Old 10-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 188/188/150

Height: 5'4

Default How many of you 30 somethings are doing Zumba???

I'm a 31 yr old stay at home mom and considering getting into the Zumba scene. Are any of you guys doing this and if so have you seen results? Do you like it? I love to dance, have fun. I used to run and walk SO BORING! I need something to keep me interested!! Any thoughts or advice?
Bean517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/155

Height: 5'10"

I'm also 31 and started doing Zumba this year. I heard so much good things about it and when I found out they had classes at the local gym, I joined. I was really self conscious at first because I CANNOT dance and I didn't wanna be the fattest/oldest person in there. Thankfully, I was neither. It was just a bunch of normal women (some with AMAZING bodies and some more like me) and maybe a guy or two. The worst part about being in that class were the mirrors!! They had mirrors on 3 of the 4 walls. The 4th wall? Yeah, that was a huge window. I made the mistake of wearing a purple t-shirt to class. About 20 minutes into it, I looked into one of the mirrors, and I swear to god, for the first 5 seconds thought I was looking at Grimace from McDonald's dancing. It took a bit for me to realize it was me, and I have never worn that shirt again LOL

It's a pretty high energy/intense workout. Good music, a high energy instructor. I'm an awkward dancer so there were a few moves I had to stop and stare at before I could try it out. I was the girl in the back of the class yelling "Oh god! Hold on! Give me a minute!" It really took the wind out of me. I sweat A LOT in that class. It's like dancing in a club for every single song with no alcohol and no dudes sneaking up behind you for some grind action. I was going religiously for a couple of months, but eventually I stopped. And it wasn't because I hated it; I just didn't have the drive. I wasn't losing as fast as I thought I would and I just completely gave up. (I didn't realize I wasn't losing because I was still eating like a sow.)

I've recently started taking Aqua Zumba. Same thing, only now you're in a pool. I think this is more my thing. Much easier on my joints, and because I'm in water, I get some of that resistance training as well.

But if you like dancing and doing something fun, Zumba is great for that. The dance moves change from class to class, so you're never doing the same thing over and over again. And it definitely gives you a workout.
Lakilaulea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW-267/SW-252/ticker/GW-180

Height: 5'2"

I attend a 1 hour Zumba class once per week and LOVE it! It is a lot of fun and a fantastic workout. I run and weight train 3-4 times per week, so it is a great addition to my workout (and a nice change of pace).

I say go for it!
westcoast rosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #4  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

Looooooove Zumba. 31 here!
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:23 AM   #5  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

How long did it take you to become comfortable with the steps? I have danced in stage musicals but never been " clubbing" and not sure if I could even endure an entire hour without passing out.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:57 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/155

Height: 5'10"

dstalksalot - You might feel like you'll pass out, but you won't It took me a few classes to not stop and take breaths.. It's nonstop dancing and I get winded easily. But even if you can't do the moves, you can always adjust to your level of comfort and skill.
Lakilaulea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #7  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

I love it too... and I'm 30. It's really easy to get into and time flys by.
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #8  
I Will Because I Can

S/C/G: 167/130

Height: 5'6

I'm not quite a 30-something, I'm a 28 year old mother of two. I LOVE Zumba! I try to go to 3 classes a week. There are women (and a couple of men) of ALL ages and sizes. I'm not a great dancer, but after a few classes I picked up most of the steps and it's fun! The hour goes by really quickly.
OhThePlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:20 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 188/188/150

Height: 5'4

Thanks everyone! Definitely going to start some classes but I'll have to wait until AFTER Hurricane Sandy passes on through! After being stuck for 2 days in the house with my 2 toddlers I'll need a Zumba class ASAP!! :O)
Bean517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #10  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i took my first class last weekend and really liked it...its not exactly zumba but similar and set to hip hop music...im terribly uncoordinated but i stayed in the back of the class and tried my best...it wasnt as hard as my running but it was a good workout, good change of pace...i know i wasnt doing half the moves correctly because i simply cant coordinate my arms and feet at the same time LOL but it's a 5 week course and i'll go to all of them and see if i improve any
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 198/171/140

Height: 5'3"

I am really into anything cardio dance related, I do 2 Zumba classes per week and 1 Cardio Hip Hop class at the gym I go to nowadays.

Usually instructors will do the same routines for awhile and only add in new ones here and there, so that if you go often enough you get accustomed to it and I find once you are at least vaguely familiar with what the instructor will do you can get a good workout. It's good not to get TOO comfortable, the novelty is important, but I always find when something is brand new to me I never get as good of a workout because I have to stop sometimes to watch what's going on or do the move wrong or whatever.

And the universe of possible cardio dance moves isn't infinite. You'll find that there's the same basic steps with variations used often times!

I lost ~30 lbs on cardio + weight lifting + watching what I eat (over a year period though, because I gained back some and lost some again). I have been on a Zumba/Cardio Hip Hop + watching what I eat regime for 2 weeks and did lose 4 lbs in that time. But I had been retaining water from TOM so that's not a normal jump. I'll keep reporting back whether the Zumba/Cardio Hip Hop + sort of diet is working. I've gotten busy with working and am scared of the soreness of going back to weight lifting, so that's postponed for now.
faunaflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 259.5/ticker/140-160?

Height: 5'3"

I tried Zumba this week and I already love it. I've been to two classes and had a blast both times, though I'm not very good at it!

This is the first exercise class I've attended since about 2003, so I'm very proud of myself for getting out there and doing something. In the class I attend, people seem more than comfortable with modifying the moves if they were too hard, so I felt OK doing the same thing.

It's been really fun so far!
Katy Did is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:28 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 224/Ticker/140

Height: 5"3

I'll be 35 on Sunday and I've done it. I am usually totally uncoordinated and have no rhythm and for the first time in my life, I did with Zumba! Don't worry about not being able to get the moves down. Everyone else is too busy getting their own footwork down to look at you! lol

I am not doing it any more because of schedule conflicts, but it was really enjoyable and I did see some results from it.
strutter5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #14  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

We have a Zumba game for Xbox kinect that is a lot of fun... And I've taken a class which was really intense... Definitely a good work out... Have fun...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 250/230/155

Height: 5'5

Yes, I LOVE Zumba! I have been doing it on and off for about 6 months twice a week at my lunch break at work. I have no rhythm, but I don't care.. Its fun and it is motivating! It is so nice to go to the gym and ENJOY a class. I was really nervous the first time, but I did it and love it. I used to joke that the instructor probably gets confused if she looks up at me because I am always backwards LOL.. Again, oh well.. I'M DOIN'!
Lissemo is offline   Reply With Quote