General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2001, 03:19 PM   #1  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Thumbs down Positive Eating Plan aka PMD #55

Positive Eating Plan aka
Prevention Millennium Diet*

Daily servings
veg and fruits, 9 servings ( 5 veg/4 fruit)
whole grains, 3-6 servings
high-calcium, 2-3 servings

Weekly servings:
Beans - 5+
Nuts - 5
Fish - 2

Serving Sizes

veg. & fruit
1 serving = 1/2 c. chopped fruit
1/2 c. cooked or raw veg.
1 c. raw green leaves
3/4 c. veg or fruit juice

Whole Grains
1 serving = 1 slice whole wheat bread
1/2 rice or bulgar
1/2 c whole wheat pasta

Calcium 1 serving = 1 c ff or 1% milk
1 c ff yogurt
1 c calcium fortified O.J.
1 oz. reduced ff cheese

Supplements
100% DV multivitamin/mineral
500 (under 50) to 1000 (over 50) mg. calcium
100-400 IU Vit. E
100-500 mg Vit. C

Keep calories to 1500 a day - 250 cal. per meal. Eat 6 small meals a day. Do not exceed 42 fat grams per day.

Drink 8 glasses water and 1+ cup of tea daily.

* Copied from the Jan. 2000 issue of Prevention Magazine

Here is the website address for the Prevention Millennium Diet.

http://www.prevention.com/2000/diet/index.html

This is not necessarily a vegetarian diet. The guidelines summarized above are just that. In interpreting the guidelines, it is helpful to read the sample menus on the website as well as the more detailed principals of the diet.

Last edited by ledom; 04-13-2001 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-13-2001, 03:35 PM   #2  
Chick

Hey Ladies, How is everyone? I got to stay home for a 3 day weekend starting today and I can't tell you what a new lease on life it has given me. I have been PMDing all day and it feels great. Mowed my lawn just a while ago. It is a beautiful spring day. Perfect for kayaking but a day at home sounded even better to me this morning. I have been putzing around in the garden, doing some reading, catching up on e-mail. Two more weeks and I have 3 months of this glorious free time to look forward to. Sorry if I have been way too negative lately. Hopefully I am getting a second wind on this diet thing and will be back to my optimistic self. Happy Easter!
Old 04-15-2001, 06:34 PM   #3  

Happy Easter ladies! I'm sorry it's been so long since I've posted, but am going through the usual stuff like ya'll are. From reading everyone's posts, it seems like we are all stress eaters....and what do we reach for but SUGAR! I'm been in the same frame of mind as ya'll. I just want to eat sweets.....I'm really craving them continually. My cat seems to be doing better. We were going through a little issue. Mainly since she was so ill, she was going to the potty in the house. Now that's she's better, we were still having an issue. I have had to give her a whippin several times......nothing in the past two days so I hope it's over. Now I have to get the carpet cleaned, but at least she's feeling better. I know it's rough for me getting older, so I can imagine what's it like for her. She's going to be 20 years old next month! I have managed to maintain my weight, but it has been a struggle. Even though I have reached my goal weight (actually 5 lbs below that), I still struggle with food every day. Why does it have to taste so good is my question? A friend and I are going to a South American/Cuba style restaurant called The Samba Room this next week. The reviews are great for the atmosphere and food. I'm going to watch my calorie content until then....of course I had to have chocolate today.....stress on the parttime job. Ledom, I haven't had a chance to check on the horseback riding lessons, but you are definitely my inspiration for making our dreams happen. I hope everyone has a wonderful Easter. Talk to ya'll later!
Old 04-16-2001, 12:59 PM   #4  
Chick

Hello all, shebacat, you are doing great and you are going to have a fabulous summer. I'll be interested to hear what you have at the Cuban restaurant, I cooked a Cuban menu for my friends birthday a couple of weeks ago. judi, I made vegetable paprikash yesterday. I made it so much last winter that I got tired of it, but after a break I was ready for it again, it is a good batch and I am happy to have somehting healthy cooked. I did so-so over the weekend, no chocolate bunnies at least. Over all food was pretty good, kayaked once, have GOT to get more exercise in. Donna says hi, she is working hard these days.
Old 04-17-2001, 01:35 PM   #5  

Hi ladies!

Well, so far so good
kashi/nf milk and ff yogurt for a snack

The drive down the coast was beautiful. We are in Tehachapi Ca. now. It is so bright and warm. I am wearing my summer clothes. What an I doing living in a northern rainforest???

Shebacat, you are 5 lbs. under your goal?? You have no idea how encouraging it is to hear someone has actually done it.

Ledom, your 3 days off was just what you needed. I don't know how you working girls do it. I tip my hat.

Lana, how are things in eastern Canada?

Hope you are not too busy Bannod.

Have you girls tried the orange Clif Luna bar? I loved it.
Old 04-20-2001, 07:29 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Default Hello Girls!!!

Boy we must all be busy!! Hardly any postings this week...

Hello Ledom, Bannod, Judi, and Shebacat.....

Well Judi in the east it is going well, I actually went out without a jacket today and it wasn't cold... so that is a good thing, it was also sunny....It was around 18F or 65F.....so not too shabby...lol

Food and exercise wise it has been a good week....less than 1500 cals/daily and exercised almost every day, and drank my water too... Today had 1700 cals tho, but that's not too bad either....

Other than that it's been pretty quiet really, or maybe it hasn't , we had a bit of excitement in our city this week, being we are on a border and there's an international bridge in our town, we had bus loads of protesters pass through going to Quebec City for the Summit of the Americas, and everyone was on edge for a day...Some parents didn't let their kids go to school, I guess the kids convinced them that it was a good day for skipping...lol....But I see on the news that in Quebec City things are not so peaceful, the police have had to use tear gas and everything... So the weekend should be an interesting one for Quebecers...

Anywho!! Time to go...take care girls.....

Have a good OP weekend....

Lana...........
Old 04-21-2001, 07:38 AM   #7  
Chick

Default Hey...

I've been busy and also wasn't able to post because the board wouldn't let me. Not a good week diet wise, I had 3 good workouts though. Now I have a rotten cold, which never happens to me. I think poor diet, stressful lifestyle, lack of rest, etc. has taken its toll. Time to slow down and take care of myself. Just two more weeks and even they should be a little more relaxed than the last couple of months.

Shebacat, Lana, Judi, you all sound good. Lana, I hope things don't get out of hand near your town. I was seeing the news clip of some guy swinging from the top of a chainlink fence. Scary stuff.

Have fun in sunny Ca. judi, wish I was tagging along.

Well shebacat, you are MY inspiration, I want to succeed in losing weight like you have.
Old 04-21-2001, 02:47 PM   #8  

Hi everyone! Hope things are going well with ya'll. Ledom, you have been pretty busy these past few weeks, which is probably why you are a little run down. You're almost there......and then you'll have the summer to go kayaking and focus on you and your daughter. Judi and I went to the restaurant on Thursday, and it was fabulous. The atmosphere was great and the food even better. I had sea bass on coconut rice, and a salad with mixed greens, tangerines, avocados, and a vanilla vinagrette dressing. For desert (you know I had to have one), we split a Caribbean banana split that had bananas, homemade coconut ice cream, with a drizzle of chocolate. It was fabulous! I was totally embarrased though because I thought the valet service was complimentary, so neither Judi nor myself had any real money...just plastic. We both scrounged together $1.80 for the tip, but when the guy brought my truck up, and I apologized for the little amount, he told me it was $3.00 for the parking. I then had to dig through my truck for change. He kept telling me it was OK and not to worry about it, but I finally came up with $3.00 but no tip. Let this be a lesson to ya'll.....have a least $5.00 on you at all times. I know I learned my lesson. Judi, I always wanted to drive down the west coast....maybe in a few years. My mom has a friend that lives in Seattle, but I can't go anywhere now since I have my cat. Yes, my goal was 120 lb, but I lost 5 more after that....not trying to, but haven't yet been able to balance my food. I'm still working on it. Lana, sounds like ya'll are having a lot of excitement in your area. I haven't been watching the news at all since I've been so busy at work. Exercise has not been great either. My mom has been down the past few weeks, and I feel awkward exercising in front of her. I'm planning on taking a water aerobics and a water jogging class back to back this summer at the Junior college near work. I'm also thinking about signing up for a marathon training class. You meet with the instructor once a week to go over goals, schedules, etc. I'm not sure about that one though. Maybe next year. Of course, still planning on the horseback riding. Hope everyone has a great weekend, and talk to ya'll soon.
Old 04-24-2001, 01:56 AM   #9  

Hi ladies,

I am at home now. My DH has been going through some medical problems so I have been occupied with that. For the last few days I haven't been thinking about my diet or anything but I DON'T want to give up.

My D and her boyfriend were over last night and one of the things I made for a Tex Mex supper was Mexican Chilaquile. What a good recipe, thanks Ledom!! It has become a real stand by. If you other ladies haven't tried it give it a whirl.

It was nice to read your posts Lanaii, Shebacat and Ledom. Where are you Bannod? I hope our little thread isn't going to die out. You ALL have been such a wonderful support for me through MANY things not just dieting. I really appreciate you all.

For the next couple of days I will be going into to town with the DH because he has a few medical appts. I will check in with you all as soon as I can. Everyone have a good week!
Old 04-24-2001, 08:36 AM   #10  
Chick

Default Goodmorning...

judi, I am sorry to hear DH isn't feeling well. Good luck with Dr. appts. I have enjoyed this thread a lot too and I plan to keep posting. I'm sure I'll be posting your ears off when summer break gets here. The end is in sight.

Yesterday was a good diet day, and it was a struggle. An interesting experience, I so wanted to eat junk before lunch. I drove the store and just looked at food thinking what I'd like to buy and scarf down. I managed to do it until it was lunch time and then went back to the office and zapped my Amy's vegetable pocket. Of course I think I might gain weight just by looking at food, but it felt more like a round in a wrestling match. One for me. OK, I have just described one of my more neurotic behaviours. Anyway, I know what I need to do. Start cooking for the week on weekends again and get my exercise back. It is all a carefully constructed process and when one good habit goes, everything else becomes more tentative.

Glad you enjoy the Chiliquile, I feel the same about the Vegetable Paprikash you shared judi, just a good standby recipe. I have the new Cooking Light and there is an interesting looking caserole, kind of a polenta pie w/ swiss chard filling. I think I'll try it next time I cook.

Take care everyone.
Old 04-27-2001, 12:15 PM   #11  
Chick

Default Hey,

How is everything going? Judi, hope DH Dr. appts. have gone well.

Oh boy, I am blowing a lot of hard work it seems. **** bent on ruining my health when you get down to it. I have just had another horrible diet week and it is starting to show. I am just really trying to get myself revved up to start again. I have a start date in mind, it is about mid-week of next week. I just feel like I have to get the semester shut down and then I can concentrate on me, me, me!

This weekend I am going to a overnight with my girlfriends. We'll be at a friends house with a pool and while I am dreading first swimsuit outing, I will be with my wonderful non-judgemental girlfriends and getting some sun.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Old 04-29-2001, 06:19 PM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

Default Hi ya girls.....

How is everyone? Things are good here, altho I'm super tired, my son has finally caught the chicken pox. and I was up half the night with him, because poor child was itchy, not all over but on the head...
Now try to find them and put calamine lotion on them at 2am, 3am, 4am, poor child, he took a bath at 2am...Anyways, eventho I'm tired, I feel more for him because he's the one who can't touch them to scratch, poor thing....he'll be 13, May 15th, so it was about time he got it...Daughter should not be getting them soon too, there's a 14 day incubation period....so in another 2 weeks it will be her turn....Oh Joy!! .... Because I KNOW she will NOT be as mild mannered and as patient as he has been.... Oh well...lol...

Anyways I have to go D need help with homework... By the way, I've had an OK and only OK week food wise.....Tomorrow I joing Weight Watchers with a bunch of friends....

Lana........
Old 04-29-2001, 09:10 PM   #13  

Evening girls!

Sorry to hear about the chicken pox Lana. Well, it will be one less childhood illness to worry about for mom when you are through. Good for you for joining WW . IF I ever lose any weight I want to join them again, they even have one on the island now. I travel too much and it is too expensive to pay for all the missed meetings and all the weight I have to lose. I do count points and try to do the PMD. I have one of those point calculators and they are great. Are you still working too?

Still waiting for Dr. tests for my DH. He says he is feeling fine but I think he is saying that not too worry me.

Ledom, I hope you have a marvelous weekend. Still way to cold for bathing suit weather here. I am not doing well with my diet at all. Not eating a lot only 3 times a day and not snacking but sleeping and sleeping and not exercising. You are right about when one good habit goes etc. It is SO motivating doing the right thing too. I am not giving up I am just on "hold" for the moment. I make myself face facts by getting on the scale in the morning.
Old 04-30-2001, 01:23 AM   #14  
Chick

Default Good to read your posts...

judi and lana, I am in desperate need of motivation and you both have given me things to think about. The weekend was fun with too many champagne soaked strawberries. Very relaxing and fun.

I am ready to repent and change my ways though because I feel terrible. Sometime last week I crossed a weight that makes me feel really bad. I have let this happen within the last month, and judi I am afraid to weigh. So, here we go again. I am expecting tomorrow to be hard but it is a start date. Do you think I should weigh? I don't want to.

Anyway, joining ww sounds like a great way to jump start yourself lana, it'll be great to hear about the things you learn. Hope your son is on the mend and that you have gotten some rest today.

Bannod e-mailed and hopes to start posting again in a couple of weeks, she says hi.

Hi shebacat, how was your weekend?
Old 04-30-2001, 03:16 AM   #15  

Yes, let's START tomorrow!!! Weigh if you think it will help if it will make things harder than don't. You know what is best for you. But I will join you on the NEW start tomorrow Ledom! If we get a week of good days under our belt then we will be away!
Closed Thread