Old 10-24-2012, 07:58 AM   #1  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

S/C/G: 380/190/120

Height: 5'6

Arrow 100 days on fruits veggies nuts and seeds Challenge!

Hey everybody today is day 1 for me on a new challenge diet plan I am going to do 100 days on fruits veggies nuts and seeds. I'm going to skip the nuts and seeds for the most part but I may add a little I'm going to make sure I get some healthy fats each day as well be it flax seed, avocado, coconut or olive oil I am thinking.

I'm going to be juicing making smoothies using my yonanas machine and just eating fruits and veggies mostly raw but some steamed as well or baked. sweet potatoes and squashes are allowed but no white potatoes.

No dairy
No meat
No sugar
No wheat
Allowed

Cept the sugar u get naturally from the unprocessed fruits and veggies of course. I'm gonna eat as much fruits and veggies as I want. My unsweetened coconut milk is also allowed for smoothies or coconut water.

If anyone wants to join me that would be great I realize this is a pretty strict plan though so otherwise this thread is just to keep me accountable for the 100 days. If u wanna join and tweak the plan a little to your liking that is fine as well just make it 100 days of whatever u want your plan to be.

And if I mess up ill go back to day 1 again on the plan!

So here I go

1/100 oct 24th
Weight: 239.5

2/100 oct 25th
Weight: 238

3/100 oct 26th
Weight: 237

4/100 oct 27th
Weight: 236.5

5/100 oct 28th
Weight: 236

Last edited by going2bskinny; 10-29-2012 at 09:06 AM.
going2bskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:40 AM   #2  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

If you are skipping the nuts and seeds, where are you going to get protein from? Are you eating beans?

I'm interested in seeing what results you see from this.
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #3  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by findingfawn View Post
If you are skipping the nuts and seeds, where are you going to get protein from? Are you eating beans?

I'm interested in seeing what results you see from this.
Yeah beans and lots of greens and ill probably still have almonds or almond butter and some other nuts occasionally.

Good point think I will add in some quinoa then and homemade hummus as well i dont want any soy products thanks fawn

Last edited by going2bskinny; 10-24-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:32 AM   #4  

S/C/G: size24W/size12/size10

Height: 5'5"

Wow! That's some challenge!! Is it kind of like a vegan diet? I will definitely be following your progress!
angieand2girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

This is a modified fast (modified because you're eating some food), and if you're going to do a modified fast, you want it to be a protein sparing modified fast (PSMF), otherwise, you risk losing muscle. And not only does muscle loss reduce your metabolism, it can also be deadly if you lose the WRONG muscle (it can come from your heart, which is probably one of the reasons low-protien and poor-protein modified fasts are associated with cardiac damage and cardiac arrest deaths - the other is dehydration and electrolyte imbalance).

So if you're going to do this, don't just "add some quinoa and nut butter," make sure you're geting enough protein by counting it, so you know that you're getting enough protein to stave off muscle loss. Also, you'll want to include at least some exercise, because key to the "not losing muscle" is not only including the protein, but working your muscles enough to convince your body that you need them (that's a gross oversimplification of the science, but an easy image to remember - the reality is that used muscles are in a state of injury/repair that makes them the last muscles to be canabalized by a low-calorie diet - which may be why the heart is often the first to go).

The general recommendation I have heard is 1 to 1.5 grams of protein for every pound of ideal body weight (some recommendations say you have to consider starting weight as well, but I don't know how starting weight is supposed to affect the calculation - does it mean you can go with the lower recommendation, or does it mean you should go with the higher recommendation - I just don't know).

Most PSMF's include vitamin and mineral supplementation of some kind, so at least consider a multi-vitamin and don't shortchange yourself of fluids and salt. You might assume that the fluids in the fruits and vegetables make dehydration unlikely, but if you're not using any salt (and your normal diet contains quite a bit) this can disrupt you ability to use thirst as a guide for fluid intake. If you're exercising or being quite active on this fast, your hydration and electrolyte balance can get off-kilter.

So count your protein, your fluids, and add at least a tiny bit of salt (doesn't have to be much) or eat quite a bit of higher sodium veggies like celery.

The protein is the key, though because you want to keep as much muscle as possible. It can be difficult to get complete proteins (all the amino acids you need) on a vegan diet, so quinoa is a good choice (I believe it's actually one of the very few plant proteins that are a complete protein).

You don't need complete proteins at every meal, or probably even every day, but to get a complete set over time you either have to combine proteins to get a full set, or eat a very wide variety. There's a lot of information on line on combining proteins to make full sets, a lot of vegans do this, because it's easier to remember to eat "rice and beans" at a meal to eat the complimenting protein at another meal relatively soon.

You might think that I'm trying to discourage you, but I'm not. I'm on my own PSMF right now (The Simple Diet as described in the book, The Simple Diet, by James Anderson {a doctor} and Nancy Gustavson {a registered dietician with a master's degree}).

The Simple Diet is not a whole-foods diet (unless you choose to make it one, which you can do and still fit in the guidelines, but then you're pretty much making every single meal and meal replacement yourself, and some of the appeal for me is in not having to do a lot of food preparation).

The Simple diet uses 3 meal replacements (100 to 200 calories, 10 - 26g of protein) and 2 small meals (140 - 300 calories, 10 - 26g of protein) and in emergencies (up to 7 times per week) protein bars (100 to 200 calories, 6 - 26g of protein, I believe), and at least 5 servings of fruit and vegetables (more is ok, especially more of the lowest calorie ones), and 8 glasses of zero calorie fluids (Crystal Light and other 0 calorie beverages are allowed).

There are also fat guidelines, but I can't remember them off hand (I think less than 9g for meals and less than 5/6g for bars, shakes, and soups.

Meals are frozen, or shelf-stable entrees (the book doesn't really talk about making the soups and meals from scratch, but I am doing so - just being sure to make sure that the meals fit the guidelines or come VERY close).

I'm not sharing this to say that you should follow The Simple Diet, or any other pre-boxed PSMF like Ideal Protein, Metabolic Research Center, Medifast, the Dukan Diet (which I believe is a whole foods PSMF), ... but rather as an illustration of a PSMF (there are threads on all of the previous PSMF's here on 3FC, so you can get some information there as well).

I don't know if there's a Rapid Fat Loss (Lyle McDonald) thread, but it too is a whole foods PSMF. I'd also recommend the Paleo Diet (which isn't necessarily a PSMF, but can be adapted to one - though the problem with paleo would be getting enough vegan proteins that are paleo-friendly since most paleo diets shun grain and legumes - however even when I did paleo I did include some high protein grains and legumes).

Rather I'm suggesting that you take a look at some of the different PSMF's and get a "feel" for the kinds and amounts of protein you'll need to prevent the muscle loss that is so common in a modified fast with insufficient protein.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #6  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

Yeah basically a vegan diet but no processed sugar or wheat too lol I have pcos also so I want to see if this helps my symptoms any from what I have read sugar has a very negative effect on that so will see what happens.

Thanks kaplods from what I've read it said a female should have 45 g of protein a day so ill try to shoot for that is that about right or is it like 120 for me? I have my net diary on my phone ill track how much protein I'm getting a day I'm still drinking my usual 3 Qts of water a day and having some salt on my food.

Ill start doing my arm weights and sit-ups I guess I'm on bed rest right now with an injured leg but can do those I guess lol.

Today so far I ate 2 apples some almond butter and made pumpkin soup for lunch I won't have any quionoa until tomorrow going to trader joes but ill try to haves salad with some beans or something tonight my tracker says I only had 10g of protein today so far. Gonna keep doing research on vegan protein if its way too hard to meet the daily requirements I may add in some fish later and after the 100 days I'm going to be adding in lean meat and eggs most likely again but not the rest.

If anyone is vegan here and can give me some good foods for protein that would help I'd appreciate it I really want to stay away from all meat the entire 100 days.

Going to be getting the ingredients to make some hummus also tomorrow so I can dip veggies in there. Trying to stay away from chemicals and bad oils as well only healthy ones so most what I buy will be from trader joe and checking the labels.

ill see if I can find some hemp protein powder I guess instead of adding fish back in that should help some. Any other ideas let me know.

I'm gonna get some of this I guess it looks pretty good http://www.vitacost.com/garden-of-li...-protein-622-g
Old 10-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by going2bskinny View Post
Thanks kaplods from what I've read it said a female should have 45 g of protein a day so ill try to shoot for that is that about right or is it like 120 for me?

As I understand it 45 to 55g of protein is sufficient if you're calorie range is sufficient (if you're going to be losing less than a pound a week) - but if you're going to be cutting calories drastically enough to lose more than a pound a week, you need extra protein to prevent muscle loss.

I don't know how much extra protein is optimal or even sufficient, just that 1 to 1.5 grams per ideal body weight is one of the most commonly used calculations. Whether 1g per lb of body weight is considered the ideal, sufficient, or bare minimum - I just can't tell you.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #8  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

ok thank you kap
Old 10-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoynlife View Post
I had read that the minimum protein amount was based on lean body weight or just what your organs weigh but I will have to locate the two articles I read. I think one of them was based on the eat fat get thin approach.
I could never stick with it because my protein was always too high for their max.
I've never heard of using "organ weight" to calculate minimal protein requirements, though I have read about using lean body weight. In fact, lean body weight (just the weight of your muscle) is supposed to be the most accurate. I didn't mention it though, because there's no way that you can measure that at home (or organ weight either). To measure either, you'd need some fairly sophisticated medical equipment.

The problem with using lean muscle mass as your measure for determining protein requirements is that it can't be done at home, it has to be done under medical supervision, because only through medical professionals are you able to access the required equipment. Those who argue for using this measure are usually also the people who argue that PSMF's should NEVER be undertaken without such medical supervision.

To be honest, I can't say I disagree. I have to see my doctor every four months anyway (for medication reviews) so we discuss diet plans quite often. For the most part, my doctor is ok with any food plan I want to try as long as I consider 1200 calories my minimum. He said it was ok to go over and even ok to go under once in a while, but that my average (say for the week) shouldn't consistently be under 1200 - but that's for me - not necessarily for anyone else.

I do think most people should consult their doctor before taking on a PSMF, but I also realize that most people don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enjoynlife View Post
Funny I was in the produce market and two older people started talking to me about vegan and the cabbage soup diet which allows certain veggies fruits on certain days. I mentioned that I would be too hungry without my protein and they both said it wasn't necessary and that they had lost so much weight. I wish Kaplods would have been with me that day.

More than a few years ago, and I wouldn't have been any help. I also underestimated the value and need for protein.

I'm still a bit skeptical on the levels mentioned (when I was growing up, we were taught through high school that humans only needed about 2 ounces of meat or cheese, or an egg or two - so it's hard to get used to the idea that we may need more (at least while dieting).

I think I probably have experienced muscle erosion over the years of yoyo dieting (which would account for some of my metabolic decline as well). And since I've been including a lot more protein, the weight does come off a little easier and little faster than it did when I started.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:42 PM   #10  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

If you're doing a vegan diet (which I strongly reject, but won't get into details unless you ask ) protein consumption is even MORE crucial than a regular diet, and watching your B vitamin sources very, very carefully.

Just log your food and be aware of your vitamins and minerals, as well a the overall counts. You can make yourself very weak and ill by deficiencies in certain nutrients.

I wish you the best!

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 10-24-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:28 AM   #11  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

Day 2 is done but I must admit I am wanting to add back in at least meat and eggs this is very hard to get even 40g of protein a day, the rest cut out I can deal with but the meat is very hard may do a few more days without meat cuz I got some quinoa and things now I wanna try but I think I'll be adding back in meat soon and just continuing my challenge with dairy sugar and wheat out lol sorry to those of u who were gonna follow my progress if I add back in meat now again.

Both days so far also I have been having very tired spells not sure if that's from the no meat or not but may be?

Last edited by going2bskinny; 10-26-2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #12  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
If you're doing a vegan diet (which I strongly reject, but won't get into details unless you ask ) protein consumption is even MORE crucial than a regular diet, and watching your B vitamin sources very, very carefully.

Just log your food and be aware of your vitamins and minerals, as well a the overall counts. You can make yourself very weak and ill by deficiencies in certain nutrients.

I wish you the best!
Can you tell me why you reject it please? I learn a lot on here lol
Old 10-27-2012, 05:02 PM   #13  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

im on day 4 now still going without the meat but I don't like it I find myself eating beans a lot and who wants to eat beans all the time? Makes me kind of sick. Think I'd wrather just eat the meat and veggies lol I am losing fast though so that's good but I'm sure I'd lose just as fast with veggies and lean meat than without meat. Maybe faster cuz less salt and carbs involved. I'll continue without meat until my quinoa is gone then I'll be adding back in meat only and continue with the rest cut out.

Well I guess I did order that protein powder now so maybe I'll wait for that to arrive and see how it goes from there.

Last edited by going2bskinny; 10-27-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:29 AM   #14  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

It's really boring posting in here cuz it's only me im still doing good 233.5 today but I think I'll just keep posting in the weightloss threads they are more motivating lol sorry