unhealthy and self conscious to the point of not leaving the house a lot of time or to get my big butt off the chair and workout for a while. Do I want to eat everything willy nilly and feel completely out of control of my own life and actions or do I want to CHOOSE to eat a sensible portion and feel good. I have set it in my mind that this is what I should have been doing all along so I am just righting the wrongs I have done to myself. I make nothing off limits, I can eat anything as long as it is a normal portion (regular serving size), not a tubolard portion (eat until I am ready to pop )
tubolard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #10  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

I have been stuck for months at the same weight and it sucks! However, I am proud and heartened to know that I can maintain and not gain. That's an accomplishment by itself. Yes, I want to keep losing and reach my goal. Yes, sometimes I feel like I am trying to give myself a trophy for merely "participating" rather than actually winning. However, every day that I don't regain all the weight I have worked so hard to lose is a victory. It is for you too! You've done an amazing thing and continue to hold strong every day. The scale will eventually move - in the meantime, keep up the good habits you have fought hard to develop. It will pay off!
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #11  

S/C/G: HW:336/CW:236/GW:175

Height: 5' 7"

Even if you're slowly making progress, it's still progress. My weight loss has been slow. I've stalled for months at a time, but just kept going because I want this so bad. Sometimes I feel as though I'm not making much progress, but when I look back and see how far I've come since July 2011 I know it's worth it. You've made great progress. Don't give up!
mandydawn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 280/256/234

Height: 5ft 2inches

I am not an expert on keeping on track but I wanted to suggest that you might consider making mini goals or fitness goals or nutrition goals so that you have other things to celebrate along the way. Maybe shake up your program by adding new elements like a new veggie or recipe or trying a new sport or exercise routine. I also like to really celebrate were I am with new outfit or new underwear or a manicure. if I am going to do this forever then I want to find joy in journey
5aday is offline   Reply With Quote