Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 08:21 AM   #1  

Default walking

I walk everday(7days) aprox. 3 miles. I have a walking buddy and it takes us about 45 minutes. I think I have reached a plateau. I don't feel that it is even slightly difficult any longer. I would like to increase my activity about 3 days a week. I really have a problem with running(large breasts). Does anyone have any outdoor suggestions that I can do with my buddy. She doesn't like to ride a bicycle or rollerblade. I know I will not keep it up without my buddy. Any suggestions would be wonderful.

Jenn
Old 09-12-2003, 10:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Hmm, I don't know if I have any good suggestions, but I too walk a 45 minute 3 mile walk that isn't very difficult anymore. (and don't run for the same reason!) I walk it about 10 times a week, though - usually 2x a day Mon-Fri. I recently moved and found my new walk, which is more "hilly" than the old one, to be a little more challenging. Can you vary your route to include hills, or more hills if it already does?
Old 09-12-2003, 10:17 AM   #3  

Have you thought about walking with weights to increase resistance? Do you have access to a park that would have more like a hiking atmosphere than just walking? Most outdoor activities are similar to what you mentioned YOU DON'T want to do so that is a tough one. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Old 09-12-2003, 11:29 AM   #4  

Thanks for the suggestions. We do have several hiking trails nearby. They are very out of the way and I could only go hiking one day a week. I'm a full time student and I work full time. You'd think I wouldn't have time to eat LOL. The route we walk is pretty hilly. There are a lot of hills in my area. I think I will try adding arm weights. I already use ankle weights. Sounds like a weird question, but does anyone have any sports bra suggestions? If I had a good one, I think I could run. I may also add a step aerobics class a couple days a week. Maybe that will get some extra fat burning in. Thanks...Jenn
Old 09-12-2003, 10:01 PM   #5  

Hi...my sis and I walk 3-4 miles a day..takes about 15 min per mile and we carry 5 lb weights with us. Havent tried the ankle weights yet but I think I will. Did it make walking much harder?

Miki
Old 09-13-2003, 08:34 AM   #6  

Miki...not too much harder. I just tried the wrist weights yesterday though. It was not hard at all. Your legs just get a little more tired towards the end. I like those weights that velcro onto my ankles and wrists. I really don't like to carry weights. I think I am also going to try to flex some muscles as I walk. I feel like the only thing I am getting out of walking(besides a healthy heart) is firm calves. Like the rest of us, I want a firm butt! LOL

Good luck...Jenn
Old 09-14-2003, 06:58 AM   #7  
Om shanti

I believe you're better of walking with weights affixed to your torso, than your wrists or ankles. Wrist weights and ankle weights are prone to cause extension injury.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:23 PM   #8  

How do you affix weights to your torso? Wouldn't that hurt your back? I have had no injury problems with my wrist and ankle weights. I use 2lb on each. I can see if someone does not stretch or uses weights that are too heavy. Jenn
Old 09-15-2003, 06:54 AM   #9  
Om shanti

Here's a link to a page that reviews various ways to add weight to your torso, thereby reducing the change of injury.

Top 9 Walking Weights

From that page, "I do not recommend ankle weights for walking because they can increase the risk of strain and injury. ... Wrist weights can be used with arm motion to give you some extra toning. I don't recommend them because they can increase risk of injury to your shoulder."

This is from Vitacost's newsletter:

"Fitness buffs, in an effort to increase exertion thus calorie burning sometimes carry hand weights or velcro-attached ankle or wrist weights while power walking or jogging. Benefits from this added weight has been deemed miniscule in recent studies. Furthermore, increased risk for injury makes the practice unsafe. Ankle weights, in particular, add to the stress on legs and feet and can cause tripping and falling. Distorted rhythm and balance can disturb proper form. Damage to ligaments and muscles is a greater possibility as well as reducing speed. Hand weights are great for standing or sitting exercises but leave them off on your next run, walk or aerobic dance class."
Old 09-15-2003, 03:25 PM   #10  
Bad Mamma Jamma

Height: 5'7"

I would get a very good exercise bra (I find a good minimizer UNDER a good sports bra is pretty effective) and start sprinting or even jogging for intervals. Interval training is supposed really increase the number of calories burned.

Either that or increse the overall speed, or even add another mile - what's another 15 minutes really?
Old 09-23-2003, 10:16 PM   #11  

Location: where the weather changes every 15 minutes-- Michigan

wow lots of great suggestions.. Just wanted to add, for sure try to shave some time off your mile. if you currently walk a 15 minute mile, try 14. even alternate your miles, use your first mile as a warm up do it in 15, try for 14 your second and third.. You could alternate it anyway but increasing your speed will kick your heart rate up a notch. 3 years ago I could walk a good 12 minute mile.

They have belts you can get with resistance bands on them for arm exercises while walking.. I know theres one with the WATP videos. There was also a sports bra post on here somewhere, someone left the website for a good one.. I can sympathize, have to use 2 sometimes 3 for my running and I'm technically not really big but big enough to damage something if I dont tie em down.
I call it duct tape. The bf thought I was kidding till I had to ask him to help me remove them all one day.. kinda hard to pull the gosh derned things over yer head when your all sweaty!! who invented them to pull over head anyway??? I would like to kick them just once, although do find that the ones that clasp close stretch out on me faster.. SIGH!! being a woman sure can be tough!!

I'm sure whatever you decide to use. you will do great, look how wonderful your doing already!! congratulations..

you didnt say if your current path is paved or not?? I find it more challenging to go trail or dirt, more resistance that way.. I believe its usually less stress on the joints also, since there's some give to the surface. although you will hear me spilling expatives at the road guys after they grade my running roads.. makes it too rocky for me to run as much as I want.. What do they think they're doing anyway.. grading my running path?? their jobs?? LOL.. well just for grins and giggles I think of sending the words their way.. have a great day..
Old 09-26-2003, 10:16 AM   #12  

I don't post a lot but I do read for insperation. So I shall go back out into this big world and walk the rest of my 5 miles. I will go to the "y'. then do some errands. I want so much to get rid of some more wieght in my abdoman area. I am 20 pounds from goal.
Closed Thread