Goal! Have you reached your goal? Share your success story and celebrate your victory!

Old 11-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #1  
Carbivore

S/C/G: 260/167/172

Height: 6' 2"

Smile Full success : 260 to 172 lbs in 6 months, and a new life

My name’s Barthelemy, I’m 32 at the time of writing these words. I live in Poland, work as a private language teacher and international business consultant, and I’ve been struggling with weight all my life. I’ve been on a diet several times, always hated it because I simply love food. The last time I had a correct BMI was at the end of high school, with 160 lbs on the scale. Then came the student’s life, very unhealthy, followed by different sitting jobs, and 10 years later, I ended up with 260 lbs. Some would say it’s not that bad, that it doesn’t significantly complicate life. You can still shop in normal clothing stores, and you can fit into a single seat on a plane. But that’s not enough to live a life at the fullest. We all have one life, and there was no reason why mine couldn’t be truly awesome.
Working with my foreign students was my first source of inspiration to change my lifestyle. I spent a lot of time talking people from China, Japan and France about their cuisine, food habits, and lifestyle. I deeply wanted to understand more how they manage to avoid obesity problems in their nations. That gave me some ideas worth trying, and finally turned into a sustainable, completely new lifestyle, healthy body, clear mind, and 88 lbs less to carry. The main part took 6 months, starting end of March this year.
I can’t say it was hard – the mindset of working on self well-being was (and still is) a wonderful experience each single day. Losing weight was a side effect. When you realize you only live once, and you cannot expect to experience more good than what you’ll do yourself, the power of unhealthy habits weakens dramatically. Also, changing diet and lifestyle for health benefits take off the pressure from getting rewarding results on the scale. And these results come easy when you don’t care about them. Caring about health is the priority.
I always enjoyed riding bicycles as sport as well as for commuting. Now I also started to like running, as a quite intense form everyday leisure to balance my sedentary job. I almost never exercise because I find it quite boring.
It’s almost a year I have no TV, I try to not lose time on things without meaning. Health, joy, love, passion means something. TV, couch and fast food just don’t. I eat over 3.5 lbs of food a day, I never wait to get hungry, but also never eat more than one big plate of food at once. It’s particularly important due to the fact I had one serious obstacle on my path to control my food habits. I’m missing a major part of abdominal muscles which allows my stomach to stretch very easily, compromising the physical signal of satiation. It’s cool when you want a career in competitive eating, but not when you want to gain control over compulsive eating. But finally, it had not made it too hard to achieve.
Now I see the modern world in a completely new way, and the health problems of western societies not as something what is just “happening” but as an integral part of a logical result. Obviously, people who know me ask many questions – from “do you have cancer?” to “how the **** is it possible?” And I enjoy talking about my experiences, about popular objections, beliefs and myths. I enjoy listening to people who want to change something in their life, and argue with those who already convinced themselves nothing can change for them. My friends from school and studies, who never been overweight, are now heading towards heart attack or stroke in less than 10 years time. It feels rewarding to be a role model for people who were always fitter and leaner than me.
I found this forum only now, and I’m willing to participate to it, staying curious about people, their motivations and their will to improve their life.

6 months separates these pictures :

Last edited by MadProfessor; 12-03-2012 at 09:49 AM.
MadProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:02 PM   #2  
zay

Hey Bart, congratulations on your success. Your story is interesting and you've made quite the transformation both inside and out. I like your wholistic approach. Thanks so much for sharing.
zay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:31 AM   #3  

Height: 5'8.5"

Congratulations! I certainly agree it needs to be about health and lifestyle. The more I study on our Western style way of eating, the more I give up of it and am going back to whole foods as much as possible.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 260/260/180

Height: 5' 8"

Barthelemy,

What an amazingly cool story you have. I, too, have just found this forum, and I know myself well enough to know that how I think about things is key. Anything that you would like to pass on about how your thinking changed, after talking to those other folks, I would like to hear. I like your phrases "the mindset of working on self-well-being" and "caring about health is a priority." Congratulations, thanks for being that role model, and thanks most of all for coming here to describe your success.
Calmontflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Bart, Welcome and congratulations on your success.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:22 AM   #6  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Height: 5'7"

Congrats that is a great story. Thank you for sharing it

Welcome to the site as well.
moonkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #7  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

Thanks for sharing Barthelemy, it was a pleasure to read your story. I love your positive attitude and I wish for lots of health and happiness in your life. I hope you stick around!
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #8  
Carbivore

Thank you very much for your warm welcoming. How about now, when the full before/after picture is attached?
Old 11-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 223/130/126

Height: 5ft 5

Hi Bart, welcome to the forum and congrats on your weightloss success

Great pics, you can really see the change
1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #10  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

Its fanastic that you started looking to different cultures, and viewing their lifestyle as an inspiration.
I have alot of friends with different cultural backgrounds as well(especially in Thailand, Phillipines, France and Romania) that I've had the pleasure of meeting, and it truely is facinating how different their lifestyle and views on food compare to ours...

...Enjoyed reading your story very much and you look great.

Last edited by baker23; 11-25-2012 at 04:27 PM.
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 234/230/120

Height: 5'4"

Wow!!! Congratulations, you've got a lot to be proud of.
Coffeelover64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:00 AM   #12  

you look great!
chaitea115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:30 PM   #13  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Congrats!!!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #14  
ChristineP

S/C/G: 196/196/140

Height: 5'2

Hey Bart congrats! I am Polish myself , living in Canada though!
I'm VERY curious, what DID you find out about the Chinese/Japanese/French cuisine? How DO they stay so fit, I always wondered myself to be honest.
I love Japan
survivinglife19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #15  
Carbivore

Thank you very much

What I've found out? Lots vegs and fruits, less meat and fat, no dairy, some fish, 3-5 eggs a week. And maximize the variety of fresh ingredients - 3-4 things on the plate is not enough, 10 is the least what satisfies me. Carbs are by far the main source of calories, and it's important to begin a day with a whole lot of fast carbs - 150 grams of carbs for breakfast is a good norm. Whole foods are preferred. Simple as that