Old 11-16-2012, 10:23 AM   #1  
Almost there!

S/C/G: 212/163.8/130

Height: 5'4

Default Is this dinner low carb friendly?

My husband's birthday is coming up and he wants to go out to dinner to some new steak house restaurant that opened up not too long ago. Anyway, I looked at the menu online and the only thing I think I can get away with is this:

Grilled Salmon with lemon pepper butter. (the lemon pepper butter is described as special so I am assuming something else is added to it, like sugar or something. I don't know, so I was going to order the salmon without the butter. I am not a fan of lemon flavor regardless). Anyway, there is chicken but it's marinated in what I don't know so that's out. And I am not interested in steak either.

A salad is considered a side so I was going to get that with blue cheese dressing. Is a different dressing better? Caesar salad is also a side, should I get that instead?

And another side would be green beans. The other sides are not low carb friendly.

Thoughts on this? Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by Stars; 11-16-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:27 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Lemon pepper butter probably doesn't have sugar added to it. That seems like a weird addition. A marinade for chicken probably does have sugar.

The salmon and a salad with blue cheese sounds good. If they have asparagus or something other veggie you can add, that would be good, too.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #3  

Lemon butter should be fine. Not the chicken marinade. Usually, steak houses have steamed veggies or they can make them for sure. Ask for steamed broccoli or asparagus if you like those. The salad seems good, too.
nomorejellybeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #4  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Blue cheese is probably the lowest carb dressing there is because there does not tend to be any added sugar in it (like you'd find in thousand island). Its pretty high in fat, however. So, if you are watching fats, that is something to consider.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #5  
Almost there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorejellybeans View Post
Lemon butter should be fine. Not the chicken marinade. Usually, steak houses have steamed veggies or they can make them for sure. Ask for steamed broccoli or asparagus if you like those. The salad seems good, too.
I would love broccoli or asparagus, but unfortunately they don't have that on their menu. The least offensive would be the green beans (If this is not a good choice, please let me know). Other than that, besides the green beans, everything else is not low carb friendly. They do have a side that's labeled fresh vegetables, but that is a mix of veggies and has to contain carrots and potatoes I am sure. I will double check when I go.

Im ok with the high in fat blue cheese

Thanks for the replies everyone! If the green beans are not ok, please let me know!

Last edited by Stars; 11-16-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I am not doing low carb but I do count calories. My pretty standard choice at a restaurant is salmon and steamed vegies. If salad is included I order dressing on the side.

Last edited by bargoo; 11-16-2012 at 10:56 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #7  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

I never understood why green beans are not approved for some diets. When you look up the nutrition facts, the amount of carbs are not really different from - say, broccoli, and it seems to have the same glycemic index. Does anybody know why green beans are a no-no on some diets?
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Why is the salmon the only thing you can get away with? What about a steak?

Why not call and ask what's in the marinade(s).

Green beans should be fine. Paleo sometimes omit beans because most beans are inedible or even toxic raw and therefore weren't thought to be common in early human diets. However, carb-wise beans are usually low-carb IF they're not overly mature and IF you are eating the pods (so green beans, snap peas, and snow peas are usually ok, whereas the mature sees of those beans - the pea and bean parts aren't allowed. Not only because they're much higher in calorie density and lower in fiber when the pod isn't eaten, but also because the pea/beans are much more mature and therefore higher in starch/sugar content).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #9  
Almost there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
Why is the salmon the only thing you can get away with? What about a steak?

Why not call and ask what's in the marinade(s).

Green beans should be fine. Paleo sometimes omit beans because most beans are inedible or even toxic raw and therefore weren't thought to be common in early human diets. However, carb-wise beans are usually low-carb IF they're not overly mature and IF you are eating the pods (so green beans, snap peas, and snow peas are usually ok, whereas the mature sees of those beans - the pea and bean parts aren't allowed. Not only because they're much higher in calorie density and lower in fiber when the pod isn't eaten, but also because the pea/beans are much more mature and therefore higher in starch/sugar content).
I could get away with steak but definitely don't want steak and to be honest, I prefer the salmon over the chicken. I eat chicken a lot already. Unfortunately their seafood list just consists of that salmon dish and another dish which is shrimp. I guess because they are mainly a steak house.

Thanks for the info!

Last edited by Stars; 11-16-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:07 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars View Post
My husband's birthday is coming up and he wants to go out to dinner to some new steak house restaurant that opened up not too long ago. Anyway, I looked at the menu online and the only thing I think I can get away with is this:

Grilled Salmon with lemon pepper butter. (the lemon pepper butter is described as special so I am assuming something else is added to it, like sugar or something. I don't know, so I was going to order the salmon without the butter. I am not a fan of lemon flavor regardless). Anyway, there is chicken but it's marinated in what I don't know so that's out. And I am not interested in steak either.

A salad is considered a side so I was going to get that with blue cheese dressing. Is a different dressing better? Caesar salad is also a side, should I get that instead?

And another side would be green beans. The other sides are not low carb friendly.

Thoughts on this? Thanks in advance!!
When you walk into a restaurant you can ask for anything you want and most of the time if it's possible they will make it for you. For example you can ask for chicken plain and grilled without the marinade. You can ask for the lemon butter on the side. You can ask if it's possible that the vegetable medley be prepared without the carrots or potatoes. Allergies and certain diets require that restaurants adapt to their customers and restaurants do very well with these requests in my experience. Check out the whole menu and ask about their flexibility. A waiter has to know what is in that marinade and if he doesn't he will go and ask the chef, nobody is keeping secrets from you.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote