Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 334/see ticker/184

Height: 6'0"

Default Is this it??? Need encouragement!

I'm feeling a bit discouraged and down. I've been stuck hovering at 287ish for weeks and it doesn't feel like I'll ever get past it!

I've always been big-I was 275 when I got married almost 8 years ago at age 20 and since then I've had 5 kids and never been below 286. I have lost weight a few times but never more than 20-25 lbs at a time and I ALWAYS get stuck hovering around 290ish. This time I've felt like I've really figured stuff out . I started losing weight this time in June and lost 47lbs in 3 months! Then, BAM! Slammed into 287 and cannot break through!

UGH! Is this all there is? Am I forever going to be stuck at 290? Really? I so much wanted to be 269 by Thanksgiving but now I'm starting to doubt that I'll even be out of the 280's.

Anyone else out there have a weight they couldn't seem to get past? Did yôu pass it eventually? How long did it take?

Someone please reassure me that I won't always be stuck here!!

Last edited by Imato5; 10-24-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Imato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/155

Height: 5'10"

I've tried losing weight several times over the years and noticed I have two different plateaus: I'm in my first one now, the 210s. The next, and hardest one for me, is the 170s. It seems that I'll lose and lose, but once I hit the 171ish mark, the scale gets stuck. I haven't seen below 171 since 2009. It's always discouraged me and ultimately cause me to give up and crawl back up the scale. I'm determined not to let that happen this time. Right now I'm just trying to get below 210. It's been tough. I'll go down a little, then go back up again. I was hoping to be below 200 by Christmas, but I'm not sure if I'll see that now. But don't give up!!!

Have you tried upping your exercise intensity/time? Have you tried cutting back on carbs/fat? I was finally able to get under 218 for the first time this week by substituting one meal a day. I've been having a V-8 (low sodium) for dinner instead of a full meal. I wasn't that hungry at night, but still eating a full dinner. That's pushed me a little lower. I've also slowly upped my time and intensity on my Tread Climber, so that I don't get too used to the movement and plateau. Try tweaking something in your regimen a little. Maybe your body just needs a little jolt; you may have gotten too used to your routine. Try a different exercise. If you normally run, try the stair climber. Good luck!!
Lakilaulea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:12 AM   #3  

Height: 5'4

You haven't told us anything about what you are eating, how much you are eating, what sort of activity you are doing, etc.

If you lay out some details I'm sure that there will be plenty of people who can start to offer suggestions!
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:21 AM   #4  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Exactly what JossFit said! It could be possible that you have hit a plateau, or it could be that there's a chance that you are not in a calorie deficit.

So many times these sticking points are so much more mental than physical. I had one when I hit 179 and I SWORE it was a stall, I was there for 4 weeks. Well, after it was over and I was really honest with myself, it was that I was eating more than I had been when I was losing. That may not be your case, just throwing it out there.

And, NO! This is most certainly NOT it. Whether or not the scale is moving you are in a better place than you were 2 months ago right!? So keep on doing what you are doing. Reevaluate exaclty what and how much you are eating, your activitly leve, be REALLY honest with yourself. Stick to it and the scale will move again.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #5  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i was stuck in the high 190s for MONTHS!! could NOT get out of it...kept having to remind myself that this was the lowest weight i'd EVER SEEN in my adult life!! and that even staying there was a success for me

eventually i dug in deeper and upped my workouts a little harder, brought the calories down a little bit, and it's slowly been coming off again...keep in mind that i NEVER lose fast...my body just wont do it, i dunno...so now i'm sitting in the high 180s and somewhat sidelined by bronchitis and stomach flu at the same time...lovely...
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 334/see ticker/184

Height: 6'0"

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement ladies! I was talking to a friend yesterday after I posted and I was realizing a few things during our conversation. I think the "can't get past 290" is more a mental block than anything else...see, right now, I weigh 12 lbs more than I did when I got married, but I'm basically the same SIZE I was then (I have clothes from back then that I can wear again now so that how I really know.) For me, a size 20/some 18's FEELS skinny. It's the smallest I've been in my adult life...even when I was 15 though I didn't weigh as much I was wearing a size 22/24. So I think when I hit this SIZE, I start feeling good, and even feeling skinny, because my body recognizes this as being the happy weight for me. Does that make sense? I know in my brain that 287 is still quite a lot and that I have 100ish lbs I'd still like to lose-but it's just head knowledge. I have no remote clue at all what it would feel like to wear a 16, or 14 or whatever-I have no clue what it feels like to be an adult *only weighing* 250. So I think I stall out around here because I feel good-as good as I can feel...not in pain or exhaustion like I was even 10 lbs ago.

So, I was thinking that realizing the reasons behind why I think I stall out, I'll be better able to move forward from here. I do want to see 199 so desperately badly!

Then after all that mental work yesterday, today I found out I'm pregnant.

I guess that could stall out a weight loss too. Lol.
Imato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:30 AM   #7  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imato5 View Post
Thanks for all the advice and encouragement ladies! I was talking to a friend yesterday after I posted and I was realizing a few things during our conversation. I think the "can't get past 290" is more a mental block than anything else...see, right now, I weigh 12 lbs more than I did when I got married, but I'm basically the same SIZE I was then (I have clothes from back then that I can wear again now so that how I really know.) For me, a size 20/some 18's FEELS skinny. It's the smallest I've been in my adult life...even when I was 15 though I didn't weigh as much I was wearing a size 22/24. So I think when I hit this SIZE, I start feeling good, and even feeling skinny, because my body recognizes this as being the happy weight for me. Does that make sense? I know in my brain that 287 is still quite a lot and that I have 100ish lbs I'd still like to lose-but it's just head knowledge. I have no remote clue at all what it would feel like to wear a 16, or 14 or whatever-I have no clue what it feels like to be an adult *only weighing* 250. So I think I stall out around here because I feel good-as good as I can feel...not in pain or exhaustion like I was even 10 lbs ago.

So, I was thinking that realizing the reasons behind why I think I stall out, I'll be better able to move forward from here. I do want to see 199 so desperately badly!

Then after all that mental work yesterday, today I found out I'm pregnant.

I guess that could stall out a weight loss too. Lol.
Oh wow congratulations!!!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #8  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

Yeah that would do it alright. Congratulations! Stay healthy and enjoy this unique time!
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #9  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Congratulations

And having lost weights maintained essentially through two pregnancies now, I must encourage you to stick to your plan, even if it gets more liberal as needed. There is no reason to gain massive amounts of weight while pregnant and it feels really good to have an actionable eating plan during it, I promise! Indulge in some cravings, absolutely, but it is so nice to give birth and be the same weight or LIGHTER than prepregnancy
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

LOL congrats!

Come visit us in the pregnant/nursing section. I'm just finishing pregnancy #2 here on 3FC (I was here for my first too!!) and it's a great way to stay accountable and not get "out of control"/stay healthy in pregnancy.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pregnant-nursing-173/
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

btw you might have to change your username! LOL!
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #12  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
Congratulations

And having lost weights maintained essentially through two pregnancies now, I must encourage you to stick to your plan, even if it gets more liberal as needed. There is no reason to gain massive amounts of weight while pregnant and it feels really good to have an actionable eating plan during it, I promise! Indulge in some cravings, absolutely, but it is so nice to give birth and be the same weight or LIGHTER than prepregnancy
I agree. My wife had gestational diabetes and hypertension when she was pregnant with each of our three children and was put on a restricted diet by her OB/GYN. He had a dietician come to his office to explain the diet plan to her. She actually lost weight during each one of her pregnancies (but gained it all back after going off the diet after giving birth.) So, I would just ask your OB/GYN about a diet plan that is safe for your pregnancy.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote