Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 11-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #1  
5lbs fat vs 5 lbs muscle

Height: 5'6

Default Introduction Hello there!

Hello Guys,

I've been a member here for a while back and forth and commented on a few posts but I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm mrsdawsondn and I've come to the conclusion to bear down and get serious about my life and weight in 2005 and 2006. I reached my all time high in 2005 of 280 and started weight watchers and got down to 250. Stopped weight watchers and went up to 305 and was diagnosed in the prediabetic stage of my weight although I'd always been healthy even overweight. Never had any issues with high blood pressure, cholestoral, or any other weight related diseases. I was diagnosed with hypothyroid after I had my son in 2000 and my weight was on a steady climb no matter what I did.. Well diabetes is heavily run in my fathers side of the family and having to care for a diabetic grandmother pretty my scared the mess out of me when I got the warning about prediabetic stages so I began to work out. I ran I journal-ed, I weighed, measured inches, and I found the balance between what works for me and what doesn't, i lost 85 lbs and got down to 238. In 2007 I lost my job it was outsourced overseas and the ministry that I was a part of in church had issues so of course i turned to my only comfort...food. over the process of becoming disgusted with myself and kicking into gear, and falling off of the wagon with every diet known to may I yoyo-ed my way up to 340lbs. As of July of 2011 I couldn't take it anymore....I prayed really hard about it and said I was gonna get lapband surgery. I teeter tottered with this as I always felt like getting the surgery was giving up but in the greater scope of things yoyoing up and down was like giving up too. In November of 2011 I went to a seminar for WLS and found out about my options. Met with the doctor and dietician and we placed the order with my health insurance for the surgery. Then the doctor was urging the sleeve instead of the lapband but I was dead set. The health insurance provider ordered me to get on a 6 month supervised diet before approving me for surgery. I went to a personal trainer as well as did the supervised diet and instead of losing weight I began gaining (the beautiful cycle of hypothyroid). After 6 months I have been approved and had to get down to 315 lbs to get my presurgery date, That was in June of 2012. I haved been struggling to get this weight down to 315 but as of last week I really had my come to Jesus moment and as well my best friend had the sleeve back in september and getting an eye witness account of her highs lows struggles and dedication to the process made it all real for me and see the post surgery life actually had me a little nervous but after more prayer I'm ready. My weight is down to 319 right now (thank God) and I have 5 more lbs to lose to schedule surgery and do the pre-op diet. I came here for support, inspiration, and community. I'm tired of the cycle and the yoyo and the struggles associated with this disease Obesity and I'm ready to do the right thing and get off of the roller coaster for good.

Thanks for your ears guys. Please feel free to introduce yourselves..
MrsDawsondn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

Wow MrsD! you've really been through the wringer, haven't you? Did you decide on the lapband or the sleeve? And what sorts of issues has your friend been dealing with?

As for getting off the roller coaster - AMEN!!!!! glad to have you with us!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #3  
5lbs fat vs 5 lbs muscle

Height: 5'6

hi Jiffy,

I've decided on the sleeve and my friends is coming along very nicely but I do see how strict she has to eat to maintain comfort and successful. She had the sleeve n Sept 5th and her weight is gradually coming off well and she measures her foods eats no sugar, no caffeine, no soda, no fried foods and does well. She is an inspiration to me. My losing for the presurgery weight is trucking along. I got down to 319 and then TOM has shown up so I'm holding steady at 320. I need 5 more lbs to make weight and I'm doing well walking drinking more water than I have all year (effort wise) so I'm pretty excited about it.
MrsDawsondn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #4  
Old Cackler

you're doing GREAT - and these good habits that you're developing NOW will only help you after surgery. just a heads up, though - many of us had some emotional issues come up post-op that took us by surprise. And since we can no longer eat our emotions, we have to figure out how to deal with them. AND IT'S THE HARDEST THING about the surgery [IMO, that is].

still a work in progress - 10+ years post-op!
Old 11-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #5  
Old Cackler

good heavens! i can't believe it's been more than 10 years!
Old 11-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #6  

MrsD, I'm so excited you discovered what you wanted and you're pursuing it. Maybe we'll get sleeved around the same time and we can start and share our journey with each other! 5 more lbs for you! yay!
Merissa2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:43 AM   #7  
Work In Progress

S/C/G: 355/199/180

Height: 5'6''

Congrats to you for almost being at goal for your surgery!
I had the sleeve done in July of 2011 and, as of my weigh in yesterday, I'm down 156 pounds to 199. Since you have a friend who's done it I don't need to tell you what to expect but I wanted to let you know that it gets easier. I always say the biggest change has to come between the ears and not between the lips. Sounds like you already have that part down! Best of luck to you!
NYCKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote