South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 10-19-2012, 06:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 169/166/120

Height: 5'3

Default Week 6 only lost 1-2 lbs

I don't understand why I'm not losing weight. I was diagnosed with celiac disease two years ago and basically started following this diet. I lost 15 pounds the first month and was down to my goal weight by 3 months. I went through a break up, ate poorly and gained it all back and more. So I started it again. I've been on the diet for 6 weeks and I've been down to 163 but now I'm back up to 166. In 6 weeks I expected to lose 10-15 pounds! I need to lose about 50. I am counting calories and I play Just Dance for exercise. I do about an hour 5 days a week. A average menu:
Breakfast: oatmeal and a tbsp of natural peanut butter
Lunch: either 6oz chicken breast over greens with salsa and sourcream or 6oz of ground turkey in pasta sauce with some park cheese or mozzarella. ( this is also my dinner)
Snack: fruit with a little whipped cream or pepperoni and hummus.
Dinner: left overs from lunch.

The last time I didn't even count calories and I lost weight so quickly. I'm eating the same things now as I did then accept I'm eating ground turkey now instead of ground beef. Any suggestions? This is frustrating.
Fireflyish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Losing weight is almost always frustrating! FWIW - I easily (albeit slowly) lost weight on SBD initially...20 lbs in 4 mos. SOme of the weight has crept back on, and it is SO HARD to lose it again.

Saying that, looking at your menu, there's a lot of things to tweak if you want to go with SBD. If you look at a lot of the stickies, you'll pick some great things up. In general, they recommend 1/2 veggies with breakfast, and 2 c each at lunch and supper (and not just greens). Do you know what the average calories are? It looks about appropriate, just not SBD.

I've been on the menu thread a lot lately, both putting in my menu to keep myself on track, get some other ideas, and just some general advice.

Hope this helps a wee bit, I'm sure you'll get some other awesome advice!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 143/Ticker/(108-110)

Height: 5'4"

Maybe eating a snack in between breakfast and lunch? It is a long period in between so your body might be retaining whatever it got from breakfast over to lunch, and so it doesn't burn it off.. If you eat a snack in between it'll let go of the fat/energy it got from breakfast quicker. And like twynnB says, you should incorporate more veggies in your menu! A min of at least 4.5 cups of veggies per day.

Are you getting enough water too? I drink about 2L per day, and you might also want to add some variety to your exercise routine.. (If you see that over time you are getting used to it, and it's getting easier.. you might need a challenge to surprise your body) And also make sure you're getting enough sleep!!

Hope this helps and keep on trucking!!
treesa76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:23 AM   #4  

Thanks for the advice. I will try adding more veggies and adding a snack inbetween breakfast and lunch. I will also try switching up my exercise routine by adding some weights maybe. I love to do Just Dance so its been great because I am excited to do it instead of feeling like I have to do it. I dont put a time restriction on it. Some days I do it for 45 mins and some days I do its for 2 hours. I have noticed that my clothes fit a little differently. So maybe Im just adding muscle which is why I havent seen a decrease in weight. Its just so frustrating because two years ago I lost weight so quickly on this diet. I turned 30 last year and I wondering if just a few years difference could change my metabolism that much.
Oh and my average calories is around 1200. On days that I work out I try to eat more to make up the calories though. So if i burn 300 calories I will eat 1500 calories that day. Usually I am under my goal calories by 100-200 though. I generally just eat when Im hungry and find that I dont need as much food as before. My cravings are pretty much gone so I am not struggling to stay under my calorie goal. I feel like I am eating enough and feel satisfied. Maybe I should cut down on the pepperoni because it has so much salt in it and eat my hummus with more veggies.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:37 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

Yes - I have found high salt keeps it on (I can tell I had bacon yesterday), and intense exercise will make it high - the next day. A great idea is to do your measurements too - my measurements changed drastically even though the scale was ery slow. Are you drinking lots of water? Makes a big difference as well.

BTW - I turned 40 last year - they weren't kidding it slows down at 40. Darned it!!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 162/145/145

Height: 5' 9 3/4

I agree with Tammy, losing weight does take longer as we get older, but I like to think it takes longer to gain it too. The weight for me came off very slowly on P2, lost 12 in P1, but I think it was mostly water. Absolutely use your clothes and measurements besides the scale. Also judge how you feel. Do you better? More energy?

I don't count my calories I am more concerned with watching portions. I know when I work out I do need more fuel in my tank lol. I live on P 1.5 I am good with fruit, grains not so much. I try to watch my gluten intake I still enjoy a piece of cake from time to time. Veggies are my snack with hummus or an apple and string cheese or PB.

SB is a lifestyle change not a temporary fix. I really enjoy my new way of life.
jekel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #7  
Almost there!

S/C/G: 212/163.8/130

Height: 5'4

To me, it looks like you are getting too many carbs. I could be wrong though, but that's just my thoughts on it.
Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #8  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Stars, South Beach allows plenty of carbs as long as they are god carbs. The carb ratio looks good to me.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:34 AM   #9  

So I am down to 162 now but the weightloss is still going so slowly. I guess I should be happy its going down and not up but still.... I think I am going to try to work out twice a day now. Do a little work out before I go to sleep and then do a full workout during the day. I am also going to try to cut down on my carbs and only have them once or twice a week. Ill see if that works. Ive been at this for almost 3 months now and only lost 7 pounds. Its frustrating. Thats not even a pound a week and I have 40 more pounds to lose.