Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 301/291/175

Height: 5'9"

Question questions from the new girl!!

So, I'm looking into gym memberships, and I'm really interested in circut training, (like curves) and want to know how this type of workout worked for others. I also want to know, when dieting, because I have a hard time letting go of my comfort food, does it really work to just cut the amount of comfort food I am taking in, or should I cut it out completely? and finally, when REALLY is the best time to weigh yourself? in the morning or at night?

also, sorry if I posted this in the wrong place..
JackylynJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:40 PM   #2  
keep going

S/C/G: 176/ticker/140

Height: 5'6

Im my opinion..

The best exercise is the one that you'll do, so if you enjoy circuit training and stick to it then that's great. I don't know what kind of exercise you do now but even just start walking, get moving. Weight loss is mostly about what you're putting in your mouth.

What are your comfort foods? If you can control the amount you're eating without binging and/or driving yourself crazy then you don't have to cut them out. I don't think anything should be cut out completely to be honest, just not everyday for certain things. It all depends on the person. I have a hard time with moderation if certain things are in the house so I don't buy them regularly. Other people don't.

In the morning after you've gone to the bathroom is the best time to weigh yourself I think.

It can all be over whelming at the start but just remember you don't have to have it all figured out from the start. Don't give up! Not gaining is a victory too. Good luck!
LeilaJey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 301/291/175

Height: 5'9"

thank you!! My comfort foods are coffe ice cream and garlic chicken pizza. LOLOLOL not healthy at all.. thats good advice though. So maybe I'll just say once a month, (lets face it, that one week a month is the hardest on comfort food!) I will treat myself. and the exersize I do now, I try to walk a few miles a day, but I seem to plateau alot when I do this..
JackylynJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/213/155

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeilaJey View Post
...Weight loss is mostly about what you're putting in your mouth.

What are your comfort foods? If you can control the amount you're eating without binging and/or driving yourself crazy then you don't have to cut them out. I don't think anything should be cut out completely to be honest, just not everyday for certain things.
I completely agree with LeilaJey. It always seems that when you completely cut things out, that's what you crave most...and eventually binge on
superwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: See tracker :3

Height: 5'5

I'm going to second what the other ladies said. You don't want to diet, you want to make changes to your lifestyle. There's no reason to cut out the food you like 100%, just change things around so that it fits in to your daily schedule. A tiny bowl of mashed potatoes or something once a month -probably- won't kill you :3

I dunno if you're counting calories or how you're tracking food, but I encourage you to write everything down.

If you -are- counting calories, the way I'm seeing it is, I have 1400 dollars (calories) to spend. If I want to drink a 500 calorie smoothie for breakfast, that's fine and dandy but it means I only have 900 caloriedollars left to spent. So maybe I can't have a HUGE dinner. :]

Best time to weigh yourself? I'd say any time is okay, just don't get TOO caught up in a number. Have you taken measurements?

I think circuit training is awesome. That's what I'm doing (sort of)- I think it's an awesome way to get started and I've seen people see awesome results. :3
DandelionCupcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:39 PM   #6  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Exactly what LeilaJey said.

What is your diet plan? For me I find calorie counting to be a good option, because I can eat anything I want, so long as I have enough calories budgeted for it.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #7  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I wouldn't do circuit training, myself, because I don't think it is the best time soent in the gym and my time is pretty short, but if you enjoy it and will stick with it, it is an excellent starting point! I, myself, like things like swimming and hiking for fun, and body resistance exercises and heavy weight training for actual results

Pick a plan that suits your tastes, that you can do long term. Just like exercise the one you like is the one you'll stick with. I personally find cravings and blood sugar control helps me a lot, so controlled carbohydrate approaches, whole foods, or clean/Paleo style eating suits me best, but your mileage may vary.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

We are all agreeing with Leila Jey! The only thing I would add is that you might look at the recipes you use for your comfort food and see what you could do to make them less calorie dense.

You can get reduced calorie ice cream. Be sure to read the labels because some of them aren't reduced enough to be worth turning down the real thing.

I am kind of thinking that you may be eating the pizza and ice cream in a social dining out situation. Even there you have choices. Have a salad and eat less pizza. See if the restaurant serves any kind of reduced calorie ice cream.

Chicken Garlic Pizza sounds sooooooo good. I want to hear more about it.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #9  

S/C/G: size24W/size12/size10

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
I I, myself, like things like swimming and hiking for fun, and body resistance exercises and heavy weight training for actual results
Arctic Mama - do you do heavy weight training while still creating a caloric deficit? If so, do you find that you still build muscle? Just curious about this because I hear a lot of differing info about heavy weight training being pointless if you're calorie restricting (not eating at maintenance). Just want to know your personal experience if you don't mind.
angieand2girls is offline   Reply With Quote