Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-21-2012, 03:15 PM   #1  
One decision at a time.

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Feeling more self conscious now that I'm trying to lose weight

Is it me or has anyone else felt more self conscious after you start to lose weight than you did when you were heavier? It kind of feels like I had blinders on and didn't really see myself in the mirror, but now that I've admitted that I am too heavy and have started to lose weight, I just want it off now, and I feel too uncomfortable in others about the way I look that I did before. Like I'm naked or exposed or something. So the result is that even though I have been overweight for years, now is when I am suddenly feeling embarrassed and want the weight off *right now*. Part of me feels like it's ridiculous to be so uncomfortable around others now because I've been way heavier. On the other hand I cringe when I think of myself thirty pounds ago, oblivious/intentionally blind to how I looked. Anyone else had this feeling?

I also hate my clothes. Every day I get up and look in my closet and don't want to put any of those clothes on, but I refuse to buy nicer clothes in my current size. I don't know if I'm committing to losing the weight or just handing myself a punishment for being this size. Perhaps it's a little of both.

What do you tell yourself, to encourage yourself to be comfortable in social situations? Do you go out and buy clothes in your current size, or just hit the gym harder?
ebb&flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #2  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Oh yes! I've been there.

I was pretty ignorant to how I looked for many years, which is how it got so bad, physically, while my self image was still fine. In some ways it was a blessing, as I never let my weight impact my life in significant ways. But part of having an a-ha moment on the scale was coming to the realization that my lack of awareness not only wasn't fooling anyone else, but it could really harm my health down the road. I was self conscious after losing weight and still have those moments. But I remind myself of how very far I've come, and worrying about a little back fat is a long way from worrying about fitting in a seat!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #3  

Pat yourself on the back for losing those 30 lbs!! You are not far from goal either. I think you should treat yourself to a few new hot outfits that you feel good about wearing. Everyone deserves to look good even before they hit goal.
kelleyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

I wrote this post 12 months ago. It gets better although I still feel more self conscious and self critical it gets better. Love your self no matter the size, give your self time and do what you can now to improve your appearance. Finger nail polish, a new scarf or purse...something that can last through weight loss..
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #5  

Height: 5'5"

May I encourage you to go to thrift stores? Nice clothes. No real financial commitment.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW 228/CW 138/GW 130-150

Height: 5'3.5

^ I second this. If you can take the time, you can find great brands and styles.....I have been living at my local Good Will.

Last edited by dstalksalot; 10-21-2012 at 07:32 PM.
dstalksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:00 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 191/149/135

Height: 5'8

I know exactly what you mean. I've lost 35 lbs, and at 156 and 5'8, I am a normal and acceptable weight--but i dont feel good about myself. I still feel self conscious and feel like I won't be attractive until I get to 140. I hate buying clothes. i hate how i look. Of course I recognize that being 140 won't magically fix everything....
Mer du Japon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:20 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 210/173/128

Height: 5'0"

This is where I am at right now!! I am 40lbs less than my highest, but oh man, I feel worse now because I realised how big I got and how big I still am! It's like I avoided the reality for years and now that I've joined the world I am more embarrassed of my body now than ever.
FunSize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:21 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 210/173/128

Height: 5'0"

Oh and about clothes.. I've been buying cheapie clothes at places like Forever 21 for now. Or mostly clearance racks. I don't want to spend $30 on a shirt when I know it will be too big for me in a few months.
I will start splurging on nicer clothes when I've reached goal.
FunSize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #10  

Height: 5'10

Been there! What makes me happier though is buying sexier outfits
brethan is offline   Reply With Quote