Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-20-2012, 06:01 AM   #1  
I Will do this....

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/165

Height: 5ft 7

Default From Fat to Fabulous !

Hi I am considering writing a book about my weightless journey. I'm not sure what format it will take, but feel there are so many things to say. If you were to read someones journey, what would you like to see included in the book? Any ideas, comments, anecdotes or just about anything you would like to add?
Many thanks for your replies, and suggestions.
starbrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:06 PM   #2  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

I'd be interested in reading about what exactly the author did (their plan), what their struggles were, how it affected their lives and relationships, how they faced challenges especially losing weight when other things in life are going on, lessons learned, tips and words of wisdom, life after weight loss, and of course work out plans/ideas and a few recipes are never amiss.

I also do some editing as a side job and from that standpoint, I think it would also be beneficial if with writing a book about weight loss, your book had an "angle" or a theme other than weight loss. Like what do you enjoy, what sets you apart as a person and what is there about you, other than weight loss, that would make someone identify with you and want to pick up your book specifically? I think it would help to set your book apart from being just an extended success story if it's about "that thing that makes you special" in addition to weight loss as opposed to just weight loss alone. For example, let's say you love to cook, it could be about recipes and weightless, sort of your weight loss journey through cooking. The "other thing" doesn't even have to be as directly-linked to weight loss. It could be a metaphorical link, tying something you like to do or certain life experiences that makes you unique to your experience to your weight loss journey in some way.

Of course you can also go the straight forward route of setting it upnlike a diary and liberally including other non-weight loss things that occurred in your life during a specific period e.g. starting from what made you decide to make the change through when you believed you could do it up to when you hit your goal.

Whatever you choose, I hope you do write the book. You've inspired me for a while on here (100-lb club shout out!) and I for one, can't wait to read your book when it comes out. Hope this helped even a little.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:17 PM   #3  
I Will do this....

Thank you. It's very hard. I have so much I want to say, but am not sure how to wrap it up. I agree it can't be just about weight loss, although I think it's such a relevant topic. I think my angle is about real women in real life situations, with kids, a job and all that goes with it. A sort of Bridget Jones for married fat people !! I know I can say it, it's just a question of how.
Thanks Toastedsmoke for replying and giving me hope. I have worked sooo hard to get to where I am, stay there and be the new person that I am. But I haven't forgotten where I came from, or the journey I travelled. I want to shout it, share it, and if possible inspire someone else to achieve it

Last edited by starbrite; 10-20-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:18 PM   #4  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

I am most interested in reading the honest truth about people's struggles, their thoughts throughout the process, the doubts, the successes, the "failures" (I hate that word but can't think of another one in its place). The mental aspect of weight loss is very interesting to me, probably because I'm a total head case, LOL!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:27 PM   #5  
Keeping Steady

S/C/G: 231/169/169 lb (104/77/77 kg)

Height: 6' 0" (1.82 m)

You would win a Pulitzer if you could think of a way of getting people to accept that weight loss is work. I've told lots of people how I've lost weight and they all stop listening before I'm done with the second sentence. It's got to be more than start out by harping on your successes. So, maybe go the direct opposite and start with the hard things. Or something like the "confession" thread. Actually that last one is pretty good: getting right to the fears and frustrations people have is probably a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockItUp View Post
the "failures" (I hate that word but can't think of another one in its place).
The setbacks?

Last edited by ControlW; 10-20-2012 at 08:27 PM.
ControlW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #6  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlW View Post

The setbacks?
YES! Exactly the right word, thank you!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:34 AM   #7  
ADL

S/C/G: 175/169/140

Height: 5"7

I would focus on selling your personal story and struggles than your weight loss plan. Everyone in the world seems to have another secret weight loss plan and the information can be confusing and overwhelming. I think people would be much more interested in you, your life and feelings as you lost weight than how you actually lost weight.
ADL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:37 AM   #8  
I Will do this....

Thanks ladies I agree with all the above. I did not have in mind a here is the way I did it story. More the unusual and surprising things that shocked and amazed me along the way. Some good, some not so good. Glad to hear I was on the right track !
Old 10-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #9  

Me personally, add some situations where you were uncomfortable (new person at the gym, in between clothing sizes). Add in the ways it changed your life, how people treat you differently, how you think differently about others etc.

It has been a crazy experience!
BusyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Maybe start by just writing a series of "short stories" in a sense, on different aspects of weight loss. Essays, perhaps, on the different topics. I bet that once you get going, a way to present it and tie it all together will become clear. But nothing will happen at all until you just start writing it all down. Good luck.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:21 AM   #11  
I Will do this....

Indeed Lin ! I have begun. I see it rather like you as a series of things that have occurred along the way. I will keep plugging away at it. Many thanks
Old 11-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 199/150

Height: 5'9

Just wanted to say Fat to fab is a great title!
givepeaceachance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 82.2/78.5/64

Height: 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbrite View Post
I think my angle is about real women in real life situations, with kids, a job and all that goes with it. A sort of Bridget Jones for married fat people !! I know I can say it, it's just a question of how.
I just wanted to say that I love this idea.
AmyAmy is offline   Reply With Quote