UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #1  

Default so much to lose

Hi, Im new on here. Ive tried to diet before, but am starting again, Im going to follow slimming world, I have the diet, but dont want to go to the classes. Anyway, I started at the gym today, and decided to weigh myself, i felt so depressed afterwards, Im 20 stone, Ive never been this much ever. I know i can make changes, and get back in control, but really need some encouragement. I suffer with back pain and pain in my legs, and know this is due to my weight. Feel really daunted by the challenge ahead. Maggie
maggieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #2  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hi Maggie. Congrats on your desire to get started. You can do it! We are all in the same boat here!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:27 AM   #3  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I have found it better to focus on small changes I could live with long term and add them up as I go along.

A little here, a little there, a little somewhere else, has led me to year of maintaining. It's not been a perfect journey, but I've done it!

Congrats on embarking on a new life! A bit here a bit there, you'll get there!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:01 AM   #4  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

Hi Maggie,
As you can see from my ticker I started wayyy heavier than you are now.....and I had been up over 23 stone for a long time. There is a support group for us around 300lb on 3fc. I know you are less than that but there is some really good help and advice and some members that have lost alot more than me.
All I can say is that I focused on the long term and health goals rather than "gotta lose 5 stone in 2 months" which is the mentality I had previously and why all my diets failed. If I have a bad day or few days now I try to be a bit more philosphical about it rather than convince myself I am a failure.
Go for small achievable goals rather than "OMG 10 stone ( or whatever) to lose I will NEVER do it" I don't beast myself at the gym 5 times a week I can't afford it and it isn't practical for me for several reasons. But I walk my dogs every single day and have increased from a very slow 0.25 of a mile to a quite fast 2.6 miles a day with more if I have the time.
You have made the biggest step by actually starting your journey in the first place!
Good luck.
Oh and plan your meals and shopping!
mountain walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #5  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Welcome!

The big picture can be incredibly overwhelming to look at. Setting a TON of mini-goals helped me with that! It's a good way to break it up and focus on smaller chunks of weight, plus you get to celebrate successes more often which helps keep your morale up!

You got this!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #6  
Finally in control.

S/C/G: 294/236/199

Height: 5'4"

Hi Maggie...my advice to you is, "Don't think about your final goal". Pick a small goal and focus on that. Sometimes focusing on how far you've got to go can really keep you from getting started. I kept gaining weight because every time I thought about how much I had to lose, I put off starting my diet for another day and another day.

Also, let's say it will take you a year to get to a good place. The year is going to pass whether or not you commit to your diet. So ask yourself, in a year, do you want to be proud of your progress or wishing you had stuck to your plan?
ChickieBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 238/213/150

Height: 5' 5"

Patience Grasshopper...

I agree with the others who said that you shouldn't focus on how much weight you want to lose overall. Definitely start with mini goals. Or if you get too obsessive about the numbers (I do) just focus on your weekly goals. My weekly goals consist of drinking enough water, getting enough sleep, exercising at least 4 days a week and eating out no more than 3 times a week. Sometimes you just have to take it one week at a time, or maybe even one day at a time.

They say it takes 3 weeks of doing something before it becomes a habit. So just create goals one at a time and add on when you feel comfortable. Don't overwhelm yourself. Running a race can only be done one step at a time. So don't focus on the finish line just yet. Focus on making those first steps and go from there.

Oh yeah and NEVER GIVE UP. It will happen eventually.
Learning 2 Live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

I agree with what others have said. Sometimes the "Big Picture" can seem overwhelming. I focus on each day. I plan for the day ahead. If you slip don't throw in the towel, just keep moving forward. You can't change the past, you can only improve the future!
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #9  

Hey Maggie

I'm restarting a weight loss journey. I originally lost 8 stone to get to 12 stone and slowly 4 crept back and I've been yoyo-ing between 16 - 17 stone for a year or so. I'm also following slimming world but not going to classes.

So I need to get 4 stone down but I'm going to focus on half a stone at a time... Setting small goals and fun rewards...

Good luck - I only joined today and it seems so friendly
xx
rosyredapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 218 / 211 / 150

Height: 5'4

Hi Maggie

If you look at it as a lifestyle change instead of a diet it can make it seem less of a challenge. I started at 240lbs and at that weight could not imagine being able to get any less than past the 'obese' BMI - so I picked 178lbs as my goal weight, instead of going to 150lbs (normal BMI cut-off). It makes it less daunting and a lot more encouraging to see your progress on a weight loss ticker if you split it up into two or more big milestones.

I've now got past my first ticker of obese->overweight BMI and started on my second ticker towards the overweight->normal BMI. I'm planning for my third ticker to be towards maintenance weight (somewhere in the middle of the normal BMI range). It makes me feel amazing to reach a milestone when I get to the end of a ticker! xx
sffx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #11  
Claim it ,Achieve it!

S/C/G: 212/104.2/120

Height: 5'2"

Welcome Maggie
I try to focus on one day at a time,but mostly I go hour by hour.
First make it through breast fast then midday ,lunch ,dinner and the dreaded Evening.Thank God I made it through another day.
Somedays are much harder then others and not quiet sure way.
Find what works for you everyone has different preferences.
I lurked here along time before joining but I was on Ideal Protein which I love
Good Luck
Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #12  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

Height: 5'2"

Who can lose over 100lbs? No one? Who can lose a pound? Everyone.

Who can do it for a year? No one. Who can do it one day at a time? Everyone.
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 264/237/168

Height: 5*10

Hi Maggie,
It's daunting to start with but just think - today is the very last day EVER - you will be that weight, by tomorrow you will be a few ounces less, by your next weigh in, a pound or more....
Good Luck
libsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 216/208/120

Height: 5'1

Oh yh I found ppl from the uk lool ...am a newbie to this ..but need to lose like 6 stone I know people hav a lot more to lose than me but I find it so daunting but I really want to be slim by the time I'm 21 ...so that's about a year and 3months to lose 6 stone............aHhhhhhhh!!!!
yk103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 241/241/180

Height: 5ft 2

Smile

Hi

I only joined today but am also feeling daunted by how much I need to lose. Reading through posts on here tho, the idea of small goals seems to be the way forward.

I hope your doing well so far and am hoping i will too

Sharon
Sharelle is offline   Reply With Quote