Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #1  

Talking If you're on the fence about WLS

I highly recommend it! I'm only a week and 1/2 post surgery but it has been the best decision I have EVER made. I feel so much better and seeing the results is the absolute best! I just wanted to share this I started my weight loss # from the day I started the liquid diet for surgery & I am down 41 lbs! I know that when researching you can get some if the negative feed back and I just wanted to put some positive out there
christyk28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

keep up the good work, christy -
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #3  

I totally understand! I've already decided if I do become that way I'm giving it to a relative or friend and have to go to their house to weigh lol. I'm making Sundays my "official" weigh in day so we'll see how it goes lol. Congrats on your loss so far can't wait to hear what it is when you go back to the doc
Old 10-15-2012, 04:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

Christy
Congratulations on your success. your posts just make me more excited for my upcoming surgery. How long pre-op were you on a liquid diet? I meant to ask this at my last appointment, but forgot.
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #5  

Lol thanks!! & even though I already had my surgery I'm still excited about it lol. I was on my pre op liquid diet for a week. I think that's what most are but I think there are some that are 2 weeks. They'll defiantly let you know before hand. The interesting thing I learned is the purpose if the liquid diet is to shrink your liver before hand so they can move it easily to get to your stomach. And if you don't it makes your surgery longer.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:12 AM   #6  

I didn't know that about the liver either.

I am a planner...I so wish I had a surgery date. Right now it is "sometime mid to late December." I am not good at one step at a time. Give me ALL the details and let me deal with them as I chose!
Old 10-16-2012, 03:34 AM   #7  
PRINCESS WITH A PLAN

Height: 5'5

Thanks for posting i am considering a wls but with all the info out there im not so sure. after reading this i believe im going to take the first step and talk to my doctor and go from there and see if its right for me.

just a question how long did it take from meeting your doctor to the actual surgery date. i read somewhere that it took someone a year to get everything to go through with hers? thanks im just curious
TIARA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:40 AM   #8  
Releasing the inner hiker

It took me about 13-14 months, but I am atypical.

My insurance had a 6 month waiting period/supervised diet requirement, but my surgical center had a weight loss requirement of 40lbs. It took me a year to lose those lbs, even using Medifast products.

I think for most people the process is closer to 6 months. Depending upon your center/insurance requirements, there can be a lot of medical checks, but most seem to finish them within 6 months.
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:43 AM   #9  
PRINCESS WITH A PLAN

Zeitgeist... thanks for the info..
Old 10-16-2012, 09:13 AM   #10  

Unfortunately my insurance wouldn't cover it so I was a self pay (had to get a loan) so mine was only about 2 months.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:33 AM   #11  
PRINCESS WITH A PLAN

Thanks for answering my question, ive decided to give it one last go at dieting and exercising and if i fail i will go to my dr's and figure out my options.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #12  
Old Cackler

you have to make the decision that's right FOR YOU. just want to leave you with this thought: one of the main reasons i had the surgery was NOT to lose the weight. I know that i could have done it ONE MORE TIME on some medifast-type diet. I had surgery so that i would have the best possible chance of KEEPING IT OFF. I needed my life back - in so many ways - including to stop being obsessive about every single thing i put in my mouth [or didn't, as the case may be].

while you're doing the diet and exercise thing, keep an eye on your emotions and how they affect your eating [either way!]. It'll help you no matter which road you go.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #13  

Yep! Totally agree with jiffy! If you do decide to do it though we'll be here for ya
Old 10-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #14  

Tiara-
I have not had surgery...yet. One thing you might want to think about before giving it one more try is this: Most insurance companies require you to be on a doctor supervised weight loss plan for 6 months before you have surgery. I would reccoment seeing your doctor and start the surgery process, if you get a surgery date (which for hasn't happened yet and I have been on the doctor supervised plan for over 4 months, you can push it back and see how it goes for you. I have been consistantly losing approximately 3 pouns a week for the past 17 weeks. But even if I keep it up at that rate for the full six months, I will still be obese. I too like Jiffy, have lose weight many times. I want to give myself the best possible chance of keeping the weight off. I need an additional tool to help me achieve that.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #15  

I like your 2 cents Kate