Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 11-05-2012, 04:20 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat November 5 - November 11

I am so happy that Halloween is over.

Yesterday I brought the remaining 4.5 pounds from my 5 pounds of candy to an event where it was gobbled by folks who hadn't already gorged on the stuff. And I never had a single 'fun-sized' bar - none, nada, zero. A good show for me to begin the eating season.

Only Thanksgiving, a wedding, Christmas, and New Years left to complete the year, LOL.

Now could use upping my exercise a notch; need more cardio. DW can read while she works the elliptical - perhaps I can learn to do that.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Good morning all! I think I finally have things under control enough at my other house that I can start thinking about what I'm eating again. I'm up 1.8 lbs. since I last weighed myself in October so that's not bad.

Bill Good job with the Halloween candy! I did not fare as well . I can't imagine doing anything on an elliptical except maybe watching TV - tried one at a client's house.

My prime job today (aside from the dogs) is to get the buzzard's (formerly known as my father) transfer started. He actually called my cousin yesterday and agreed to it.

Hope everyone is adjusting well to daylight savings. Mudpie is not so neither am I - we were up at 3:20.

Good week all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:10 AM   #3  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

Good morning Bill and Dagmar. I stayed in bed until my alarm went off, but my son was up at 5. I guess it's better than yesterday, when he got up at 4:30. I hate time changes.
WardHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #4  
Chuggin' along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
Only Thanksgiving, a wedding, Christmas, and New Years left to complete the year, LOL.
"Only", right? 'Tis the season. *sigh* I weighed myself Friday to discover that I haven't gained weight. I've maintained. I've been eating some sweets at work as lots of people have been bringing in baked goods and my resistance is nil, but I guess I'm too busy and tired to eat at night. And I have successfully stayed away from the Halloween candy. Anyway chaos will reign supreme this week, etc etc. Opening night for the play is Friday night so we have rehearsal every night this week, and starting Wednesday through the weekend I have an intensive sampling campaign beginning at work. Not my choice to schedule life like this. My focus will actually be getting enough sleep. I have to drive about 4 hours each day and when I do this I get so tired it can by scary.

Falling back made it much easier for me to get up today. I've really been struggling to wake up in the dark. Finding out I had an "extra" hour to walk the dog yesterday morning before I had to head to the theatre to supervise set building felt like a little gift. Of course yes, the dog is going to be ready to go a little earlier too.

Dagmar, GREAT job staying in control w your dad!!!

Bill, way to stay away from the candy! I read on the elliptical and actually look forward to it. I let myself read more "fluff" at the gym only, and it keeps me on the machines longer. It is helpful to have a book reader stand to help keep pages open, or there are clips they make that help clip pages open so you don't have to keep your hand on it constantly.

Have a good week everyone.

Last edited by Megan1982; 11-05-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:22 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

dagmar, it will be a couple of weeks before my body is ready to accept the time change.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:28 AM   #6  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

My dilemma this week: I have a half tank of gas left, because fortunately, I filled it before the hurricane.

For several days now, I have been driving around and through the lengthy lines for gas, trying to run errands without getting caught in the traffic jams that they are causing. Waiting an hour or more is not uncommon. And sometimes by the time you get near the pumps, they run out and have to close.

On Sunday, there was a line of people waiting with gas cans at the Mobil and people walking down the street lugging cans to God knows where.

Usually, I could arrange to work from home all week, but unfortunately, I have to drive into Connecticut for two consecutive days to interview two job candidates.

By Wednesday, I need to find a gas station that is open and isn't out of fuel, and wait in line to refill the tank. I am thinking maybe that's what I'll do on my lunch hour in Connecticut -- where residents are developing a hatred of cars with out-of-state plates who are coming from NY & NJ to fill their tanks and recreating the gas lines that exist in the places from which they're fleeing.

We are living in a very weird time down here.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:36 AM   #7  

Saef, I have a Keurig coffee brewer and get my coffee mailed to me. I got an email from them , their main distribution plant is right in the area of the worst flooding, shipping may be delayed. Really, I don't mind sitting here dry and safe in California. I also got an email from WebMD they have over 700 employees that are affected by the flooding.
My suggestion to those people in Connecticut who are annoyed by gas lines....ADJUST !!!!
Old 11-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'm trying to get the animals used to the time change. It felt wonderful to wake up this morning at 3 AM knowing I could "sleep in" until 5 AM (the former 6 AM). The dogs appreciate that it is light out and they can romp in the yard for a while before going in to work. The orange cat will take some time, though. He started bothering us at 3:30 and didn't quite take the hint that we weren't getting up.

I can only imagine the difficulty with gas lines in the storm ravaged area. It is important to keep your tank full when anticipating disaster, but once it's over, it's impossible to keep it full. My new car, while not the best on gas mileage, has a larger tank and I can go 2 to 2 1/2 weeks between fill-ups. My old car required weekly fill-ups. I prefer this although I don't like the price tag--my last fill up was over $80. Thankfully gas prices have gone down since then!

I'm taking Chico to the vet this afternoon. It's been 6 months since his amputation. Keep your fingers crossed that his white count is better this month.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #9  

Allison, good luck with Chico's exam m hope it is all good news. I went to a pet fair Saturday. There was a beautiful little boy there, a poodle in a wheelchair. He doesn't seem hindered by it all.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Allison, good luck with Chico's exam m hope it is all good news. I went to a pet fair Saturday. There was a beautiful little boy there, a poodle in a wheelchair. He doesn't seem hindered by it all.
As long as their bowel/bladder function is not affected most dogs will adjust readily to "wheels". Most dogs adjust to just about anything, as long as their handlers are confident with them and inspire confidence in their dogs.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
As long as their bowel/bladder function is not affected most dogs will adjust readily to "wheels". Most dogs adjust to just about anything, as long as their handlers are confident with them and inspire confidence in their dogs.

Dagmar
I did hear someplace that dogs are not like us , in the event of an amputation for instance, they will wake up notice something is different and will figure out how to make it work.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #12  

Quote:
I did hear someplace that dogs are not like us , in the event of an amputation for instance, they will wake up notice something is different and will figure out how to make it work.
That is exactly how my vet explained it. I know Chico has adapted quite well. Interestingly, he does better when running or trotting that with walking more slowly. At first he was unable to get himself up off the floor if he was laying on the amputated side, so we'd have to help him. He's learned how to do it himself now. He does slip and fall more easily, though.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #13  

Weight still holding this AM. Just got out of the shower as soon as my hair dries I am going to go vote. I still like to go to the polls to cast my vote. I hope everybody that is eligible to vote does so..After voting off to shopping.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Weight still holding this AM. Just got out of the shower as soon as my hair dries I am going to go vote. I still like to go to the polls to cast my vote. I hope everybody that is eligible to vote does so..After voting off to shopping.
Voting is happening in "my" library. I got to school before 7 and there are lines here. Many older volunteers who seem a little stumped by the technology-- the lines are barely moving-- they have some incessant beeping that they can't figure out how to turn off...... going to be a long day for me.

I vote absentee-- it's an option in California-- I love it..... can't wait for the results tonight.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #15  

Quote:
I vote absentee-- it's an option in California-- I love it..... can't wait for the results tonight.
Me, too. A couple weekends ago, DD was home from college and she and I poured over the voter pamphlet. She voted, then I voted, then DH voted a week later. It was nice to be able to do it on my own time without feeling the pressure of people in line waiting for my spot in the booth.

Ugh. I have a "My Yahoo!" page and on it I get a daily recipe from Epicurious. Often they don't appeal to me, but today's Linguine with Clam Sauce was intriguing--until I read the ingredients which included "1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon of olive oil." Can you even imagine how greasy that would be? Gross.