Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #1  
Foodie For Life

S/C/G: 192/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Feeling like you're losing but afraid to weigh-in...

How many of you have felt like this? At the beginning of my weight loss journey (this time around) I lost quite a bit rather quickly. I attribute this to 3 things. 1) I started counting every calorie. 2) I started riding my bike regularly and 3) I stopped taking my birth control pills which I have always attributed to my difficulty losing like a normal person (at least that's what I like to believe).

Last week I weighed in and hadn't lost anything... However, I switched things up a bit. Instead of counting every calorie and feeling like I was on a diet, I decided to nibble on what I wanted but had more frequent meals/snacks and stopped counting every single calorie that I consumed. Friday I over did it... And I was sure that I'd be paying for it this week.

That being said, my jeans are really loose this week, my tops not as snug and I FEEL like Ive lost weight. But I am too scared to get on the scale to see what change has transpired. Has aanyone else felt like this? Like they'd rather FEEL thinner than to know exactly how much has been lost? Im afraid if I get on the scale and find maybe I didnt lose as much as I think I did, I might lose motivation.
NolaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Hi there,

Even if you're scared, I suggest you get on the scale. If there's no damage you'll feel relieved, and if there is, you can nip it in the bud. In my experience, avoiding the scale is a sure route to denial and weight creep, while frequent weighing holds you accountable. I'm now in maintenance and weigh myself every day. If I didn't, I wouldn't be aware of the times I reach the top of my range (like this morning) and need to take quick action.

JMHO Freelance
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #3  
Angela

S/C/G: 155/138/126

I agree with freelancemomma about weighing in.
though I only weigh in once or twice a week, it is important that you know exactly what cards you are holding so that you can prepare yourself to defeat it next time.
masterptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:08 AM   #4  
Foodie For Life

S/C/G: 192/ticker/140

Thank you ladies for your insight. I did go ahead and weigh myself first thing this morning and Im showing a 2 lb loss. I believe you're right and that it's important to hold myself accountable for any gain or loss regardless of how I feel. I've always been one to avoid the scale which is part of the reason why I gained so much weight back after I had to stop running. I just couldn't convince myself that I was worth fighting for so to speak. When I finally did hit the scale in the 190's that was a defining moment for me.

I feel good knowing Ive lost, and it actually did give me a push to want to be "good" and I already fit in my morning workout that I've been avoiding. Thanks again!
NolaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:22 AM   #5  
Dedicated Yogi

S/C/G: 269/188/160

Height: 5'8 1/2 :)

recently, i have been avoiding the scale like the plague- it causes binges, gives me anxiety, and sometimes it's a let down.

with that said, i still weight 2-3 times a week (as opposed to every day)- but i have also been more stringent in counting then i was when i was weighing every day. can't do both- but one is sufficient in most cases.
stimkovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:48 AM   #6  

Height: 5'5"

When I think I have gained, I tend to jump on that scale! I can't do anything to make it so the gain never happened, but I want to celebrate future losses, and I won't know if I have those until I weigh. It's also good just to acknowledge that we will sometimes gain. Even if we eat fewer than 1000 calories a day, water fluctuations, food accumulation in the intestines, etc. will cause the scale to go up now and then.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #7  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

im a bit of a scale addict. sometimes i just have a feeling about it like its gonna be bad news. im usually right and even though its depressing it motivates me to work harder.

good job with the 2lbs!
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 205/188/140

Height: 5' 4"

I am going through a bit of that with Weight Watchers since my weigh in is in the evening. I will have lost according to my scale (nekkid in the morning) but according to theirs (and with clothes) I'm a couple more...arrgh. Truthfully, there have been occasions when I haven't gone because it drives me nuts.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #9  
*Embrace Power*

S/C/G: 332/279.8/195

Height: 5'5

I always weigh in the morning, daily, and have an official weigh in once a week, Friday mornings. I'm always nervous but I rather go ahead and find out so if I lost I can celebrate and if I gained I can go back through the week and see what might have caused the gain and try to do better next week.
Pink Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote