Old 10-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 327/239.6/199

Height: 5'5"

Default Perimenopause & weight loss & missed period

I need advice from the 40 somethings on here. I am 45. I've lose 75 pounds and have been having more difficult periods the last couple years - very heavy - alternating between 21 days and 31 days.

Well now I'm at 38 days and no period. I did a pregnancy test last night (scared to death although I was pretty sure I wasn't) and it was negative (Thanks you GOD!)

Has anyone else started missing periods this young? My husband thinks it's because I'm losing weight but I'm losing very, very slowly so no sudden changes.
Unicorn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

Hi, Unicorn67,
Abdominal fat stores estrogen (at least one of the different forms of estrogen that exist in your body). Fat cells also release different other hormones. When you loose from that area of your body, you are likely going to change your hormonal balance temporarily. 45 is also a normal time for natural hormonal changes. So, diet may simply enhance those changes. I do not know what type of diet you are using, but I am on low carb, your age group and have observed changes in my period during my diet so far. Some weeks have been one crazy PMS phase others were normal. And I am a very slow looser as well. But I lost a lot of inches due to exercise, particularly in the abdominal region. I found my cycle became normal again after I reached a 3 months plateau in my loss. Maybe my body needed time to adjust. It may be a good time to have your hormones tested. If there is an imbalance (estrogen/progesterone), taking some natural products or cream may help. But I would discuss it with your doctor.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 286/247/150

Height: 5-4

40 years old her... and I've noticed that my TOM is lighter now.

If you use hormone based birth control use condoms as a back up.... the hormones you release during weight loss can cause them to stop working.

Last edited by drixnot; 10-30-2012 at 03:33 PM.
drixnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #4  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

Hi 49 here, still pretty reg. but definitely not the same, I seem to have one really rough day, maybe not even a whole day, but pretty miserable, sore, then once that passes it's fine. I have actually found that changing my diet and exercising has relieved my PMS symptoms, I don't really have that "warning" TOM is coming like I used to. which is good.

My sister in law had symptoms like you're describing, shorter times between and then longer, when she thought it was over it wasn't, just a long stretch between, she hasn't been on any weight loss program, so I guess the take away is that everyone's different...

I've heard (probably legend or old wives' tale, not fond of that term as I get older...lol) that when you start "the change" is related to when you started having your period, my mom was young for both, I was older when I started and am just starting to have "warm" flashes...

kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:39 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/147/150

Height: 5'9"

I am 46 yrs old and have lost a total of 47 lbs since beginning of June. I have missed the last two periods - so was wondering if it was the weight loss as well or just that time in my life - either way, hope they don't start again :-)
falzacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/185?

Height: 5'6"

I haven't been on my program long enough to see if it's effected my cycle. Last time I lost a lot of weight, I did have lighter & easier TOM for the most part. I'm hoping this time, the same thing will happen.
I, too, am ready for the change. I'm tired of it...I started having cycles when I was ELEVEN & I'll be 48 in 8 days. My cycles have been ultra-regular & accompanied with UGLY cramps/PMS. UGH!!!

If you are in doubt, I'd suggest talking to your doctor. I'd hate for there to be something wrong & it not be attended to. Your health is far too important. Best of luck & let us know how it goes. Who knows, maybe others of us women might have the same issue down the road. Thanks!!
MrsTryingAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:31 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

I seem to be having the opposite happen. I am 46, I hadn't had a period in 6 months, thought finally I wouldn't have to deal with that. Then I started dieting, after three weeks of dieting I get my period. I think my body thought it had to make up for the past 6 months. Now it is once again every 26 days like clock work. It is MUCH heavier, but I have had little to no cramping or cravings and very little bloating. But I think I may have to recalculate the family budget to buy tampons.
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 291/216/146

Height: 5'7"

Not much to contribute to this conversation since I had a uterine ablasion at 36 due to SUPER heavy, painful, and frequent periods. This completely stoped my periods (yeah!) and a hysterectomy at 42 due to fibroids. For many months after the hysterectomy I still had all the side-effects of PMS since they left my ovaries and they were still producing estrogen.

I would say that if you are still experiencing PMS and then NOT getting your period you are likely heading into menopause.

It takes a little getting used, to but in the end, it is GREAT not to have to deal with mother nature every month. Not to mention the added bonus of not having to buy the expensive products that go along with her monthly visits.
syndehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #9  
Keeping it real!

S/C/G: 40/31/30 waist inches!

Height: 5' 4"

Hey all - 45 here. I started getting VERY heavy periods at around 38 and actually started menopause at that time. My mom was very early also - finished by 40. Anyway, I also got the ablasion at 42 and I have to say if I every had another period I would totally freak out! My coach told me I might spot when I started the diet because of the hormones, that might have been a deal breaker for me so I'm glad it didn't happen. I do think I experienced PMS though ... or I was just plain b!tchy, don't know for sure
healthyangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #10  
Keeping it real!

LOL - I'm only 44! Geez .... It really sucks when you get older and forget just how old you are
Old 11-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #11  

Thanks everyone.. I'm not worried too much yet. Was only worried about the possibility of being pregnant. My mom had my last sibling well into her 40's and I have no intention of doing that! I have never had terrible PMS (husband may disagree!) but have always had heavy periods and cramping so won't be at all sad to see it go. I did have some pains around the time I was expecting TOM to start but then nothing. Although I haven't had a big drop in weight lately, I have lost some more inches around my belly so maybe what Lolo said about the estrogen is having an effect. If I don't get a period in the next month or so I'll probably go see the dr.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #12  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

HealthyAngie...lol....I've done that sooo many times...it's great not to have the age hangup, I won't forget for a little while I think now though, tomorrow I'm 5-0!
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #13  
Keeping it real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelijpa View Post
HealthyAngie...lol....I've done that sooo many times...it's great not to have the age hangup, I won't forget for a little while I think now though, tomorrow I'm 5-0!
LOL!!! Happy Birthday

I hate when I end in a "9" like 29, 39, etc. Cause everyone thinks you're lying!!!
Old 11-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #14  
to a Healthier Me

Belated Happy Birthday kelijpa~

Unicorn, I have a friend and a cousin that both started menopause when they hit 40. I also have some friends in their mid 50's that haven't even started peri yet.
Coasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #15  

I did the age thing the other day too. Guy from the bank called to renew some investments and he said "we have your age as 45 right". And I paused, and said "I think it's 46, no never mind you're right it is 45." He laughed for a long time!