Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #1  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Default Isdrfufds!

Tell me, 3FC, why does my body like being at 180 so much? WHY? It teases me with the 170s and then it's like "HAHAHA JK!" and goes back to 180.

Granted, I went to the fair on Wednesday and didn't eat the best foods. But all the other days I was within my calorie range and I've probably exercised more this past week than I have in a long time. I should've had a loss this week. But nooooooooo!

So.frustrating.
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #2  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

We definitely have happy weights along the way that can be difficult (but definitely not I possible) to surpass. 180 was one of mine and it was obnoxious! My body spent a year or two there, so it's a bit of a natural set point for me, and it took time and persistence to diet past, along with a little break to maintain. Only then did I blow past it.

Now, that doesn't mean your body requires the same or I wouldn't have made it past 182 (in my case) without that break, but it was more for my sanity than anything
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #3  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

last time i lost a lot 180 was the WORST. i was stuck there except a little bouncing around for 6 weeks. just keep at it, like the above poster said, sometimes our bodies have set points that they like to stay at and apparently 180 is a common one. i am NOT looking forward to getting past it again!
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #4  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

I feel ya, Mimsy!

Erg. I'm struggling now, too. Since mid July (right after I started running), my weight blips up every 3rd week. Takes me 7-10 days to get back to where I was before the blip, then I only get another 7-10 to get any lower. So I've lost all of 6 pounds in the last 3 months, while still paying $300/month for Medifast food. Grrrrrrrr. I really wanted to be buying my goal winter wardrobe, and instead I'm still buying disposa-clothes for my upcoming trip to Ireland.

We'll get through this. I just hope we don't lose our minds or commitment in the process.
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #5  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Well wudd'ya know! I woke up with a woosh this morning at 177.5! SCORE! I call it 177 though, the decimal means nothing to me, lol.
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:10 AM   #6  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Yahoo mimsy!

Someday, my whoosh will come.....
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimsyborogoves View Post
Tell me, 3FC, why does my body like being at 180 so much? WHY? It teases me with the 170s and then it's like "HAHAHA JK!" and goes back to 180.

Granted, I went to the fair on Wednesday and didn't eat the best foods. But all the other days I was within my calorie range...
Little bit of tough love for ya; it's not that your body 'likes' to be at 180 pounds, it's that your actions keep it at 180 pounds. Yes, it can be frustrating but you have to realize that you are probably at the point where you have lost enough (you have done so great BTW!) that you need to watch things more carefully and challenge yourself more physically to keep seeing losses.

What worked for me at 180 lbs would NOT work for me at my current weight.
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #8  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JossFit View Post
What worked for me at 180 lbs would NOT work for me at my current weight.
Yeah, this is what I was going to say. You have to constantly reevaluate what is working and what is not.

I am at this point now. I am at 170 and just broke through a stall. I am trying to figure out how low in calories I need to go on some days and how high I can go on others....and it constantly changes.

Congratulations on your losses!
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 210/173/128

Height: 5'0"

Historically I *always* get stuck at 180...it's like the universe knows... and does everything it can to keep you there!
FunSize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #10  
Angela

S/C/G: 155/138/126

Height: 5'6"

Way to go mimsyborogoves!
keep up the good work!
masterptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Most of my life I've thought "I should have lost this week," and in fact I got to 394 lbs "doing well most days of the week."

The amount of time I could spend off plan and the amount of food I could eat off plan and still lose (or fail to gain) has changed, but the principle remains true: It takes a whole lot more on-plan effort (and a whole lot less off-plan behahavior) than I imagine it "should."

I've taken most of those "shoulds" off the table, because it's the "shoulds" that always derailed me from weight loss every time. I "should" be able to eat more; I should have lost more weight this week, because I worked so hard; This should be easier by now...

It doesn't seem possible that anyone (let alone someone 394 lbs) can fail to lose weight if they're on plan more often than not (let alone being on plan 6 days out of 7), but it is possible... for more than 30 years, I've lived it more often than not. There were very few times in my life when my eating was uncontrolled for more than a few days at a time, a week at most, and yet my "good most of the time" wasn't enough to lose weight, because (to paraphrase the nursery rhym) "when I was good, I was very, very good, but when I was bad, I was horrid..."

... except I don't use the words good, bad (let alone horrid) anymore. Those also tripped me up, because when I was "good" for long periods of times, I felt I had earned the right to be at least a little "bad" (if not entirely horrid).

I've had to realize that I really can't "earn" time off for "good" behavior. That doesn't mean that I never eat off plan (I wish it did), but if I want to lose weight, I can't have nearly the number of "treats" as I feel I "deserve," so I'm trying to learn that I don't "deserve" any.

If I eat off-plan, it can't be because I think I "deserve" to, because I have to deal with the reality of the true consequences (not the ones I feel I deserve) of eating off-plan. I try to ask myself before that off-plan bite, "is this treat so good that you're willing to slow down weight loss, or even potentially gain in order to have it?"

Sometimes the answer is yes, and I eat knowing that I'm going to have to "pay" for it by postponing progress. More often, I find that I've delayed progress, eating off plan, not because I consciously decided that I was willing to delay progress, but because I ate without thinking of the consequences.

However, I rarely (not never, but rarely) now eat because I believe I "deserve" the treat. In fact, when I find myself thinking that way, I usually don't fall into the trap, because I recognize it as a trap.

I've learned that the "I deserves" are a trap, so I recognize it when I think it... it's all the other traps I'm still working on (like eating when bored or while multi-tasking so I lose track of how much I've eaten, or eating foods I know will make me hungrier, sooner).

Last edited by kaplods; 10-23-2012 at 08:33 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #12  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I hear you on the "I deserves"! They can be very insidious, seemingly helpful to us mentally but setting us up for a lot of dissatisfaction and disappointment. Sneaky!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:56 PM   #13  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

" time off for good behavior" I love that LOL
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #14  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I was stuck in the 180s for six months. It felt like I had just stalled, but the reality was that I went back to my old habits after getting down to 182. Somehow I didn't gain anything back and just coasted through 182 all the way until I started back up again.

I DO know how frustrating it is, but you know what you have to do to bust through it. Focus on the fact that you DIDN'T gain anything back because that should be celebrated—it's something that kept me happy when I didn't keep losing—since most just gain.

In fact I remember when I went for a checkup and the doctor scolded me for being obese. I ignored him and I was just happy I hadn't gained anything!
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #15  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

I too was stuck at 180 for AGES (11 months from March last year till February 2012). I think a lot of it was mental in that I was in a size 12 dress, size 8 bottoms and for the first time ever able to shop at normal stores; I was also the smallest I'd ever been (well at least since I was like 10 and got boobs). Anyway, there was a lot of self-satisfaction going around even though I definitely wanted to keep going and make my goal, and so even though I was frustrated, I was JUST complacent enough that I was bouncing up and down the same 5 lbs around 180. For 11 months. As I've gotten lighter, I've found that there's a lot less room for error to actually drop the pounds.

And even then, "deserving" is a funny thing... last week was my worst week plan-wise in a long, long time (over 2000 calories 3 times and exercised only once) and I finally dropped a pound for the first time after 2 previous weeks of steady graft, so actually... who knows. I certainly didn't "deserve" the weight loss last week but I got it. "Deserving" doesn't always make sense in the short term, I guess, is the lesson here...

Last edited by toastedsmoke; 10-24-2012 at 08:37 AM.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote