Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-12-2012, 04:05 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Unhappy Maintainers Weekly Chat November 12 - November 18

For the moment, I don't live normal hours as I rest my leg much of the day and my eyes close. I think I'm becoming a cat just napping all day, LOL.

It is odd to have so much extra time on the computer. I watch the news unfold one bit of gossip at a time. Of course, I learn no more but I know each new tidbit of the General Petraeus case as it unfolds. I'm developing an opinion about who should have done what to whom and when.

Shudder!!! Physical confinement could easily lead to mental confinement. Next thing I'll start tracking Justin Bieber and who he is or isn't dating - and I don't know Mr. Bieber from Adam, LOL.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
For the moment, I don't live normal hours as I rest my leg much of the day and my eyes close. I think I'm becoming a cat just napping all day, LOL.

It is odd to have so much extra time on the computer. I watch the news unfold one bit of gossip at a time. Of course, I learn no more but I know each new tidbit of the General Petraeus case as it unfolds. I'm developing an opinion about who should have done what to whom and when.

Shudder!!! Physical confinement could easily lead to mental confinement. Next thing I'll start tracking Justin Bieber and who he is or isn't dating - and I don't know Mr. Bieber from Adam, LOL.
I hope your leg heals quickly and well Bill. Before you go stir - LOL. My 15 year old niece could fill you in on J. Bieber's life - she went gaga when I took her to the Bata Shoe Museum to see his shoes. She knows every minute detail of his life, although she's starting to develop an interst in "older" men - Tatum Channing is a new crush.

I am same old, same old. Finished the dog sit yesterday and am trying to get caught up today in all the household stuff here. DH is still working on painting the one room at the other house - I'd forgotten what a perfectionist he can be with these things. Whoever buys the house will just tear it all down to replace the wiring anyway but hey, it's better than him sitting in front of the TV.

I dread making the to-do list for this week for myself. It keeps getting longer and I get more and more tired. And winter is coming. I don't even dare go away for a holiday due to the buzzard. His craziness is now quite a polished set of lies.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:03 AM   #3  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Good morning!

I woke up with a food hangover today. Not a good start to the week, but I am determined to make today a better day.
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Bill~I recommend you stay away from the celebrity news websites (so trashy) and stick with The Week (I love The Week). And I envy your catnaps!

MIL and FIL adopted the two polydacty kittens on Friday and we visited both Saturday and Sunday and then they brought them to our house on Sunday. They were scared of the dogs (who couldn't have cared less about them) and wanted to play with the cats. Ringo, our tuxedo cat, hissed at them and ended up hiding under DS's bed. Louie took on the job of protector and just sat and watched them play. I taught MIL how to cut their nails--Butch has 6 toes in front and 6 in back. Ernie (short for Ernest as in Hemingway), has 5 in front and I think the normal 4 in back.

During my weekly phone call to my Dad, he mentioned that he was talking to my SIL about going to visit his "girlfriend" and she said it makes more sense for him to visit either me or my sister. My Dad said something to the effect that he truly does not want to visit either of us. I don't know if he understands how that makes me and my sister feel. I'll be talking to my sister today (it was her birthday yesterday and I called, but she wasn't home).

In other news, the golf season here has begun! We didn't golf Saturday as they had the opening day tournament (and it was dreadfully cold and windy anyway). Sunday was beautiful and we have tee times for both days next weekend. Let's hope my score improves.

Went to see Skyfall Saturday at the IMAX. Great movie. Lincoln will be next weekend's movie if we can figure out how to fit it in with the golf. Critics are saying the best picture Oscar is a toss-up between Argo and Lincoln. I loved Argo.

Note to self: don't go grocery shopping without a list. I started a list and didn't refer to it before heading to the store and therefore I'm still out of vegetable oil.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Oh, Bill. I feel your pain. Your description of the minutae of life reminds me of my three plus months on bedrest with dd#1. Back in the day , there were no computers (gasp)-- we had TV, but we hadn't splurged for cable at that point. My days were so long and boring. Dh would set me up with a small cooler with food in it before he left for work and I'd crave just a phone call to break my monotony. As I was watching the General Petraeus news unfold this morning, I wondered how soon before the mistress writes a book about it-- after all, she is a biographer. Especially if she feels wronged, she is bound to write a scathing portrayal of the affair.

I didn't sleep well last night. I knew I wouldn't. On Saturday I attempted to rake the millions of leaves in my front yard that are spilling onto the neighboring yards. Within minutes, my throat was closing up, eyes pouring, etc. So, yesterday I took an Allegra D, knowing it causes insomnia but I was desperate. Yesterday I started the painting of the bathroom-- that is a laborious job that I've never attempted before-- Dagmar-- maybe you could send dh down to help me. I've got two coats done and I'm hoping to tackle the baseboards this evening-- not sure the best way to tackle them-- I read various tips online which just left me bewildered.

I'm excited to have the day off even though dh is in China. It's nice to be able to watch some morning TV, get on my computer and check 3FC's......
In a bit I'm off to bikram yoga-- then to donate blood (hope the yoga doesn't dehydrate me making my blood count low as it is usually borderline), then home to hopefully have a dishwasher repairman come and finally fix my dishwasher. Then to tackle the baseboards-- so a pretty full day ahead.

I sure wish my weight was at a better place, but I have been doing yoga almost daily and my muscles are most definitely more defined in the mirrors so I suspect that I have gained muscle, not weight. We're about to enter the busy period with holiday meals, traveling, etc. though so I wish I were at least a few pounds lighter. Dh comes home Saturday, dd #1 comes home Sunday, and dd #2 comes home next Wednesday. Dh and I are going to Napa for a night on Monday and dd will stay home with the pets. We will definitely be eating off plan there-- we have our meals planned out already! Then we have Thanksgiving-- dh always cooks for an army when it is just the four of us. Then, the Saturday after Thanksgiving, dd will be getting baptized. I facetimed with her yesterday and she told me that dh said we are throwing her a party at our house Saturday night. News to me....

I love the kitties names Allison! We visited Ernest Hemingway's house this summer and saw all of the polydactyl descendents. Very cool!

Hello and good morning to all!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #6  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Slammed with work today.

I should know by now that when I have a day at work planned out, and know exactly which project I will focus on, life will have other plans for me. So it turned out at 7 AM this morning -- as soon as I logged on, a writer in the U.K. starting messaging me, stating she was refusing to work any longer with an analyst who wasn't addressing peer review or providing her with new analytical content. So I had to arbitrate on that problem & ended up promising to take over the job with a fresh eye. More work for me & no credit, even if I do manage to extract further info from the analyst.

When did I imagine that I was going to find time to chop veggies & sautee ground turkey to make turkey chili today?
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I've just been catching up on news around the country when I saw the massive explosion in Indianapolis. Glad Jessica lives on the north side rather than the south side! How scary!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #8  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Allison, yes, it is scary! I need to go check the local news again and see if they found out what caused the explosion yet. Hopefully it wasn't something that might affect the rest of the city!

Bill, I hope your leg heals quickly!

So this weekend it was 70 degrees outside . . . and today it's snowing. Oh, Midwestern weather. My parents are coming into town for Thanksgiving this Friday -- too bad they couldn't be here when it was so nice and warm! The upside is we were able to air out the guest bedrooms while the weather was nice so they are no longer musty and stuffy.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #9  

Re weather - I am a "Dr. Pol" addict (he's a vet in Michigan who has a show) and his son said of the tornado watch they had to go through on an epi of the show

"In Michigan if you don't like the weather wait 15 minutes".

I guess you are having the same sort of stuff Jessica?

We had t shirt weather yesterday, again this morning, then morphing into rain, and it's supposed to be minus 2 tonite with wet flurries. AAIIEEEE!!! I changed up my various outer and inner clothes 6 times today - looks like the front hall closet in the back of Laffie's hatch!

I am holding at 135 lbs. - amazing considering the vandalism/stress 2 weeks ago and then the dog sit last week. I'm finding I just don't have any appetite and don't feel like doing anything but sleeping (which doesn't happen when I go to bed).

This will all change in 4 months. I can do 4 months.

Dagmar
Old 11-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #10  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I can't believe that weather models are showing another storm coming through here next week.

I want it to be snow, rather than rain.

I want to be able to discontinue the lease on that storage unit down in the Bronx, which I had to book for an entire month when it turned out that I only needed it for a few days.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:43 AM   #11  

My dad is now trying the "I'm a poor old man abandoned by his mean daughter" appproach. My cousin's wife has really stepped up to the plate on this one. She is telling him some hard truths. Today she will tell him the address book he left behind during his crime will NOT be returned.

She will attend a meeting with the doctor and both social workers and my dad tomorrow and will confront him about the axe attack on the house etc. We're hoping he shows his true face and then we can get him sent to a more secure environment.

I am still confident I can remain silent and never deal with him again. He can play poor old man to whomever he wants. My mom's death will be 20 years ago on Nov 22. I have this milestone to remind me of how badly he ripped me off should I feel myself softening.

I have made a life despite him. He has never been in any way supportive and should expect the same from me.

Dagmar
Old 11-14-2012, 07:26 AM   #12  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thanks for the kind wishes, everyone. Today I sport a new fiberglass cast. Kinda spiffy in black. With orders to put some weight on the leg as I walk using crutches. It's going well.

Good luck, Dagmar, maintaining your serenity as the saga continues. I'll hold you and your mom in my thoughts on Thanksgiving day.

Here's hoping there's no more weather in New Jersey, saef - you've had enough.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #13  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Bill, sorry to read about the busted leg. I think you're on to something with the physical inactivity = mental inactivity (or at least, unproductive mental activity). Stay sharp! Wouldn't this have been a lot of fun - sarcasm intended - if you were still at 239#? Not!

dagmar, I've run into the same problem with to-do lists - once they get to a certain point, I get paralyzed by looking at it. What I do now is keep an ongoing list, and instead of crossing things off, I just make a note of the date when I finish something. So, in order to get to the list of things I need to do, I have to first page over the stuff I've already completed. It's trivial but it seems to help. And yes, you can do 4 months. Thank goodness your cousin's wife is covering some of the buzzard aggravation. It sounds like he's going to keep creating new stories until he finds something that seems to work. Tragic for him, but that's his choice.

Ward, indeed, every day is an opportunity!

allison, saw the kitty pics on FB and I think it's the first time I ever saw the multitoes! How funny! I'm not a cat person (at all), but these little guys are something else! Older relatives are great, aren't they? My parents and grandparents have all reached the age where they have either made the decision to say everything that's on their minds, or they've lost the ability to self-censor. I'm never quite sure which it is. It's simpler to decide to be grateful that they are being completely honest, and go from there. I am deeply envious of your golfing life and vow to carve out more time for the links next year. Keep posting about how glorious and frustrating and invigorating the game is, please?

michele, boo to allergies! Hope you were able to finish the raking or pass it to someone else.

Jessica, we had a killer weekend too. Wish I hadn't been stuck on doing stuff in the house, or in the car for most of it. And this morning it was 19F!!! I am not ready for this ...

saef, I am also hoping for the "old normal" weather patterns for this winter. Michigan farmers could sure use a recovery year. Apples shouldn't be $2/pound!

My part of the bathroom is DONE, it looks great, and it's fully functional. There are a few tiny spots of paint touchup to do at a future time, and DH will finish the threshold before Thanksgiving dinner is held (he promised). Next up - doors and windows on the 26/27th. I'm trying to just keep my head down and not look too far ahead in the calendar. I'm not a fan of the "holiday season" in general. This is my first year as a choir parent/chauffeur during the major Christmas concert prep - DS joined last year in February. It boggles my mind! They have 8 concerts between Nov 19 - Dec 16, scattered all over southeast MI, with a slew of additional mandatory rehearsals. I think I'm just going to stock meal replacement bars and bottled water in the car!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #14  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Can you believe Thanksgiving is next week? When did that happen??

My parents are coming into town Friday night and staying until the Sunday after Thanksgiving. I'm taking tomorrow off to go to a dr appt and try to finish cleaning up the house. I'm tempted to just spend the whole day curled up in bed with all my warm fluffy blankets instead! Too bad my appointment is at 8:45 and it's a long drive so I can't sleep in.

Dagmar, hope your cousin's wife takes care of things.

I saw this show on Animal Planet last weekend that I thought some of you would appreciate. It's called "Too cute!" and it's basically an hour of puppies or kittens being adorable. They take like three litters of puppies and follow them from 1 week to 12 weeks old, with basically no footage of the humans at all. There's lots of slow-mo and dramatic music and the narrator making up stories about why the puppies are doing particular things. Last weekend's episode had some malamute puppies howling, which was the cutest thing ever. I think I could just watch this show for an entire day.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I just emerged from my Thanksgiving Feast to find that my dd finally got news about when her service dog will arrive! He (Owen) will arrive on December 10 and then they will do "team training" until Dec. 22 or 23. She is so excited! We will have to change our holiday plans as she was coming home mid December and then we were all flying to Houston on Dec. 24. Perhaps now dh will fly up to get her and then they will fly to Houston together-- she is nervous about flying in general and will be a nervous wreck the first time she flies with him. We have a lot to figure out but dh is in China and still asleep as the time change there is so much!

Now my challenge is to avoid the staff room until the Feast is cleaned up. I went in there to see if I could help clean up and people were still eating so I grabbed (another) cookie. Oops.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote