Old 09-23-2010, 10:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 174/167/145

Height: 5'8

Default good, inexpensive dehydrator?

Hi!
I've been thinking about getting a dehydrator, I've been really getting into raw foods, and I would love to have one for living bread, crackers, kale chips, banana chips, etc.
But Im not working (I sotra have a job, but I need to fill out some tax credit online that isn't working, but as soon as that's done, I'll be earning minimum wage), and my parents dont have the money to spend on one-
is there any inexpensive ones for less than $75 that work well (well enough for a teenager who will get a new one when she's older and has the money)

thanks for any suggestiongs!
MeganTheMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:16 PM   #2  

Height: 5'6"

Nesco seems to be the way to go for an inexpensive dehydrator that will last ages. I'd go with this one, and it has free shipping through Amazon!

http://www.amazon.com/Nesco-American...5366521&sr=8-2
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:10 AM   #3  
RawFoodie Maintainer :)

Height: 5'5

Hmm, not so much in that price range, but I have a 9 tray Excalibur dehydrator for about $200 and I can tell you besides a Vitamix blender, that was the best purchase ever. Absolutely worth the money if you decide saving up for it!

Home made kale chips and dried fruits are astonishingly yummy. And all kinds of other dishes like nut burger patties, banana 'pancakes', veggie wraps, stuffed mushrooms, bloomed wild rice and what not are AMAZING

Good luck searching and saving and getting things with your job in order!!
InspiredBy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Best super-budget tip for acquiring a dehydrator or just about any kitchen gadget you can think of:

Freecycle groups, Craig's list, thrift stores (use the standard sensible precautions of course when meeting up with strangers to exchange stuff, like meeting in a public place or take a friend - in freecycle groups many folks don't even meet face to face for the exchange - leaving the item in front of their apartment door or on their porch).

Freecycle is the cheapest ('cause it has to be free to be offered or requested on the freecycle boards).

I understand if the idea of using an item someone else has used bothers you, but that's not necessarily a big deterrent.

I've seen more "obviously never been used, not even once" dehydrators in thrift stores than even "might have been used once, I can't tell" ones. And I've never seen a dehydrator that looked like it had been used.

I think if it's been used, more people throw it away or give it to friends (or keep it thinking they might use it again).

I've found this especially true with kitchen gadgets. Often you'll find more brand-new-never-been-used items in the kitchen gadget section of Goodwill and other thrift stores than items that look like they have been or might possibly have been used items.

This is also prime dehydrator season in the thrift stores. For some reason dehydrators seem to crop up in the stores more often in the fall (or maybe it's just when they stay on the shelves long enough for me to see them).

I love my dehydrator, but I've used it for making jerky so much that the soysauce/liquid smoke marinade has permeated the motor (the part you can't clean), so I only use it for jerky. I've considered getting another to use for fruit and vegetables, so I'm always looking for them in the spring and summer (and never find them). Late fall and winter they start showing up in the thrift stores and I talk myself out of buying them (or hubby does) because of the storage issue (Do I really need another large kitchen gadget taking up space in my pantry).

Hubby (or my inner critic) always asks "well how often are you going to want to dry fruits and veggies,"

... and I say "I'm not sure whether or not I'll use it much until I have one."

... and the critic says, "well why don't you buy it AFTER you decide you need it?"

And I end up putting it off until I feel I need one, then they're none around in my price range.... and when I do find them in my price range, I'm not sure if I really need it, and the cycle continues.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

freecycle is a great idea, I got my crockpot that way as well as some other items. I will use it again when I need/want something, I have also used it to give things away.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote