Old 10-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #1  
Lets do this!

S/C/G: 296/286/190

Height: 6'

Default Some questions

Hi all, I am new to the forum and have about 100 lbs to loose. I am at close to my heaviest now, 286 (heaviest was 296) and goal of 180-190. Has anyone had experience with doctors offering appetite suppressants? If so do you recommend them? What do you all do for excersize?
stargazer222001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:16 PM   #2  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

I don't have any experience with suppressants, but I can tell you this...for many people restricting calories is its own suppressant.

After some time, two or three weeks maybe, many people find they simply aren't hungry for the amount of food they used to eat. I personally find this especially true with sweets - the more I eat, the more I want. If I restrict them, I'm much less hungry for them. The hardest part is just getting to that point initially.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #3  
Lets do this!

S/C/G: 296/286/190

Height: 6'

See I am at that point and have been for months. I have limited calories, sugar, the works and even with working out have been sorta stuck. My doctor suggested the suppressants to jump start the weight loss, but I don't know. I've met with a nutritionist and am working with her to find an eating plan that works but am getting stressed
stargazer222001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:11 PM   #4  

Height: 5'5"

Have you tried weight lifting? It's supposed to have the longest afterburn time, and gaining/maintaining muscle is conducive to long-term weight control. Plus - it is awesome.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:56 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 249.2/see ticker/125

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

High fiber diet naturally supresses appetite. LOTS of veggies! I cook up a whole bag of frozen mixed veggies with breakfast and dinner most days (that's 2 bags). Low calorie and lots of fiber and filling. No added oil...just some spices. Works like a charm! Also, walking is the best thing you can do for now. When you feel like you can, add in some weight lifting...
kmac1196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:35 AM   #6  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

I simply count calories.

I also have "no no foods". Peanut Butter is a huge no touch food for me. It sends me on a binge every time I touch it. Candy (or well almost any sweet really) is another thing I really have to control myself around. One piece and I'm not stopping till it's completely gone. So maybe pay attention for a while and see what makes you feel hungry when you are not.

For exercise, I like the Walk Away the Pounds videos. They are doable and I can feel them working. I also have a treadmill and all in one home gym and a crap load of free weights that I try to use on a regular basis.
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:31 AM   #7  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I have used appetite suppressants. I had a large weight loss in the 90's using Phen Phen but had to stop using them because they were causing heart issues in some people. Fortunately, they did not harm me but I put the weight right back on plus more.

Since then I used doctor prescribed appetite suppressants a couple of times but took a difference attack with them. I used them only for a couple of weeks to help me get started. I found this to be a pretty effective use to help me get through the sugar cravings.

Using appetite suppressants is pretty much a personal issue. I have had doctors both recommend them and recommend against them. I personally can not recommend them for long term use or depending on them for your entire weight loss but think that they can be a short term tool. I hope this helps.

* Note - I am not a doctor and can not give medical advice. I am just giving you my experience.

Last edited by time2lose; 10-22-2012 at 08:32 AM.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote