Old 11-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #1  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

Height: 5'2"

Default Niacin?

I've recently started taking it for cholesterol and I read online that it can help boost metabolism and fat burning when combined with B12. Does anyone else take Niacin for this?
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 196/146/135

Height: 5'5

I recall reading somewhere that if your niacin levels are too high it makes you hungry.
Clumsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:22 PM   #3  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

My doctor had me taking niacin with vitamin B to help with weight loss. I ended up buying it later and had a horrible reaction to it. I felt like I was on fire and my lips were burning. I thought I was going to die, I laid in a cold shower and my skin was tingling.

I looked it up and I read that people used to take it to help them deal with the cold in the winter and my reaction can be a side affect. I won't touch it anymore.

When I first took the kind my doctor told me to take, this didn't happen. When I bought it at the store and then took it I had the reaction. If your doctor is advising you to take it then try it.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:23 AM   #4  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieM View Post
My doctor had me taking niacin with vitamin B to help with weight loss. I ended up buying it later and had a horrible reaction to it. I felt like I was on fire and my lips were burning. I thought I was going to die, I laid in a cold shower and my skin was tingling.

I looked it up and I read that people used to take it to help them deal with the cold in the winter and my reaction can be a side affect. I won't touch it anymore.

When I first took the kind my doctor told me to take, this didn't happen. When I bought it at the store and then took it I had the reaction. If your doctor is advising you to take it then try it.
Niacin can cause a "flushing" reaction in people... But it is available in a "non flush" form...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #5  
Fear does not = fate

S/C/G: 295/140/nogoal :)

Height: 5'2"

I get the non flush kind, I have no idea if it actually works or not. But the lbs are dropping
owlsteazombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:13 PM   #6  

I've read that the non flushing type niacin is not as effective and may be harmful to your liver. I've been taking the flushing niacin for several months and it has helped. My cholesterol did go down a little, but I haven't had it checked recently. My blood pressure is lower, too. But it could be from eating better, too. I think it has increased my circulation. My hands were falling asleep at night, but that has stopped. I did turn red when I started using it. If you take it with a meal and start at a low dose like 50 mg, it will help prevent the flushing. I like the flush. It makes me feel like its working.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote