Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-28-2012, 02:01 PM   #1  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Default How I know I'm a pig

Does anyone else here enjoy Jim Gaffigan's stand up? I know I do, especially his food bits. There's one in "Beyond the Pale" where he says something along the lines of:

"You know you're a pig when you eat something that tastes horrible but you don't notice until the laste bite - then you have to eat something else just to get the taste out!"

Anyway, this is how I know I'm a pig because the other day I ate a lean cousine that I hadn't tried before (a veggie egg roll with rice). I was SO hungry that I ate the whole thing, but after I was finished I realized that it tasted terrible. I then promptly went back into the kitchen and got something else to eat! It wasn't really a big deal because I still stayed within my calorie limit for the day, but it made me laugh at myself and I thought I'd share.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:32 PM   #2  
lilmomma2011

I guess I have also done it a time or two (or three)!!!!
bigprettymomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

LOL! We sure do some odd things, don't we.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #4  

Height: 5'6"

Yup, done that before, among other piggy things, luckily those moments are rare now.
Natlyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

Love Jim Gaffigan!! That made me laugh!
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #6  
Optimistic cynic

S/C/G: 220/209/180

Height: 5'3"

I went to a Jim Gaffigan show a couple of years ago and laughed my a** off for 90 minutes. Love him.

And yes, I've done that too. One of the rules I've instituted over the past year or so that has been helpful is to not eat anything that doesn't taste great. Just tonight, I tried some mini cheeseburgers from Target and they were mediocre, so I tossed them after one bite.
Steph7409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm definitely a pig then, but it's a piggishness that is helping me with weight loss (when I use it correctly).

When it comes to food, I have a strong need for novelty and adventure. I've often joked that I'd much rather eat something that tastes HORRIBLE than be bored with food I've had a thousand times before, even if I like it. For me Interesting always trumps boring, even if interesting means "OMG, this is the nastiest thing I've ever eaten... hey give me another bite and let me see if the second bite is as nasty as the first... OMG it is... well, maybe just one more bite to be sure."

The food-adventuring serves me well, when I'm trying new fruits and vegetables, because I'm willing to give strange foods three or even more tries before deciding I hate them and will never eat them again (there are very few foods I've found so nasty tasting I wasn't willing to give them a go again at a later date to see if my tastebuds had changed).

I always have been a food-adventurer, but only in the last ten years (with hubby, fellow food-adventurer) have I gone out of my way to find the most strange and exotic foods possible (probably courtesy of our favorite Travel Channel food-adventure travel shows featuring Andrew Zimmern and Anthony Borrdain - which we now watch on netflix as we don't get cable anymore).

I don't know if I'd ever eat Durian (the fruit that supposedly smells like rotted cheese or very stinky foot and underarm BO), or Balut (boiled eggs containing chicken or duck embryos), but there's not much I wouldn't try (I'm not sure I could do insects either, unless they were completely disguised. I've seen ant egg omelettes and that wouldn't be a problem at all, because the texture and appearance doesn't scream BUG, but anything that still looked like a bug, I think I'd have problems with).

I find it kind of fun to eat foods I've hated in the past because it's always a gamble, I never know if I'm going to get

Hey, this actually tastes pretty good, I wonder why I didn't like it before?

Hey, this doesn't taste nearly as bad as I remember it, but geez it still tastes pretty bad.

Hey, this tastes just as bad as I remember it, Geez why did I put that in my mouth, What have you got to wash the taste out?

or Hey, this tastes even worse than I remember it, Geez why did I put that horrible thing in my mouth. Give me something to wash the taste out, anything, anything at all - it can't be worse than this! These foods remind me of a dog we had (when after he got into the garbage and wasn't feeling well we called the vet who suggested we give him pepto-bismol, but outside in case he vomited), and after we gave the dog the Pepto he ran around the pateo, wiping his tongue on the concrete.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote