PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:57 PM   #1  

Default Help please

Hi,
I was diagnosed with PCOS after rapid weight gain (I wasn't eating very badly at all!) and irregular periods. Despite the fact that I have lost weight over the past year , I have now not had a period in 7 months - which is one of my longest periods (pardon the pun) of time without menstruation. I try to go to the gym at least 3 times a week, and have been doing so for a year, which includes cardio and strength training. As for my diet, it is very strict and I only allow myself a treat every now and again. An everyday diet consists of cereal such as allbran, hummus and vegetables for lunch, for dinner such things as chicken/fish/quorn/paella/macaroni cheese/quinoa with yet more vegetables and usually a small serving of new potatoes. I usually have a yoghurt and a few pieces of fruit around the day (sometimes a sweet or savoury snack is sneaked into my daily diet!)

I try to limit carbs (I do not eat bread, as I do not like it) and try to eat only wholegrain pasta and rice when possible - however this is not always feasible as shops here are extremely limited.

What suggestions do you have? Do I stay patient and accept that weight loss will be slow - however worth it in the end. Or do I try to alter my diet yet again and consult a doctor? I am not sure if I want to go on BCP, due to the fact I do not want to gain weight again. I would also not like to be on any medication such as metformin which could result in side effects.

Are there any safe supplements that could assist in helping PCOS or should I just consult my doctor about vitamins and supplements?

Thanks.
katielauren2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #2  
Designing my new physique

S/C/G: 316

Height: 5'7.5

Wow, you don't. Sound textbook. Usually pcos women crave and generally give into garbage food choices. The other suffers I have known and including myself. Your activity level even sounds good. Have you had your labs drawn? Maybe there could be a slight elevation in your progesterone? As far as vitamins go when I was younger planned parenthood gave e a pill that forced my shedding along. I bled about 13 days but that buildup can be dangerous, you should see if a clinic can prescribe you something to push it along. Maybe seeing a diatician as well. You might be too healthy, that sounds off base but you might be getting some wrong items that your body isn't breaking down correctly? I'm sorry I can't be better assistance. I so understand your frustration.
avalonmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by katielauren2001 View Post
Hi,
I was diagnosed with PCOS after rapid weight gain (I wasn't eating very badly at all!) and irregular periods. Despite the fact that I have lost weight over the past year , I have now not had a period in 7 months - which is one of my longest periods (pardon the pun) of time without menstruation. I try to go to the gym at least 3 times a week, and have been doing so for a year, which includes cardio and strength training. As for my diet, it is very strict and I only allow myself a treat every now and again. An everyday diet consists of cereal such as allbran, hummus and vegetables for lunch, for dinner such things as chicken/fish/quorn/paella/macaroni cheese/quinoa with yet more vegetables and usually a small serving of new potatoes. I usually have a yoghurt and a few pieces of fruit around the day (sometimes a sweet or savoury snack is sneaked into my daily diet!)

I try to limit carbs (I do not eat bread, as I do not like it) and try to eat only wholegrain pasta and rice when possible - however this is not always feasible as shops here are extremely limited.

What suggestions do you have? Do I stay patient and accept that weight loss will be slow - however worth it in the end. Or do I try to alter my diet yet again and consult a doctor? I am not sure if I want to go on BCP, due to the fact I do not want to gain weight again. I would also not like to be on any medication such as metformin which could result in side effects.

Are there any safe supplements that could assist in helping PCOS or should I just consult my doctor about vitamins and supplements?

Thanks.
Hi KatieLauren,

It doesn't sound like you have a low-carb diet at all. How many grams of carbs are you consuming a day? Are you keeping track in a food diary like MyFitnessPal or Fitday?

When my diet is high in carbs -- above 150 grams consistently -- my period is slower to arrive. If it's super-low carb (for me) under 100 grams per day for a period of time, it comes a lot faster.

Even if you're no longer eating junk, you may still be eating too many carbs. I love legumes like chickpeas (like in that hummus) and I had to give a lot of them up with my brown rice in order to get the carbs down. So, I fill in with tons of veggies and lean protein now and it's helped me maintain (I'm in maintenance at this moment) without going crazy or feeling hungry or deprived.

You may want to see a doctor anyway, but I would try to go lower carb -- eliminate the pasta and rice (even if it's "whole grains") altogether and just focus on lean protein and veggies and see if that helps. If you're vegetarian, focus on getting that lean protein without upping your carbs too much.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 212/199/135

Height: 5 ft 2.5 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana View Post
Hi KatieLauren,

It doesn't sound like you have a low-carb diet at all. How many grams of carbs are you consuming a day? Are you keeping track in a food diary like MyFitnessPal or Fitday?

When my diet is high in carbs -- above 150 grams consistently -- my period is slower to arrive. If it's super-low carb (for me) under 100 grams per day for a period of time, it comes a lot faster.

Even if you're no longer eating junk, you may still be eating too many carbs. I love legumes like chickpeas (like in that hummus) and I had to give a lot of them up with my brown rice in order to get the carbs down. So, I fill in with tons of veggies and lean protein now and it's helped me maintain (I'm in maintenance at this moment) without going crazy or feeling hungry or deprived.

You may want to see a doctor anyway, but I would try to go lower carb -- eliminate the pasta and rice (even if it's "whole grains") altogether and just focus on lean protein and veggies and see if that helps. If you're vegetarian, focus on getting that lean protein without upping your carbs too much.
I second this. It seems that you are still eating a great deal of carbs with the cereal, the hummus, the quinoa, the brown rice, and marconi and cheese. While things like quinoa and hummus are 'the good type" of carbs, are wonderful for you (and so delicious might I add) they are still carbs non the less. I would try counting your carb intake daily and really try to keep it under 100 grams at most a day. Also, I know that dairy isn't great for us PCOS girls. I would advise cutting out dairy all together or limiting it to 1 to 2 servings a week and see how that helps. If you do plan to cut dairy I would also look into taking a calcium supplement to make sure you are getting your daily needed calcium.
I know how frustrated you must feel right now it is not easy having PCOS.
Good luck to you! Let us know what you choose to do and how it works out!
heartinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote