Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

Default Halloween

Sorry to start a new thread--I can't find the old one.

We're having a party this weekend, and I've been thinking of buying some bite-sized candy bars for it. The theme is Childhood Halloween, so it really fits. But thinking about it / going down that aisle has really got me on edge! Normally I completely avoid that, to avoid that craving cycle described in The End of Overeating. Last night I had to come home and Google up some images of bodies that look like mine, when I am overweight, to remind myself what's at stake.

Grrr. I need to go back to focusing on all the fun, OTHER parts of Halloween, like Mimsy mentioned in the other thread--costumes, hay rides, parties, decor!
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #2  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

Instead of getting candy for your party buy some fruits and veggies. Grapes and other easy to eat fruits are better for EVERYONE!! Veggies are always popular to munch on at parties. Leave the candy in the store. No one needs it.
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

I agree with NEMom. Bring something healthy. You could google halloween snacks or something similar, there are many idea out there to make regular healthy food (not candy) to look like some kind of "scary" treat.

Another thing that comes to mind is...when I was a kid we used to bob for apples, but it was messy and the germ factor just makes me go ewwww! When my kids were little I had a halloween party and instead of bobbing for apples, I cored them with an apple corer, then looped a string through the hole, hung the apples in a door way (or acroos a wire or clothes line) with out using your hands you have to chew the apple off the string.

Healthy snack and fun game in one!
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #4  

Height: 5'0"

I love that hanging apple game idea! Awesome!
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 350/296/125

Height: 177cm

Have you thought of making your own halloween treats? That way you can see what's going in the treat (woah, there's a cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of butter in these homemade brownies?...better just have 1!) or you can make your own healthy versions of the treat (woah, there's only 1/2 cup of Splenda and 1/2 cup of applesauce in this brownies? I can have 2!)

That's what I would do. I also make sure to tell people I'm hanging out with, if we're close enough, that I'm trying to eat healthy so there will be healthy treats offered at the get together and they are welcome to bring their own. If you feel those treats are triggering, don't bring them in your house! You're self-sabotaging! Good luck. Halloween and Easter are the two worst holidays for being candy-centered.
Skellig19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:52 PM   #6  
ADL

S/C/G: 175/169/140

Height: 5"7

I'm trying to get into the holiday by thinking about my costume, decorations, all my favorite ghost stories and being with friends. I'm planning on munching on a few apples and maybe having a Sam Adams Oktoberfest beer with dinner but I agree it is soooo tough when everyone else is enjoying themselves and eating what they want.
ADL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:29 AM   #7  

Well, the party went well, and I stayed on plan. (I traded dinner for drinks--not so bad, for one night.) Someone brought one of those giant chocolate chip cookies--my kryptonite--but happily, hubby took it to his friends at Subway first thing the next morning!

It just occurred to me, though, because of the storm, I may not be able to get back out to the 'burbs Wednesday to hand out candy. So I just might be in NYC to go to the parade. AND, if I do, for once, I am going to buy one of those sexy costumes! I always thought it was silly, and trying too hard, but I have to admit, one year I tried on the Marie Antoinette costume, and was embarrassed I only fit in the plus size one. What a hoot, and a nice little reward. :-) I think I'll get the candy corn one.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:22 PM   #8  
FatBurningQueen

S/C/G: 230/224/160

Height: 5'11

Well done on surviving the party.

Those victories might sound petty to those who don't know what its like, but it sounds like you this was a big occasion for you and one you passed with flying colours - sounds like you had lots of fun too!

Yay for willpower!

Geraldine
xx
GeraldineHearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:24 PM   #9  

Happy Halloween, everyone!! Hope it's a great one!!