Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #1  

S/C/G: HW:280 CW:? GW:150

Height: 5 foot 5

Default why does my scale do this?

I get on my scale it shows 213.2, I get on again it shows 215.6 I get on again, it shows 210, I get on again it show 214.8 etc etc. I weigh three times and go with the number I see the most often. How is it possible to have so many different numbers like that within a minute or two? I changed batteries, same thing. This is a brand new scale but my old one did it too, hence the new scale. I weigh in the same spot, feet in same position, arms in same position so what happens?
tubolard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:09 AM   #2  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

You're not alone... This seems to happen to me a lot with digital scales as well... I like to think that it's just being "temperamental" because it knows how crazy it makes me

But in all seriousness... In my experience a good quality old fashioned scale with just a dial with numbers doesn't do that... So that's what I do to save my sanity in that sort of situation...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #3  
Krissy Missy

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

This is why I only weigh myself once in the morning. Maybe our scales do this because they're insulted that we don't believe what they tell us the first time - it's like we're calling them liars.
Missy Krissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:40 AM   #4  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

My scale does this too! I have the WW glass digital scale. I find that if I typically step on and off the scale about 6 times and usually there is one number that will come up 3 times. I pick that number.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:55 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefla70 View Post
My scale does this too! I have the WW glass digital scale. I find that if I typically step on and off the scale about 6 times and usually there is one number that will come up 3 times. I pick that number.
That's exactly what I do, but some days the same number doesn't come up more than once. Maybe I will go back to my old dial scale like TripSwitch suggested.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

My old digital scale did that regardless of new batteries. I went down to Walmart and got another for about $25. I don't care how often I get off and back on, that thing stays the same. The brand is Health O Meter if you're interested.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 298/ticker/175

Height: 5'7"

That is why I got rid of my digital scale. I now have an old fashioned balance beam scale that is accurate to a quarter of a pound. Yes, it's big but its accuracy has certainly settled me down.
Garnet2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #8  
Warrior Princess

Mine's a digital which has been pretty accurate but I'm only allowed one weigh in per day. If I get back on within minutes taking clothes on and off (just for giggles) it will tell me the same exact number to the ounce. It cuts me off after one weigh in. Very rude scale.

So one weigh in, naked. I have to play by its rules. Needless to say I hate that damn thing.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:23 AM   #9  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by novangel View Post
Mine's a digital which has been pretty accurate but I'm only allowed one weigh in per day. If I get back on within minutes taking clothes on and off (just for giggles) it will tell me the same exact number to the ounce. It cuts me off after one weigh in. Very rude scale.

So one weigh in, naked. I have to play by its rules. Needless to say I hate that damn thing.
Oh, that would drive me crazy. I'm obsessed with weighing. Even though I have an "official" weekly weigh-in, I weigh myself every day -- and several times throughout the day!
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 305.5/226.8/170

Height: 5'5"

I had the same issue...went through two scales (one of them the WW glass scale) before getting the EatSmart Precision scale. It has been awesome. I did the mega test on it by taking it around to three different hard surfaces, recalibrating every time (which is a nice feature that it has) and it gave me a very consistent weigh in with difference of only .4 lbs.

You have to keep in mind that every time you move or bump the scale, it needs to be recalibrated. So having one that can easily do that is a plus. Read the reviews for the EatSmart on amazon...it's worth it for the 'scale peace of mind' in my opinion!
LebenAlles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Like Garnet, I invested in a balance scale which I keep in my living room. LOL. I can't close the bathroom door if I keep it in there.

Yes, it's big, but there are no more questions. I still weigh myself too much, but it doesn't upset me anymore.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #12  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I have a Tanita digital scale that is eight years old, and thought it can register different numbers each time I step on it, the deviation is generally only +- .2 pounds off the first input. It's normal for digital scales as things like weight shifts or having our feet in a slightly different spot can cause a different pressure to register, but a good scale will generally have smaller than larger deviations. I've been super happy with mine, and its batteries have been changed maybe four times in the span we've owned it.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #13  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Are you sure the spot on the floor is completely level? Even if it's a hard surface, your floor may not be 100% level. (I moved into a 70-year old house a few months ago and had 'fun' dragging my scale around, looking for an actually level spot on the floor.)

Home Depot and Lowes sell tools called levels -- basically thick-looking rulers with small vials of liquid tilted in the center. You place it along an object and look if the air bubble in the vials is actually centered to determine if something is truly level.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiderata View Post
Are you sure the spot on the floor is completely level? Even if it's a hard surface, your floor may not be 100% level. (I moved into a 70-year old house a few months ago and had 'fun' dragging my scale around, looking for an actually level spot on the floor.)

Home Depot and Lowes sell tools called levels -- basically thick-looking rulers with small vials of liquid tilted in the center. You place it along an object and look if the air bubble in the vials is actually centered to determine if something is truly level.
I never thought about checking that! I highly doubt my floors are level. My house is at least 40 years old, made of at least second hand materials (We found built in shelves made of old signs with ads on the back of them, obviously reused boards, etc) and sits on pretty damp ground so i am sure it has settled crooked. If i dropped a marble I bet that thing would roll around all through the house and never stop, lol.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 13.3/12.10/9

Height: 5'4"

I have the WW glass scales as well and they do this to me all the time. Get so pleased when I step on them and they say I've lost like 2lbs overnight, then step on them again and I've gained! Sometimes i've no idea which number to take since they're never the same.

It's definitely the uneven floor though. I used to live in a modern flat with a concreted bathroom floor (it was completely solid anyway!) and they were always spot on, now living in a Victorian house with creaky wooden floorboards and my scales are unreliable!
Psyence is offline   Reply With Quote